Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You're not required to use iCloud.

As a matter of fact, you're not required to even connect your Mac to the Internet.

In fact, you will probably be forced to accept some Terms of Service, maybe a Software License Agreement to install/use Lion and iCloud. If you refuse, Apple will not allow you to use any of these new features.

No one is twisting your arm to use this stuff.

If you are a current MobileMe customer you either sign up for iCloud or lose the services you've come to rely upon. And, apparently, to sign up for iCloud requires upgrading to Lion, and upgrading Lion means giving up all of your PPC apps, whether they can be replaced or not.

I'd prefer to have my arm twisted. This is worse. Much worse.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news ? and hope I'm wrong ? but from I can tell you can't create any new @me.com accounts unless you are adding them from an empty space in a Family Pack of MobileMe. With 225 million CC on file and iCloud free with an @me.com email domain that will me a lot of people vying for the same addresses.

Exactly the conclusion I reached earlier this afternoon.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I just got auto renewed last week!! I guess my money is blown...\\

My account auto-renewed on 4/20. I went to the MobileMe support web-chat and was given a pro-rated refund (since it's been more than 45 days). My Apple ID is still intact along with other verified email addresses tied to it. The only thing I lost (as of now) is the ability to upload to iDisk. My picture galleries are there and my .mac and .me accounts are still working.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member
    My subscription to MobileMe just renewed in May. They say they will extend to the end of June 2012, but that doesn't give parity to the people that will be getting it for free when it comes out. What I would like to see is being auto-enrolled in iTunes Match so at least there's some benefit for those of us who had to renew recently.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    I read the link about MobileMe transition, which say it is "available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users." Does this mean we must be running OS X 10.7 to use iCloud for our computers? Or does this mean it's free for Lion users, but others must pay for it?

Also, I now use the MobileMe disk to backup my documents. There is no mention of using iCloud for general backups, as MobileMe now provides. "Need more input."
  • Reply 46 of 85
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I will miss the ability to publish web pages in iWeb to my .Mac account. I guess Mac is really moving away from content creation for consumers and toward content consumption. I'll finally have to quit being lazy and figure out how to publish websites to some third party option.

it's a pity, though. Being able to create websites and publish them very quickly to .Mac was awesome.

It was also great in 10.5.8 to be able to sync my calendars among my MBP, iPhone and iPad. Now I can't do that, unless I want to risk losing all my calendar information that goes back years.

It was also great to be able to drop any kind of file to my iDisk and share it easily, even very large multimedia files.

Can I use third party solutions? Yeah, but...

I feel like Apple is saying: upgrade now, do things the new iCloud way, and stop relying on Apple to do things you used to do the old way.

I guess every company has to move forward, and obviously I'm not the typical consumer they're trying to please.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you are a current MobileMe customer you either sign up for iCloud or lose the services you've come to rely upon. And, apparently, to sign up for iCloud requires upgrading to Lion, and upgrading Lion means giving up all of your PPC apps, whether they can be replaced or not.

I'd prefer to have my arm twisted. This is worse. Much worse.

Yeah, I still run Quicken 2007. I guess I'll be booting from a Snow Leopard disk occasionally.

Oh well.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yeah, I still run Quicken 2007. I guess I'll be booting from a Snow Leopard disk occasionally.

Oh well.

That's also one of my irreplaceable apps. We use it for all of our company accounting and check writing. We also use an older version of FileMaker for our invoicing, among other things. This is going to be the most expensive "free" service Apple has ever offered.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I still run PPC applications so my plan is to leave Snow Leopard on my mini permanently and not move to Lion until Apple releases an Ivy Bridge based iMac next year. The June 30, 2012 deadline to move to iCloud or lose my @mac.com email fits perfectly into that plan.

Before anyone asks: (1) I can't afford a new Mac this year and (2) I buy storage when I need it. USB 3.0 is both inexpensive and pretty much everywhere these days whereas Thunderbolt peripherals don't exist yet.

A 5GB iCloud drive for documents created by a few select applications isn't going to help me much. I already have a 19GB iDisk sitting mostly empty because uploading is unbearably slow and the file I most want backed up is my iPhoto library. It currently weighs in at 26GB.

iCloud will keep copies of recent photos which is great for sharing, but terrible for backup. Unless you're on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation right now you could probably replace a lot of photos in your current roll, but how would you replace your kids' baby pictures if your computer and backup drives were stolen or destroyed in a natural disaster?
  • Reply 50 of 85
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

My question would be what happens between June 30 and this fall ? No service ?

edit : Ah; it's until next year, so no gap

After about 1hr wait I finally had a Text Chat with Mobile Me Tech Support... That guy never caught my referring to 6/30/11 when I asked that same Q:

"My question would be what happens between June 30 and this fall?"

How silly... But, I was told that my .mac email will continue to work as it did... I guess I just won't be able to View it on Mobile Me Site online, cause it will be closed!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

What I am really worried about, is will we have to be using Lion to use iCloud? (which I assume we will) Problem is, some of us are going to have to wait to switch on one or more of our computers because of the lack of Rosetta support. I still need to use the traditional mac quicken (2006 or 2007) and plan on keeping my desktop on Snow Leopard, till a solution is offered. My Macbook Air....I can switch to Lion immediately.

Between Office 2004, Entourage, Quicken 2004, Palm Desktop -- I'll have my headaches transitioning!!! Maybe I'll buy a spare PB G4 to "Freeze My Past?"

Quote:

Hopefully there will be a way to get Quicken 2004 into Lion with the latest Version of Quicken... Does anyone have any suggestion about that?

I wonder if the Missing Sync will get to "Play a Hero" in this situation... I wasn't too thrilled with their Support Online... No Phone Support...

Maybe there will be a way to get my Palm Desktop Calendar Exported and Re-Imported into iCal so I can have my Calendar from the Past on the New Macbook Pro and Next iPhone which I'll buy when the Next iPhone comes out!!!!

Getting from Entourage 2004 POP to Mail IMAP between PB G4 and the New MBP might be a headache!!! I heard good things about Mail Steward http://www.mailsteward.com/ only it Requires: Mac OS X 10.5 or greater (Leopard and Snow Leopard) -- and I want to keep my PB G4 Frozen at 10.4.11, but, it'd be nice to Import Entourage 2004 POP to Mail IMAP in Lion... Only it would make that it into 6GB File... Maybe Mail Steward will have a Lion Version... They don't seem to have even EMAIL SUPPORT!!! Or maybe I missed it!!!! Does anyone here know about that?

And what happens to my website that I made with Dreamweaver 8, hosted by GoDaddy? Will there be iWeb, or iWeb Pro? Or is Apple telling us to make Pages on Facebook in lieu of having websites? iWeb was not even mentioned in 200 New Features on Apple's site... Maybe it was mentioned in the Keynote? Except I didn't see it yet because:

BTW, with my Safari 4.1.3 under OS 10.4.11 on my PB G4, I couldn't watch the Lion 6/6/11 Keynote... Hope my iTunes 9.2.1 will Download it, so I can watch it...

Good luck to all with this Lion Upgrade!
  • Reply 51 of 85
    Does anyone know what will happen to family member email addresses? I suspect that each email address will be offered the chance to create their own iCloud account but I can't find anywhere where that is confirmed.
  • Reply 52 of 85
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    As a Mobile Me Customer and iDisk user, here's what I got to say to Mr Jobs. I'm very disappointed in how Apple has committed an egregious foul to it's MobileMe customers in removing key features without a documented migration path that will not force YOUR loyal customers into having to manually move large amounts of data from iDisk to a 3rd party service such as Dropbox. A year of "free" service for that which I already paid for and some kind of refund for MobileMe activations that I haven't used yet is NOT acceptable - it's an insult.

Mr. Jobs, you may have laughed off the the poorly executed launch of MobileMe but you're repeating the mistake in spades with iCloud. How on earth can you launch this so called "iCloud" service and have it only allow for storage of files from your proprietary office suite plus stuff purchased on iTunes? That's not a post PC era cloud service - it's a joke and a slap in the face to those customers who have have paid for true cloud storage and have spent copious amounts of time and effort to use it. Is Apple going to send an employee over to manually move all the files from my iDisk folders to another service, or are you going to pay me to do it?

I will be looking forward to expressing my grave disappointment by telephone to the appropriate executives in Cupertino.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    The dumb-asses in the MobileMe team have sent an email saying that MobileMe won't be available after a certain data, but have not said whether the email addresses will still be valid, etc.

It may be that the email addresses continue under iCloud, but they need to say that in the same email, not leave people sifting through the iCloud websites to figure out if they'll still have an email account.

Ignorant and unprofessional - every time they do this, people in enterprise take a step back.
  • Reply 54 of 85
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

This page (which contains the same information as the e-mail we all received) says nothing at all about what happens to MobileMe customers who do not upgrade to Lion. All we know for certain is that MobileMe is going away in a year, and Apple has made no commitments whatsoever to support iCloud, in whole or in part, in Snow Leopard.

If this turns out to be the case, then it is a blunder of a magnitude that we haven't seen from Apple for a long time, possibly since the mid-90s.

I think Apple have been screwing this up ever since the release of MobileMe. During this time they have managed to delete every kind of data from some people's accounts. They are great in hardware and in the media sector, but as a person who runs business package implementations, it is clear to me that their isolation from enterprise has left them weak in data processing, which is what email/contacts/calendars/etc is all about. They lack the attitude, the approach, the skills and the computer languages to do this professionally.
  • Reply 55 of 85
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I use iDisk, how will this affect me?

Migrate to Dropbox. It's a superior product anyway.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What happens to iWeb?

iWeb can use FTP very well to post to any host server. So assuming iCloud doesn't migrate the web feature of MobileMe it is very easy to relocate a web site or even multiple web sites.

I will miss the MobileMe Gallery feature if that isn't migrated. I'm still hoping these two features are part of the 5 GIGs we are being offered in some form but as others have said the Gallery may have been dumped because of FaceBook. That however, is hardly a replacement for an Aperture user that uses the Gallery for professional portfolios or client previewing.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gareth_moore View Post

Does anyone know what will happen to family member email addresses? I suspect that each email address will be offered the chance to create their own iCloud account but I can't find anywhere where that is confirmed.

I am assuming each .me or .mac account regardless of family or single plan would continue on under iCloud.
  • Reply 58 of 85
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Migrate to Dropbox. It's a superior product anyway.

Can I drop an image file into Drop Box, and then include a URL of that hosted image file inside an [img] tag on these and other forums?

I don't think so...

• Reply 59 of 85
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    My MobileMe family pack just renewed on May 29th. If I buy Lion and use iCloud, mobile me basically becomes useless to me. Shouldn't Apple be issuing a refund for the unused months?
  • Reply 60 of 85
    funkdisfunkdis Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can I drop an image file into Drop Box, and then include a URL of that hosted image file inside an [img] tag on these and other forums?

I don't think so...

yes you can, and mind i tell you my 3yr old knows also. dropbox is amazing.