Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    dr.buzzdr.buzz Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yargok View Post

How does this iCloud work for those of us who share an AppleID within a family? For example, my wife and I share our iTunes app purchases, but don't want to sync our calendars and mail. Is it possible to divorce the two?

One user? Not a problem, but not perfect either.

1. Contacts, make separate groups, hers and his, only sync either one to your device

2. Calendars, make separate calendars, only sync yours. Though, its nice to have my wife's schedule on my phone, I just hide it most of the time and then look at it when I need to cross check a date.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    OK, I admit that I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

But am I the only one who is a little confused by all of this? I mean, I kind of get it, but not really.
  • Reply 83 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titomcgee View Post

Looks like Apple is taking care of people until June 30 next year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

My MobileMe family pack has been extended until June 30, 2013.

That's great but what I'm trying to understand is what do I get with MobileMe that I don't with the free iCloud?

Bookmark syncing I certainly hope.

Just don't understand why Apple would extend a service that is being replaced. It's not even about the money, just wondering what I'm missing.

Any clues?
  • Reply 84 of 155
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

So far I am getting the run around from Apple support. They won't offer a refund without canceling the account. This account renewed 1 week prior to the free extension. How many times do we have to see this pattern from Apple? They are going to end up giving the refunds to people, but first it gets to blow up into a needless PR storm.

This post is so silly on so many levels. FIRST, why would you be trying to receive a refund before iCloud is even out or without canceling the service you paid for? Second, why would you feel you deserve a refund for a product that is still in effect? Third, once iCloud ACTUALLY goes active in the fall, you can cancel your MoblieMe service and receive a refund for time not used. At this point you can happily use your free iCloud service, which btw is a KILLER fucking deal for an Mac OS or iOS user.

It's people like you that jump, before making informed decisions, that create a PR storm out of nothing. YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK for services not rendered. It's all laid out, you only need to read.
  • Reply 85 of 155
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) No one paid $100 at the MobileMe site yesterday.

2) Hasn't it been over a month since MobileMe signup has been stopped and sold, at least by Apple.

3) Apple offers returns with no restocking fees for HW so would it seems feasible to me that if you have a (MobileMe or .Mac) that was oddly purchased from a 3rd-party recently you'll get a refund. However, I know I bought and used .Mac serials long after MobileMe came about so they will have to sort about potential abuse hence my mention of "purchased recently."

None of this helps me. On Friday last week, my MobileMe subscription AUTO RENEWED to the tune of $149. This means I will get about 30 days free at the tail end of this, but frankly I am still a bit peeved. Can't do much about it anyway, so just carrying on!

Edited to add.

Didn't think about canceling before the end, that will work actually. Thanks for pointing that out. Ok, no longer peeved.
  • Reply 86 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

None of this helps me. On Friday last week, my MobileMe subscription AUTO RENEWED to the tune of $149. This means I will get about 30 days free at the tail end of this, but frankly I am still a bit peeved. Can't do much about it anyway, so just carrying on!

And you called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they said they couldn't refund you that money from 4 days ago?
  • Reply 87 of 155
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I can't be the only one that was momentarily tricked by this optical illusion.

It is an interestingly cropped image by Engadget. Either that or it's the new MobileMiniMe.

I found an old article about the data center:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/02/...tions.delayed/

It seems to have been custom-built, which is likely the most cost-effective way when it's a data center that size. So it likely does have Apple hardware inside running Mac software.

Thing is though, if they've made some 'landmark' achievements in efficiency and engineering, surely it would make sense to bring some of that design back to the Mac Pro. I personally think one of those server blades would be pretty neat sitting vertically.
  • Reply 88 of 155
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:

And you called 1-800-MY-APPLE and they said they couldn't refund you that money from 4 days ago?

Not going to call, like I said, I'm not worrying about it as someone else pointed out that I can cancel and get refunded for the unused portion. That works for me. I tend to hold back and wait and see what they do. So far have not be disapointed.
  • Reply 89 of 155
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacinScott View Post

Just don't understand why Apple would extend a service that is being replaced. It's not even about the money, just wondering what I'm missing.

Any clues?

MobileMe services NOT supported by iCloud:

- iDisk

- MobileMe Web Gallery (for sharing pictures and movies with anyone or password protected)

- iWeb site hosting

- Web interface for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, iDisk and account info

As of now, it looks like all those services will be gone as of June 30, 2012.
  • Reply 90 of 155
    That stinks.

I don't really use those services much but I just converted to a family pack to get my wife @me email address and web access to email and calendars since she's on a company Blackberry.
  • Reply 91 of 155
    madivanmadivan Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

This post is so silly on so many levels. FIRST, why would you be trying to receive a refund before iCloud is even out or without canceling the service you paid for? Second, why would you feel you deserve a refund for a product that is still in effect? Third, once iCloud ACTUALLY goes active in the fall, you can cancel your MoblieMe service and receive a refund for time not used. At this point you can happily use your free iCloud service, which btw is a KILLER fucking deal for an Mac OS or iOS user.

It's people like you that jump, before making informed decisions, that create a PR storm out of nothing. YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK for services not rendered. It's all laid out, you only need to read.

Simple. The policy should be fair to all paid users, not be based on an arbitrary cut off date. Apple certainly knew that they would be doing this when they billed my account on May 29. The equitable thing would be to offer a pro-rated refund based on the date of billing through the date when the service effectively became free. This is my opinion. You are welcome to hold a different one. The thing about marketing, which is what this comes down to, is that the opinions of customers matter.

Calling me silly is not helpful to the discussion. I admit to venting a little frustration when I pointed out that this looks like a pattern we have seen before from Apple (and to be fair many other companies.) My intent is not to slam Apple, which on the whole has excellent customer relations. My intent is to share information with other people who may be in a similar situation.
  • Reply 92 of 155
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is an interestingly cropped image by Engadget. Either that or it's the new MobileMiniMe.

I found an old article about the data center:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/02/...tions.delayed/

It seems to have been custom-built, which is likely the most cost-effective way when it's a data center that size. So it likely does have Apple hardware inside running Mac software.

They will need lots of storage and I see NetApp in that picture.
  • Reply 93 of 155
    Quote:

How does this iCloud work for those of us who share an AppleID within a family? For example, my wife and I share our iTunes app purchases, but don't want to sync our calendars and mail. Is it possible to divorce the two?

that was a bit freudiian :P
  • Reply 94 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

They will need lots of storage and I see NetApp in that picture.

I hope they are using NetApp. Ever since the company I work for upgraded to NetApp, the speed increase has been amazing
  • Reply 95 of 155
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

That is exactly what I am thinking!! I renewed mine in March, and now this happens... WTH?

I actually like MM and I upgraded in April. I don't have any complaints. This isn't the first week that the iCloud system was first described. The rumors have been going on for nearly a year. Anyone who has visited this site in the past three months had a pretty good idea that MM was going to disappear. For me, the $150 (family pack) was worth it, even for just a few months, for the continuity of the service. Anyone else who has been around here and is bitching about paying for MM deserves what they got -- it's not like there hasn't been a clear indication that MM was going to be replaced at some point this year.

Me? I'm perfectly good with the whole arrangement. I'm still getting what I was willing to pay for in April. The fact that some people might get a similar service for free doesn't change the fact that I was happy paying for it in April and it's still worth that same amount of money to me now.

Matthew 20:1-16
  • Reply 96 of 155
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

This is what I want to know too.

If two people use one Apple ID and one gets a new one - can they both have separate iCloud content for photos, calendar, contacts, email, but BOTH access the iTunes Match content? And apps?

Or is this something that's going to force people to buy multiple copies of an app in a household - if they want to take full advantage of iCloud individually?

I have more questions than answers.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    I have to say, I was rather impressed with the whole presentation. I could do without all the twitter stuff. I think the iCloud implementation was well-conceived (not surprised). Hopefully it will deliver as promised, though I'm optimistic?they wouldn't spend $1 billion on some slap-dash outfit held together with duct-tape and chewing gum. I like how iCloud works mostly in the background. Question for Apple: Will we get file-level control over what the cloud has access to and control over which devices certain content gets "pushed" to? We won't necessarily want everything sent to every device all the time.

I liked the shot inside the datacenter ("Cloud City"?). I'm wondering if we're seeing the future of the Mac Pro, or an Apple-designed blade? If Apple can trust their gear to host 18 million songs and millions of users' data, photos and documents, I think it would not be hard for Apple to sell their same gear to the wider enterprise/pro market.

I think Apple will keep the 5 GB thing free "forever", and probably in the future, allow users to buy more storage space if they want.
  • Reply 98 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Was there any mention of iCloud using delta encoding? To be clear, I know they mentioned delta updates for both iOS and iOS App Store app updates, but I'm talking about a Dtopbox-like service.
  • Reply 99 of 155
    madivanmadivan Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I actually like MM and I upgraded in April. I don't have any complaints. This isn't the first week that the iCloud system was first described. The rumors have been going on for nearly a year. Anyone who has visited this site in the past three months had a pretty good idea that MM was going to disappear. For me, the $150 (family pack) was worth it, even for just a few months, for the continuity of the service. Anyone else who has been around here and is bitching about paying for MM deserves what they got -- it's not like there hasn't been a clear indication that MM was going to be replaced at some point this year.

Me? I'm perfectly good with the whole arrangement. I'm still getting what I was willing to pay for in April. The fact that some people might get a similar service for free doesn't change the fact that I was happy paying for it in April and it's still worth that same amount of money to me now.

Matthew 20:1-16

I would have liked to keep this discussion rational, but you had to go and cite the Bible of all things.

So your argument seems to be that we should base our decisions on rumors. If we don't do so, then we have no right to be unhappy with a decision that was made or to seek redress if we feel that it was not to our advantage. Of course, you did cite the Bible, so perhaps you do think that people should base their decision on stories and here say rather than on verifiable facts.

If you are happy with the arrangement you have, then good for you. If others are not, then they are certainly entitled to attempt to renegotiate.

Perhaps the lesson of the Bible story you cited is that the day laborers should have unionized so as not to be at the mercy of the wealthy land owner. Or is it that when conducting business with Christians you should charge them more and pay them less because they won't care? Is it that the rich can do whatever they want? Is it that the poor are powerless and subject to the fiat of the wealthy and powerful? Or maybe it's just a 2,000 year old story that's been through numerous translations and doesn't mean anything at all. I'm so confused.

I don't think this is an appropriate forum for a theological discussion. Since the Bible was brought in I felt it appropriate to offer a rebuttal. Feel free to respond to this post, but don't expect a response as I don't think the forum moderators would appreciate it.
  • Reply 100 of 155
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So that copy of MobileMe I didn't activate that I got with my 1st-gen iPad on launch day...

...is now just a relic of a bygone age, then?

It's apple's fault you didn't activate it and use it for the past 12 months?