iMessage clarification

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Can some of you folks clarify how this iMessage system will work for IOS5?

I have never used the BBM so I have no bearing on comparison.

So iMessage allows you to send MMS/SMS messages to other IOS5 users and continue the conversations among many of your own IOS5 devices.

So if you intend to SMS a buddy who has the verizon iphone running ios5, you will not be changed against your SMS plan?

I have the small SMS plan with ATT, so i am hoping that anyone I SMS that has IOS5 I wont be charged against my SMS plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpudLime View Post

Can some of you folks clarify how this iMessage system will work for IOS5?

No, because none of us have it.

Likely it'll be by Apple ID. You then pick a contact and send them a message, same as an e-mail or text.

Quote:

So if you intend to SMS a buddy who has the verizon iphone running ios5, you will not be changed against your SMS plan?

Again, we can't possibly know. It's likely that from an iPhone you'll be using SMS quota and from an iPod touch or iPad you'll be sending infinite free messages.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpudLime View Post

It says it uses 3G and wifi:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#imessage

so it's to SMS what Skype is to phonecalls.

I don't suppose the network carriers will be too worried yet as it's limited to iOS devices so texting Android devices etc will be charged. I personally hope it gets the ball rolling a bit further towards never being charged per text or phonecall.

I'm perfectly happy to pay a monthly fee just for a data connection and then let me do what I like within a certain bandwidth limit.

There are already cross-platform data texting apps and I suppose you could call Twitter one too so it's definitely the way things ought to go. Although part of me is a little bemused that so many people prefer to use what seems like a very primitive form of email that through successive iterations appears to be catching up to the 1970s technology.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hstrhstr Posts: 1member
    ... so it should automatically send via iMessage if possible, and otherwise via SMS. I hope this also means that 3g iPad will have access to SMS then.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hstr View Post

... so it should automatically send via iMessage if possible, and otherwise via SMS. I hope this also means that 3g iPad will have access to SMS then.

I was incorrect.

iMessage is free. Everything. NO SMS count. NO MMS count.

Text. Pictures. Video. All free. Even on iPhones. This marks the end of texting plans.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The basics of my question therefore comes to the following points that if someone could briefly address I should have a much clearer understanding on why the above happens and hopefully an idea on how to solve it:

Why is there no INote interface? Is it expected that the IMessage interface be used for the majority (all?) of Exchange items?

Is there some process I am missing where I can open an item in a more generic sense to access ALL fields of an item that are obviously stored (as proved by Exchange Explorer and the change of content class)?

Is there anything obviously wrong with my technique, despite it appearing to work as I require that is indirectly causing me to run into this issue?

Thank you in advance for the time you've give to read and (hopefully) answer my questions. If there is any further information you feel would allow for a better answer don't hesitate to request it.