Apple's WWDC 2011 keynote video stream now available

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Monday's keynote event at the 2011 Worldwide Developers Conference, including the unveiling of iOS 5 and iCloud and a closer look at Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, is now available online.

The entire 118-minute presentation can be streamed from Apple's site. The keynote was kicked off by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, and includes other members of the company's executive team, including senior vice president for Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller, and Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iOS Software.

The company announced that Lion, its next Mac operating system, will be available on the Mac App Store in July for just $29.99. It also offered the first look at iOS 5, which will come to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch this fall with a new Notification Center and wireless system updates.

Apple also took the wraps off of iCloud, its free service that will automatically sync data, including photos and documents, between Macs, PCs and iOS devices. Some components of iCloud, including re-downloading of iTunes songs and a list of purchased App Store software, are already available.

Jobs's trademark "one more thing" at Monday's event was the new iTunes Match service, which will launch this fall. For $24.99 per year, it will scan a user's library of songs, including those ripped from their own CDs, and match them up to the library of 18 million songs in the iTunes Store. Users can then re-download those songs on any device.

Monday's keynote kicks off this week's conference, which will run through Friday, June 10. Apple will host more than 100 technical sessions designed to help developers make applications for iOS 5 and Lion, including integration with new iCloud-specific features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Watching it now - Lion is pretty awesome too.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "Revert to Last Opened" - I think "Revert to Last Manual Save" would be better.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Terribly bad presentation.

They go over every little feature that's already been explained and demonstrated for months now. Here's swiping. Here's launch pad. Yada yada. And with no way to skip ahead, I just had to turn it off.

And poor Steve Jobs looks like a walking skeleton.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Terribly bad presentation.

They go over every little feature that's already been explained and demonstrated for months now. Here's swiping. Here's launch pad. Yada yada. And with no way to skip ahead, I just had to turn it off.

And poor Steve Jobs looks like a walking skeleton.

Can some one rid us of this troll?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Can some one rid us of this troll?

It's a flop, my friend. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Can someone rid of of this troll?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Can someone rid of of this troll?

Don't worry.

Pile this dud of a release on top of Apple's support of Foxconn and their inhumane treatment of their employees, Apple's poor handling of private user data, their overpriced dev program, their poorly organized online stores filled with junk software, and there's and good chance I'm leaving on my own.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:

Don't worry.

Pile this dud of a release on top of Apple's support of Foxconn and their inhumane treatment of their employees, Apple's poor handling of private user data, their overpriced dev program, their poorly organized online stores filled with junk software, and there's and good chance I'm leaving on my own.

I have here the world's smallest violin for when you leave.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I have here the world's smallest violin for when you leave.

And I have hip boots on for all the fan boys running around trying to spin this flop as the next great thing. Cause it's gonna get deep.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

And I have hip boots on for all the fan boys running around trying to spin this flop as the next great thing. Cause it's gonna get deep.

You do realise that when this "flop" inevitably becomes successful you're going to look even more of a dick than you already do?
  • Reply 11 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I just finished watching it and I'm going to give my 2 cents. I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a delusional tin foil hat wearing person, so I wasn't really expecting any exciting hardware announcements or anything crazy to happen, besides what had already been announced beforehand.

All of the three things that were shown off seemed pretty good. Lion seems good, and I bet a lot of people were happy when they heard the dirt cheap price for it. iOS 5 seems to be a big improvement and the wireless sync features and wireless iOS downloads will no doubt come in handy for many people. And last but not least, iCloud also seems pretty interesting. Apple spent a shitload of money on those data centers. I don't think that many people predicted that the mobileme service which cost $99 a year before would now become iCloud and become totally free while being greatly expanded and improved upon. Who can complain about that? The iTunes match service seems nice too, at least for those people who do have a lot of songs which were not purchased through iTunes.

Anybody who thinks that this keynote was a disappointment needs to get their head checked out. Apple could have just as easily ended up charging $129 for Lion and $100 for iCloud. All Apple users basically got a lot of added features and extra storage space for free today.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

Don't worry.

FoxConn is used by MANY other manufacturers.

Apple is the one company that has been pushing them to improve relations and treatment of their workers.

Now, inhumane treatment of Apple Store employees, maybe.

Apple store COULD be more organized -- but how? It's kind of Developer-driven in that they define their application.

"Junk software" -- well, sure, somewhat, but Apple is the only company actively trying to trim the fat and reduce "redundant junk" and keep best of class apps -- because they have so many. compare this to WHAT other company? Android apps have to be researched to know where to get them, and if they run on your particular model/provider and THEN the equivalent apps, if they come from the iPhone, are usually limited in features from the Mac version.

>> If you think the Keynote was a dud -- well, thanks for your opinion.

Personally, though I've been following some of these features -- the iCloud services blew me away in that, up until now, I really didn't want to bother. But the seamless syncing, and the access to your media content -- awesome if it works! The calendar and mail improvements -- great.

I HAVE seen these "features listed" before, but the actual way you interact with them -- really well done in the details.

>> The messaging service on the iPhone -- that is HUGE for people using a phone. Apple's messaging stunk, to be honest, and the others "stunk less." But this new way of handling things makes it best in class.

>> I also really, really like the ability to split the keyboard -- sure, small detail, but that's why we like Apple. WE use this crap.

.... so, I don't know why YOU are wasting your time, dude. Really, it's not the biggest deal on the planet -- so why don't you spend your time with something you care about.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You do realise that when this "flop" inevitably becomes successful you're going to look even more of a dick than you already do?

No.

Like so many other people who blog "noise" into the internet each day -- they move on to the next thing to poop on. Like Sea Gulls. They never revisit their own history and prognostications, nor do they every learn. They just keep on squawking -- enjoying the sound of their own noise over the din of other's of their species; all pooping, squawking and flying on to visit others with their gifts.

I don't think this is trolling, because there is no pleasure gained by the response, merely in the excretions.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

You are a flop, my friend.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Well the angry anti-Apple trolls are running around hatin, which means the keynote was awesome.

Dey be hatin, we be rolin'
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

WEll my ex-rugby playing body is a bit bettered these days but I still reckon I could take all 5'2'' of you, well all 5'2'' in hip- boots. Whatever a hip boot is. Something a bit hick, Im guessing.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Tekstud, you've worn out your barely tolerable presence here. Would you do everyone a favor and throw yourself under a bus already?
  • Reply 19 of 56
    mintmint Posts: 17member
    He has got a point on one issue though. No way of controlling the video? My screen saver kicked and the video went all jerky. I refreshed the page expecting to be able to skip to where I was again. If this is the future of HTML 5 video I don't like it any more lol
  • Reply 20 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That was a very feature filled presentation. So much stuff. Steve looked a little tired in the beginning but his energy seemed to come back in the iCloud part. I think iCloud is going to seem very futuristic when I first start using it.