Apple says devices updated to iOS 5 beta can't be restored to earlier versions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In releasing several pieces of pre-release software -- iTunes 10.5, Apple TV 2 beta, Xcode 4.2 Preview and Lion Preview 4 -- to its developer community, Apple on Monday warned testers of its new iOS 5.0 software that any devices updated to the beta cannot be reverted or downgraded to previous versions.

"Devices updated to iOS 5 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS," the Cupertino-based company reported wrote in an advisory to developers. "Devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS 5 software."

The warning appears to indicate that developers opting to experiment and test their applications using iOS 5.0 on one of the company's iOS devices will be best advised make sure they install the software on a device solely dedicated to development purposes.

According to people familiar with the software, the note to developers accompanied the release of several pieces of pre-release software tied to iOS 5.0, including Xcode 4.2 Developer Preview (build 4C104 for Snow Leopard and 4D5031b for Lion), iTunes 5.0 beta (for activating iOS 5.0 on development devices), Apple TV Software beta (for mirroring content from an iPad 2 to an Apple TV over AirPlay), and iOS 5.0 itself (build 9A5220p).

Separately on Monday, Apple also equipped developers with Safari 5.1 Developer Preview and Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 (build 11A480b), the latter of which contains about a half dozen known issues each for Mac OS X Lion and Mac OS X Lion Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apple always publishes the warning that devices CANNOT be rolled back to previous versions of iOS, this is nothing new.

Of course, with previous betas you were able to get the devices to roll back, one way or another.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Challenge accepted, Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Apple always publishes the warning that devices CANNOT be rolled back to previous versions of iOS, this is nothing new.

Of course, with previous betas you were able to get the devices to roll back, one way or another.

While it's usually possible to roll back the firmware, I've never been able to rollback the baseband, which can lead to issues with WiFi and cellular radios. As such, I can't stress this enough, if you want to play around with an iOS 5 beta, GET A SEPARATE DEVICE!
  • Reply 4 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

While it's usually possible to roll back the firmware, I've never been able to rollback the baseband, which can lead to issues with WiFi and cellular radios. As such, I can't stress this enough, if you want to play around with an iOS 5 beta, GET A SEPARATE DEVICE!

Although the baseband can't be rolled back this has never presented any issues for me on the 3G, 3GS or iphone 4. The only thing it would stop you doing is Jailbreaking. Of course, I would not recommend running the beta on your main device and dagamer's advice stands.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Just rolling back the firmware is a little bit of a task, but I don't see too many problems for the people who want to play with it now.

But I say this as I'm currently downloading it Worse comes to worse though, I have another device to go to if all else fails. So what Dag said.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    This is not new at all. This has been there since I think iOS 3.0 Beta 1
  • Reply 7 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    iTunes 10.5 or 10.3? I thought it was 10.3.

And this only seems to be available to US customers. Going to apple.ca (for Canada) doesn't display any mention of iTunes 10.3, as apple.com does. Attempting to download gives 10.2.2.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

And this only seems to be available to US customers. Going to apple.ca (for Canada) doesn't display any mention of iTunes 10.3, as apple.com does. Attempting to download gives 10.2.2.

I'm in Indiana, and the link to 10.3 still routes to the 10.2.2 file. I'd imagine it will probably be late tonight or tomorrow before 10.3 actually gets put up.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    Is Lion Dev Preview 4 available via software update?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I'm in Indiana, and the link to 10.3 still routes to the 10.2.2 file. I'd imagine it will probably be late tonight or tomorrow before 10.3 actually gets put up.

im also in Indiana, just north of Indy, and I am also not able to get 10.3 mac or Windows.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Is Lion Dev Preview 4 available via software update?

i think they said it is going to devs in the app store so I ould just log into the app store as your paid dev account.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

10.3 for everyone. 10.5 for developers.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Whatever happened to XCode 4.1? It got up to Preview 5 corresponding to Lion DP3 and now Lion DP4 jumps straight to XCode 4.2 without XCode 4.1 ever being released.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Hey all -

So, Ive downloaded the iOS 5 beta. (Im not a developer, just super eager to get these enhancements).

I get that I may not be able to roll back or restore to 4.3. Is my backup of text messages and other cache at risk in the event iOS 5 has problems?

Can I

O
  • Reply 15 of 29
    People say it's going to be there. I'm still waiting for software update myself... but so far, no luck, probably have to get it from an account in mac App Store
  • Reply 16 of 29
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I just upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 5 and I'm digging it. There are quite a few new and cool looking welcome/setup screens. Lots of new eye candy to be had.

I would NOT have done it if I still had my iPad 1 because of the jailbreak. It doesn't look like an iPad 2 JB is coming anytime soon, so this is worth it. My iPhone 4 will definitely not get the iOS 5 treatment but OS X Dev. Preview 4 will be on my shiny new MBP later on today. Woohoo.

Shot a bunch of pics and videos of the upgrade process, if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikereade View Post

Is my backup of text messages and other cache at risk in the event iOS 5 has problems?

Yes.

That's the price of doing something you're not supposed to do. Hope that iOS 5 is more stable than it should be as a beta.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jra_46jra_46 Posts: 1member
    Hi,

Would you be able to post or email me some of the videos and pics that you took. I want to upgrade my iPad2 with the new iOS 5 for now and Ill hold off on my iphone 4 until a future release.

thanks for your help

Jon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

I just upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 5 and I'm digging it. There are quite a few new and cool looking welcome/setup screens. Lots of new eye candy to be had.

I would NOT have done it if I still had my iPad 1 because of the jailbreak. It doesn't look like an iPad 2 JB is coming anytime soon, so this is worth it. My iPhone 4 will definitely not get the iOS 5 treatment but OS X Dev. Preview 4 will be on my shiny new MBP later on today. Woohoo.

Shot a bunch of pics and videos of the upgrade process, if anyone is interested.

• Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jra_46 View Post

Hi,

Would you be able to post or email me some of the videos and pics that you took. I want to upgrade my iPad2 with the new iOS 5 for now and Ill hold off on my iphone 4 until a future release.

thanks for your help

You're not a developer. Don't do it. You won't understand why it exists.

And, no, he can't post anything. If he's a legitimate developer, he's under NDA.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    AirPlay mirroring is actually the interesting part of this one. For now it only mirrors the full display, but what if you could have separate content displayed on the TV than you have on the iPad? It would be nice to see your Keynote slide deck on your iPad, but have only the current slide showing on the TV, yes? Only a matter of time.

But the kicker for opening something like that to developers is that suddenly Apple TV + iOS could compete directly with console platforms in things like games (e.g. everyone's iOS device links to whichever one's driving the TV via Bonjour and becomes their game controller).

Boy, Apple loves shaking up markets.