Apple to sell Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for $29.99 only in Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 139
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curtwilliams View Post

The carefully worded video at http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/#video-lion says "...and the Mac App Store is the only place to go to download Lion."

Not the only place to get Lion, but the only place to download it.

This seems to leave open the possibility of buying a Lion disc.

How is the up-to-date program going to work for those who buy a new Mac from today onwards? Will they receive a disk in the mail (like what Apple did with SL)?

Or, will they be able to download it for free from the App store? If they do, will they be able to then install it on all their previous Macs?
  • Reply 42 of 139
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member
    OK, got it.
  • Reply 43 of 139
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Intel computers were here long before Snow Leopard - my brother has an Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro, and he's still running Tiger.

Lion won't run on Core Duo macs.
  • Reply 44 of 139
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

How is the up-to-date program going to work for those who buy a new Mac from today onwards? Will they receive a disk in the mail (like what Apple did with SL)?

Or, will they be able to download it for free from the App store? If they do, will they be able to then install it on all their previous Macs?

Seems likely it will be a free download. I think people are stretching to think that it will be sold on DVD, the wording from apple has a tiny bit of wiggle room but it sure looks like download only.
  • Reply 45 of 139
    waannnnwaannnn Posts: 2member
    [QUOTE=nagromme;1876290]I?m sure yes?making the price $60 instead of the usual $129.

Basically, then, it?s like Snow Leopard users getting a super cheap upgrade deal, and everyone else getting a super cheap ?full price? (less than half the usual $129, which was always much cheaper than Windows?we?re spoiled!)

You are using proprietary hard systems, for which you paid and now to pay for OS too. To me it look like double dipping.
  • Reply 46 of 139
    rossthebossrosstheboss Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nah buddy, you're wrong about that, I'm not Ron Jeremy. And besides, that's what females were made for.

Oh. My. Dog. You're actually a stereotype. Un-be-frickin-lievable.
  • Reply 47 of 139
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Meh... \

Maybe it's just me, but I was a bit underwhelmed. It doesn't really seem like a full point upgrade. It's like an amalgamation of some goodies here and there that will mean a lot to some people and very little to others. Personally, I am not at all a fan of taking the iOS experience and putting on the desktop. It works great for an iOS device, not so much for a Mac.

The features in this upgrade are really not that compelling. I think I'll be skipping it. I will say that it definitely is priced right.
  • Reply 48 of 139
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Just so it's clear up front: I think Lion has a lot of interesting features that many user will like. What I write below is simply my opinion on Lion's negatives WRT how I use my Mac for work and fun.

I have been a part of Apple's Appleseed beta program since it began in March. I've been totally immersed in Lion as I've used it for eight-ten hours a day as my primary OS. It has resided on an OWC SSD inside my early 2009 Mac Mini.

1. Preview. I absolutely detest the "versioning" feature in the Lion version of Preview, even though a couple of fellow commenters provided some interesting thoughts about it. My way of doing things since the 1970s is to save early and often, using the cmd-s key combo on Macs since day 1. While some applications will do an auto-save for you, these saves are the entire document. You can all go read on the Apple site how the new versioning works in Preview so I won't go into it here. My problem is that I cannot save a new copy to save my soul. Recently I needed to send a single page from a 20-page PDF document. I thought I had deleted all but the one page in Preview yet the person to whom I sent it asked why I sent everything. So Preview saved the whole document, not just the single page that I wanted. This is the tip of my war against Preview.

2. Mail The new mail really likes to group threads together, even combining previously-read eamils that I thought I had trashed. When I trash an email, I expect it to be gone. Yes, I know that you can go "delete the email trash" somehow, but I really don't want old emails being resurrected just to join a thread. And yes, Mail has an option to have it behave like the old Mail.

3. No Rosetta I know, we have to move forward so OS X doesn't get bloated with support for legacy apps but there are two programs that I use several days a week that are Rosetta-based, so I have needed to boot into Snow Leo just to perform some work with them. Please, no flames about this point!

4. Sluggish It may be my older computer but when I run Lion for a day or two without restarting, overall performance gets jumpy. I'll be typing along when all of a sudden the cursor simply stops even though I'm still typing. After a couple of seconds, the text that I've typed will suddenly appear and off we go again. Other things that happen are slow window drags, slow scrolling (I use a scroll wheel) and slow window refreshes. I've opened Activity Monitor and that shows nothing hogging the memory or processor. According to AM things are working fine. I've booted on my Lion backup drive and I get the same results. Restarting clears things up.

5. Loss of color I really like having colorful icons in my sidebar and elsewhere so this shift by Apple toward shades of gray is not to my liking. It's hard to distinguish among several objects if there aren't the traditional color cues.

6. Address Book I use it a lot and while the look of the new version is nice, it tries to be too smart for me. I like the way the traditional AB looks with three columns and I dislike having to go back and forth from the groups area to individual cards. It's just not comfortable for me.

7. Spotlight Most of the time when I use Spotlight to search for something, I like to know where that file is located. In the Snow Leo Spotlight, a tooltip appears when you mouse over an item that shows the path. This is much easier for me than having to do a cmd-click to open the file's enclosing folder. I don't want to go to the folder, I just want to know where it is.

===

While I've been using Lion I noticed a number of apps that don't work under Lion, though developers assure me that there will be Lion versions soon after it's announced. Having gone through the same process with other OS X releases, I have a lot of confidence in the development community

In closing I do want to mention that there are some very attractive new features but they aren't compelling enough for me to buy and install the FCS copy. There are other new features that will make a lot of people pretty excited but are total yawners for me (such as full-screen apps). I am certain that Lion will be very appealing to new users and old, just not to this ancient one.
  • Reply 49 of 139
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I still use MacUpdate and probably will for a long time to come. I'm just not a huge fan of the App Store. It just feels too garish to me. I also can't use it at the office, and considering that I spend a 1/3 of my life there that's a significant problem.

You spend a third of your working hours at either MacUpdate or the MAS? I wish I could get away with that!
  • Reply 50 of 139
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I was a bit underwhelmed. It doesn't really seem like a full point upgrade.

People have been saying that since 10.3 probably but ultimately see the light.
  • Reply 51 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

3. No Rosetta I know, we have to move forward so OS X doesn't get bloated with support for legacy apps but there are two programs that I use several days a week that are Rosetta-based, so I have needed to boot into Snow Leo just to perform some work with them. Please, no flames about this point!

Not a flame: These two legacy applications have to have x86 alternatives by this point. They must.

Quote:

5. Loss of color I really like having colorful icons in my sidebar and elsewhere so this shift by Apple toward shades of gray is not to my liking. It's hard to distinguish among several objects if there aren't the traditional color cues.

That isn't happening. Apart from Launchpad, zero applications are receiving that iSync-style makeover. And you don't even have to look at Launchpad ever.
  • Reply 52 of 139
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have a macbook that I bought in 2008, it is in bad need of a complete wipe and reload...are you telling me that I will have to install snow leopard, then the latest updates and app store, then download and install a new OS? Will the app store provide at least some sort of solution for making a bootable install flash drive or DVD so that I can wipe and reload or load up a blank hard disk with the newest OSX version?

For most people this will be great, but I have tons of crap on my mac and i just wanna start fresh...
  • Reply 53 of 139
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a flame: These two legacy applications have to have x86 alternatives by this point. They must.

I can think of one that I use daily, Quicken 2007. This is the last usable version of Quicken for the Mac. The newest version (which is fully x86 compatible), is a POS. Yes, there are alternatives, but none that matches all of the features. We may get there yet with iBank, but right now I have to stick with this old app and it needs Rosetta.
  • Reply 54 of 139
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

64-bit Macs only...

Just curious, but where did you read "64-bit Macs only"?
  • Reply 55 of 139
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    So how do I upgrade from Mac OS X Leopard?

Hint 1: There is no Mac App Store on it - it came with Snow Leopard.

Hint 2: ... well I wonder if Apple is serious about forcing people to buy new equipment once Lion is on market and we cannot buy Snow Leopard anymore (for Mac App Store intermediate access ill-born Apple idea).

I do not mind going Lion, but it has to bereasonable approach and not rude cut off from access.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

and saves me a trip to the Apple store, all good

oh yeah !

so i am assuming burn the dmg/pkg/img etc to a dvd or usb/firewire or dare i say it "iCloud" for later use.
  • Reply 57 of 139
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

at all? even as an optional download????

any developers with betas try thing?

damn \
  • Reply 58 of 139
    fahrwahrfahrwahr Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Lion won't run on Core Duo macs.

And so in order to use iCloud on my CD MacBook, I have to run Windows Vista or Windows 7. Nice. Just another nail in the coffin of my twenty-year relationship with Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Just curious, but where did you read "64-bit Macs only"?

Core2Duo chips were the first 64 bit chips in Apple computers. The previous generation CoreDuo machines (1st gen MacBook Pro's for example) are only 32 bit. Apple stating the earliest chips that will run Lion are Core2Duo by default means it is 64 bit only.
  • Reply 60 of 139
    sodimmsodimm Posts: 4member
    So I replace my hard drive, or need to reinstall Lion, how do you startup your mac, format the drive and install system?