Wireless carriers reportedly surprised by Apple's iMessage feature

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

With iMessage and Facetime, I do not recognize Apple on that point.

Why they bring Facetime when they got already iChat. Why they bring iMessage when they got already iChat.

Why iMessage doesn't talk to Mac too?

Why not just put iChat on the iPhone with all the same feature of iChat on the Mac. Then you got video, text, file transfer etc...

now it's like a mess, on the Mac we got iChat and Facetime. On the iPhone, Facetime and iMessage

It look like the department work all in their corner without talking to each other, it look like microsoft strategie

You should recognize this as it has Apple's DNA all over it. iChat is already on the iPhone from 3rd-parties as Meebo, Beejive, etc. All iChat and other such apps do it connect to another companies IM service. FaceTime and now iMessage are Apple's messaging system. There servers! There setup, not just their wrapper UI connecting to someone else's system.

Now that iMessage has been made available I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch on Lion before too long the way FaceTime is built into Lion.
  • Reply 82 of 144
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Apple needs to release an Android client for this. Too many people I know do not have iPhones.

It's called Google Talk, it's available on most OS's which include Android and Iphone.
  • Reply 83 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes it does tell you when the other party is typing. It's routed through RIMs servers, there's no character limit, one can send pics, videos and audio files over it. The biggest advantage Apple has is the ability for all IOS devices to use the service. I'm pretty sure the Playbook does not support BBM.

With the number of people that have iOS-based iDevices but use Windows for their PC Apple could release an iMessage/FaceTime client for Windows and put a hit on AIM, Yahoo, GTalk, and Skype. I can't help but wonder if this is an afterthought attack on MS' Skype purchase.
  • Reply 84 of 144
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the number of people that have iOS-based iDevices but use Windows for their PC Apple could release an iMessage/FaceTime client for Windows and put a hit on AIM, Yahoo, GTalk, and Skype. I can't help but wonder if this is an afterthought attack on MS' Skype purchase.

Man that would be killer.
  • Reply 85 of 144
    /edit

"Wireless carriers reportedly surprised by sudden, loud sucking sound when looking through customer accounts"
  • Reply 86 of 144
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

It's called Google Talk, it's available on most OS's which include Android and Iphone.

I hadn't really paid attention to Google Talk/Google Mail recently. Thanks for mentioning it. There's a lot of changes in there since last year.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html
  • Reply 87 of 144
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I saw a T-Mobile commercial while watching the Heat beat the Mavericks and it was the best cell phone commercial yet. Especially the end where the guy is being held upside down, "sent too many emails!"

Reminded me of the old "I'm a PC" Apple commercials. It's how I feel every month. ATT and Verizon are bad companies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YS7gTk2M7M

iMessage is just the first step for Apple. Apple got the Music industry to accept single songs sales and cheaper albums compared to CD's. Apple is now working on the Movie/TV/cable industry and now they have set their sights on the cell phone companies. First step was to make the iPhone available on all carriers. Hopefully Sprint will offer the iPhone for $79/mo unlimited. Sprint would get so much business. I wish Apple would buy Sprint.

Best
  • Reply 88 of 144
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    Quote:

You should recognize this as it has Apple's DNA all over it. iChat is already on the iPhone from 3rd-parties as Meebo, Beejive, etc. All iChat and other such apps do it connect to another companies IM service. FaceTime and now iMessage are Apple's messaging system. There servers! There setup, not just their wrapper UI connecting to someone else's system.

Now that iMessage has been made available I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch on Lion before too long the way FaceTime is built into Lion.

Why not migrate iChat on their own server??? and unify all that mess in one app called iChat?

In Lion, their is a new thing for ichat that nobody talks about, they now made possible to install plug-in. I see that on the screen behind Phil Schiller when he describe some of the 200 new feature of Lion.
  • Reply 89 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Seriously? You act like this is new. People with BBs have had this for years and the carriers are alive and well.

This is different. You'll question how (or even just ignore that it is). Okay. That's fine. But this is Apple about which we're talking. Blackberry's the old way of doing things. We'll see teens buying iPod touches because they text more than they talk. We'll see tens of millions of texting plans cancelled and texts blocked to devices.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is different. You'll question how (or even just ignore that it is). Okay. That's fine. But this is Apple about which we're talking. Blackberry's the old way of doing things. We'll see teens buying iPod touches because they text more than they talk. We'll see tens of millions of texting plans cancelled and texts blocked to devices.

No I clearly see how it's different but it's definitely not new. Even at the height of BBs popularity they didn't hurt the carriers nor will Apple. Teens are constantly on the move and iPods need a wifi connection. I doubt they'll give up their constantly connected devices for a iPod.
  • Reply 91 of 144
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    So BBM has what, like 50M active users? Pretty sure iMessage will dwarf that number by the end of the year. Once it becomes the number one messaging platform, RIM is on a burning platform.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    mplaisancemplaisance Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

Actually if I remember my GSM specs correctly, SMS isn't treated as data per say, it's sent on a bearer channel, so really it costs the carriers nothing, MMS maybe different, but a strait txt msg, pure profit. So I don't doubt they aren't happy but it's not all bad, as Apple's message app I would assume will use your data plan..

They still get their blood, just alittle less...

SMS is sent over the carriers "Overhead" on a Channel. Bascially it is not sent over the carriers "Payload", MMS uses Data connections but the carriers do not charge for Data for those on a SMS/MMS plan.
  • Reply 93 of 144
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

If you are not an iOS user you don't deserve to get texts from me.

Spoken like a true jack ass...this is a great feature but we need competition, I am glad there are people that like Android, BB, WinPh7 and so on and I hope they all survive and compete - Were it not for Android, we woulda never seen half the cool stuff that we got in ios 3 4 and now 5 because why spend the dev money when there is no one to compete with? Long live Google and RIM...Keep out innovating eachother, the race benifits everyone!
  • Reply 94 of 144
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

SMS is sent over the carriers "Overhead" on a Channel. Bascially it is not sent over the carriers "Payload", MMS uses Data connections but the carriers do not charge for Data for those on a SMS/MMS plan.

Yep. From my understanding, SMS travels on the signals the phone uses to maintain a connection to the tower. Which is interesting, because the big carriers in Canada are planning to increase SMS fees from 15 cents to 20 cents later this summer. This is a textbook definition of an uncompetitive market.
  • Reply 95 of 144
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Text messaging should be free. It's just another type of data.

The failure of the cell companies is in not thinking about the phone as a computer sooner. They had to know this day was coming.
  • Reply 96 of 144
    benny-boybenny-boy Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Final nail in RIMs coffin...

I watched the keynote, and they showed a nice pie chart with iOS representing 44% of the mobile OS market, with Android being -- I'm guessing -- something like 30%, and the rest being "other."

"Other," my friends, is RIM, predominantly.

When I saw that chart I thought, "boy, if apple had that "other" wedge, too, they would really have the upper hand, a true majority.
  • Reply 97 of 144

Apple > we haz iMessage

Carriers > we iz surprizd

Carriers > o wait. we r betraid

Customers > o rly? we were gouged. thnx aapl. bai carriers - lrn 2 valu custmrs

---

I mean seriously - does anyone else get the impression that while Apple makes money by delighting their customers that the carriers view theirs as nothing but a revenue stream to optimize?
  • Reply 98 of 144
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:

This sounds a lot like FaceTime for text. Which is to say it seems like it's using the same basic server setup and network protocols just with considerably lower bandwidth and packet QoS requirements.

PS: The only mention of FaceTime appears to be from Schiller when referring to Lion. I would bet Face will be more prominently mentioned ? hopefully with open sourcing ? in the September event.

The proprietary to Apple device texting is actually alarming to me, makes me skeptical that Apple will ever fulfill their promise to open up facetime. If they opt to keep FaceTime locked in a box then I for one will be looking to alternatives like Skype, which is sad because I don't really care for Skype. Only a few people in my family have a Mac or iOS device & a world where everyone uses Apple is just not realistic.

Overall the messaging isn't that impressive to me at all, in fact I thought it was a waste of presentation time. We've long had IM & group chat via jabber services that are completely open & free. for a few bucks I can get an app that lets me facebook chat with people too, & far more people use facebook than have an iOS device. Sorry Apple, the chat feature to me was a huge yawner, especially since it is 100% proprietary to Apple hardware. BIG FAIL!
  • Reply 99 of 144
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

Yep. From my understanding, SMS travels on the signals the phone uses to maintain a connection to the tower. Which is interesting, because the big carriers in Canada are planning to increase SMS fees from 15 cents to 20 cents later this summer. This is a textbook definition of an uncompetitive market.

Rogers already did their increase a couple months ago.

And yes, SMS ride on the control channel. Routing might add some overhead, but transmission itself is free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/business/28digi.html
  • Reply 100 of 144
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Apple needs to release an Android client for this. Too many people I know do not have iPhones.

That would be hilarious:-)