Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

So they didn't say you could turn them off in the keynote I take it.

Say what do think of the new 1400 API in iOS 5.
  • Reply 82 of 226
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There are 500 new features in Apples new iOS. Can you take your insane fan boi-ism to an Android forum? And let us discuss the new features of the device we own.

We'll do a deal when google have a conference, if they do, we won't post irrelevancies on Android forums. That would be nuts.

What are you talking about? I'm asking about an iOS 5 feature.

I want to know if I can turn off notifications appearing in the lockscreen.
  • Reply 83 of 226
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    @chronster

I disagree. I think the slew of Tablets we are seeing is a direct result of manufacturers riding Apple's wave rather than them having an epiphany about what a consumer desires or needs.

Overkill? The netbook isn't overkill - It's barely even functional.
  • Reply 84 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

What are you talking about? I'm asking about an iOS 5 feature.

I want to know if I can turn off notifications appearing in the lockscreen.

We dont know. Now why not get angry about Apple has leapfrogged Android on an Android forum. That leaves the sane people here , people who watch the release of operating systems they actually own, to discuss the actual release v
  • Reply 85 of 226
    Quote:

We dont know. Now why not get angry about Apple has leapfrogged Android on an Android forum. That leaves the sane people here , people who watch the release of operating systems they actually own, to discuss the actual release v

You are one weird guy.

If you don't know something, just don't post. Thanks.
  • Reply 86 of 226
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

SO NOW... iPads are considered PC. You know.. since we've been all told that they are not PC because you need to tether them to PCs to use them

Yes, and no -- the iPad is now officially a post-pc device.

BTW, my 11-year-old grandson (with direction from his 15-year-old sister) did his final term project entirely on an iPad, using iMovie.

He got his grade today... A+... With a comment on his final report card -- "Best EVER project".

That grade, along with the interest, skills and confidence gained, repaid the investment in the iPad -- many times over...

Up until this year, he had always been a poor to average student.

...one happy, grampy!
  • Reply 87 of 226
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They are scratching at the walls. When you have the better implementation the only play they have is who had it first.
  • Reply 88 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are scratching at the walls. When you have the better implementation the only play they have is who had it first.

Looks to me like a piece of crap.

I'm asking about features to help me decide if I should switch to Android.
  • Reply 89 of 226
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Well I think the reason this was underwhelming for a lot of people is because it seems a good chuck of the big hitters in this keynote were fixing deficiencies.

Personally I really love what saw. No I didn't see alot of surprises, but I considered Android as being fairly equal but based on your own usage most people certainly should prefer one over the other.

Well, this put alot of Android advantages to bed IMO. Even apple just fixing things and adding some already available features is a big deal.

I think a bigger screen is the last big thing to address, but I do think these improvements make iOS and the iPhone #1 again for the mass majority.

Have to admit though, I'm disappointed in the waiting, thats not typical of apple for existing product updates. Should have been in July with Lion IYAM.

I really hope that some additional features come on board, otherwise it doesn't seem to make sense that they are making everyone wait for 3 more months. Facebook integration would have been 1000x more useful than twitter for me, but thats a personal complaint.
  • Reply 90 of 226
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Looks to me like a piece of crap.

I'm asking about features to help me decide if I should switch to Android.

I think you're asking the wrong people- We are yet to use iOS 5.
  • Reply 91 of 226
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

When can we start signing up for the free @me.com accounts?

When you upgrade to iOS5 or buy an iDevice with iOS5 on it.
  • Reply 92 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think you're asking the wrong people- We are yet to use iOS 5.

So it seems they didn't say whether or not you could turn off notifications appearing in the lock screen.

Fair enough. I guess I'll just wait.
  • Reply 93 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All the little things will really add up in this update. The greatly enhanced mail, camera and other apps are some of the things on my wish list. The funny thing here is that I really don't care about notifications that seem to have taken over this thread, it really isn't important how they are done for me as long as I get the message.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that no new hardware has been announced yet, grooving on the idea of a 15" AIR. Also the tumors about new Time Capsules was enticing. I have to wonder if we will have an announcement later this month.

Yeah, the "home-server" -- maybe better called called iCloud-Local -- is still a need to be filled.

It could have been announced here -- but maybe better at the end of the month -- or sometime before the FCPX announcement in July.

The fact that Apple is very much into shuffling around only delta data makes me believe that this concept will be a major part of media management for Pro apps.
  • Reply 94 of 226
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Kind of like this one Apple introduced in 1992?

• Reply 95 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Google is the least dangerous to Apple in terms of actually going to sue. Since Android itself is under the GNU license, Google won't really have a case unless Apple specifically steals code or specific functions from proprietary apps.

If I was Apple I would be checking the crowd for HTC and Samsung personnel, Which CAN sue on the base of their OEM skins which are not by default bare Android.

Are you kidding me? Because something is licensed under GNU GPL doesn't mean it doesn't have trademarks, copyrights, etc.
  • Reply 96 of 226
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, and no -- the iPad is now officially a post-pc device.

BTW, my 11-year-old grandson (with direction from his 15-year-old sister) did his final term project entirely on an iPad, using iMovie.

He got his grade today... A+... With a comment on his final report card -- "Best EVER project".

That grade, along with the interest, skills and confidence gained, repaid the investment in the iPad -- many times over...

Up until this year, he had always been a poor to average student.

...one happy, grampy!

Congrats!
  • Reply 97 of 226
    Anyone catch that only devices compatible with iOS 4.3 are eligible? That means Verizon iPhone users, like myself, aren't going to get it. We waited...only to get screwed!
  • Reply 98 of 226
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Anyone catch that only devices compatible with iOS 4.3 are eligible? That means Verizon iPhone users, like myself, aren't going to get it. We waited...only to get screwed!

I suspect that the Verizon iPhone 4 will be supported by iOS 5. I think only iPhone 3G was dropped since that model is approaching three years old and iOS 4 had performance issues on it.
  • Reply 99 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.

Sadly, you may be right...

The MR feed said that Steve didn't look good -- just tired.

There are a few missing bits -- but the way we interact with content, and each other and our devices was redefined today... Likely, that renaissance will outlast my generation -- but empower generations to come.

What an inspiring example Steve Jobs has presented!
  • Reply 100 of 226
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    I was all set to buy an Android based phone. iOS5 addressed everything I thought was missing in the iPhone. Now, I'm seriously rethinking.

I think Apple was smart in copying BBM, Android notifications and others UI's. These are things people want and Apple listened.

Biggest thing I am happy to see is now wireless integration. I have collected about 10 of those stupid 30pin to USB connectors. Maybe the new iPods, iPads and iPhones will switch to micro-USB connectors?