Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    ramkofframkoff Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So that copy of MobileMe I didn't activate that I got with my 1st-gen iPad on launch day...

...is now just a relic of a bygone age, then?

they are refunding those
  • Reply 122 of 155
    I'm going to be bashed, but well?whatever.

As yensid98 said:

Quote:

MobileMe services NOT supported by iCloud:

- iDisk

- MobileMe Web Gallery (for sharing pictures and movies with anyone or password protected)

- iWeb site hosting

- Web interface for Mail, Contacts, Calendar, iDisk and account info

Since Apple is giving you a free extension for these services (because you are getting free MobileMe extension), you are getting free stuff that iCloud does not have, therefor, I find that all the rage about paying for MobileMe and seeing it gone a nonsense (if you don't use any of it, which I highly doubt, see below).

I don't know if you follow AI regularly, but if you do, you would know that there was speculation about iCloud for quite some time and that it would most probably replace MobileMe.

That being said, I canceled my MobileMe from being renewed just a couple of days before it's renew date on late May. Sure I have to miss out on quite some features until fall, but I'll live.

I personally used MobileMe to sync contacts, calendar and mail. Besides that I only used iDisk. I already used Dropbox as an alternative to iDisk (when I needed to share with Windows users) so I backed up the other stuff from MobileMe to there and changed the hosting of my web site to Dropbox as well.
  • Reply 123 of 155
    I really like iDisk. It looks like it is going away when iCloud comes out. At least, there doesn't seem to be mention of it. It just appears that iCloud is a syncing service.

Something gained, something lost.
  • Reply 124 of 155
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jobs

We're going to move the digital hub, the center of your digital life, into the cloud.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

The basic goal is to change a user?s "digital life" from being device-centric to cloud-centric.

That doesn't necessarily mean "hosted in the cloud", but more "synced to the cloud". So that all the stuff you own is available on all devices you own, instead of being centred on one device.

This is the essence of "post PC"...

Come on Steve! Stop stealing my bits!
  • Reply 125 of 155
    kohamkoham Posts: 6member
    I really hope we can configure the app data that we want to backup to the cloud on a per app basis. One of the apps I have, ComicZeal has about 40GB of data. Clearly this would be way over the limit. I don't mind managing the backup of this data myself but would like a way of keeping all my other apps in sync with iCloud.
  • Reply 126 of 155
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I really like iDisk. It looks like it is going away when iCloud comes out. At least, there doesn't seem to be mention of it. It just appears that iCloud is a syncing service.

Something gained, something lost.

unlikely as Steve said there'd be options to purchase more storage and he also mentioned that iTunes Match songs that aren't recognized can be uploaded. There's been noting said that doesn't make me think we'll have user configurable storage.
  • Reply 127 of 155
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Argh. I only have Leopard, not Snow Leopard. So, I suppose I need SL at the very least if I want to play in the cloud? Sigh.

Hmmm... Now thinking I'll buy a mini server after Lion is unleashed. <ROAR!!> Though I guess I'll still have to get SL for my MacBook if I want it to play nicely with the other children.
  • Reply 128 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Argh. I only have Leopard, not Snow Leopard. So, I suppose I need SL at the very least if I want to play in the cloud? Sigh.

Hmmm... Now thinking I'll buy a mini server after Lion is unleashed. <ROAR!!> Though I guess I'll still have to get SL for my MacBook if I want it to play nicely with the other children.

That will cost you $30 for Snow Leopard and another $30 for Lion…for $60 I still think it's a cheap deal. I mean, it's less than half of the usual $130 and still much less than we would pay for Windows

That actually made me realize one thing, I'm already saving with my iMac. I paid $1000 for it and a equivalent PC would be cheaper…but I'd have to buy Windows Vista Ultimate for at least $320 and another $320 for Windows 7, that $640…so yeah, I think I'm saving already x)
  • Reply 129 of 155
    Deleted
  • Reply 130 of 155
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post

That will cost you $30 for Snow Leopard and another $30 for Lion?for $60 I still think it's a cheap deal. I mean, it's less than half of the usual $130 and still much less than we would pay for Windows

Good point. Thanks, man!
  • Reply 131 of 155
    I don't like the 30 days limit on photos. I was hoping for more to be honest. This new service still requires local storage on your devices. If it was a true cloud offering, nothing would be stored locally and it would be available in the cloud indefinitely. Also I don't know what the big deal about contacts, mail and calendar is? Google has been providing this service for years and it's awesome. Was anyone else disappointed with the time limit?
  • Reply 132 of 155
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    And what about iWeb? I started with a .mac account and except for upgrades that take away functionality I've been pretty happy. Now they're taking it all away so that I can have access to something I don't need. I mean come on,,, my iPhone can hold some 10 gb of music (and with my MacBook some 200gb) and can play through any airport/airport express. Also, I believe apps like airfoil will let you send video as well.

Most disconcerting of all though is the prospect of Apple (or anyone) scanning my hard drive remotely. The drm issues of converting albums from vinyl, 8-track, or cd/dvd are problematic under thedraconian 'you can't decode or convert copr material' laws.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

So what happens to current MobileMe subscribers access to iDisk? I use it quite frequently. Also I currently host my iWeb site on MobileMe. Is that still going to be supported in iCloud? Hopefully email Aliases aren't going away as I use those daily. So many questions!

• Reply 133 of 155
    Word: Never-EVER Autorenew ANYTHING.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

None of this helps me. On Friday last week, my MobileMe subscription AUTO RENEWED to the tune of $149. This means I will get about 30 days free at the tail end of this, but frankly I am still a bit peeved. Can't do much about it anyway, so just carrying on!

Edited to add.

Didn't think about canceling before the end, that will work actually. Thanks for pointing that out. Ok, no longer peeved.

• Reply 134 of 155
    I contacted MobileMe chat Support. Here is the transcript.

Chat Support

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 08:50 PM

Duration: 23 minutes 3 seconds

Tamara:

Hello, my name is Tamara. Welcome to MobileMe chat support. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Tamara:

Hello Stephen. I see that you're wanting to know what will happen with your iDisk, iWeb, and Gallery when iCloud is released, correct?

Stephen:

Yes

Tamara:

I can definitely understand how important it is to have more information regarding your gallery, iDisk, and iWeb sites, and I'd be glad to do everything I can to get this resolved for you today. Is this the first time that you've contacted us regarding this issue?

Stephen:

Come on, it was all just announced yesterday!

Stephen:

With virtually no details about this aspect of .mac/mobileme.

Tamara:

Thanks.

Tamara:

There has not been a lot of information released regarding the iCloud at this time. We do know that it will include a new feature called Photo Stream, however there has not been any information provided regarding iWeb with being used with the iCloud. For more information about the iCloud, please visit www.apple.com/icloud .

Stephen:

I did, there is nothing there.

Stephen:

Although photostream has a 30 day limit?

Tamara:

Yes, they will appear within Photo Stream for 30 days, however that allows you to be able to access them and save them to another location for future use.

Stephen:

What about those of us that want to share it with others for more than 30 days?

Tamara:

At this time, we have not been provided with that information. Within the coming months, there should be more information regarding iCloud and how the transition will take effect.

Stephen:

That is really unacceptable from a customer's point of view. "Hi we're changing everything you've been paying for over the last several years, but we don't have any information or details regarding the main reasons you signed up for the service. Why don't you go look at this webpage that doesn't help you and just go away?"

Tamara:

Stephen, I apologize that you feel that way. I wish there was more information available regarding iCloud, however I have provided you with all the information that we currently have available. I totally understand how frustrating this must be to be unsure if the features that you enjoy will be included or not.

Tamara:

If you would like for your voice to be heard about this issue or other changes that may improve MobileMe, please click on the link below and provide your feedback. Many of the most recent improvements to MobileMe have been a direct result of our customers' valued feedback. http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html

Stephen:

Not your fault personally-oh and the feedback link goes to the circular file. thanx anyway....Bye

Tamara:

I assure you that it doesn't. A lot of updates that were submitted through the feedback link have been implemented.

Tamara:

Stephen, although I have been unable to provide you with a resolution to your issue at this time, may I ask if you were satisfied with the level of service that I have provided to you today?

Stephen:

No, but only because your superiors are dropping the ball allowing you to provide NO service other than lip.

Thank you again for contacting Apple Support. We hope this has addressed your needs. If you need additional assistance with this topic, simply visit your case information page and choose the option to chat with us again.

Sincerely,

Apple Support

Quote:
    Originally Posted by derev View Post

And what about iWeb? I started with a .mac account and except for upgrades that take away functionality I've been pretty happy. Now they're taking it all away so that I can have access to something I don't need. I mean come on,,, my iPhone can hold some 10 gb of music (and with my MacBook some 200gb) and can play through any airport/airport express. Also, I believe apps like airfoil will let you send video as well.

Most disconcerting of all though is the prospect of Apple (or anyone) scanning my hard drive remotely. The drm issues of converting albums from vinyl, 8-track, or cd/dvd are problematic under thedraconian 'you can't decode or convert copr material' laws.

• Reply 135 of 155
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    So the feature I am most interested in is the sync between Macs. So do you think iCloud will allow me to keep both my Macs completely synced? As in, going onto my iMac will be the same as going onto my MacBook Pro at any given moment? If that's the case, then I am super excited for this service. If not, then
  • Reply 136 of 155
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The MobileMe feature I've come to rely on is Back To My Mac ? it is an absolute Godsend for me.

I wonder what will happen to BTMM?
  • Reply 137 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The MobileMe feature I've come to rely on is Back To My Mac ? it is an absolute Godsend for me.

I wonder what will happen to BTMM?

Looks like all Mac users with iCloud accounts now get this feature, it's just not named as such.
  • Reply 138 of 155
    frankdpfrankdp Posts: 1member
    What I'm curious about is whether cross computer sync will require Lion on all desktops. In my case I have a 2006 MBP that will not run Lion but my iMac will. My iPhone will be on iOS5.

So while I can do over the air sync between the phone and the desktop, I may not be able to complete the loop and transfer over the air to my laptop.

This would render iCloud useless for me.

At present I sync the two machines via the phone - merging calendars etc on the separate computers through iTunes.
  • Reply 139 of 155
    cdkcdk Posts: 1member
    I am little worried what will happen to iweb when the transition to icloud is completed next July?

anyone has some info?

I have tried to contact apple as well, but they referred me to to future announcements in Autumn.
  • Reply 140 of 155
    henry5henry5 Posts: 1member
    I don't really use the mobile me photo gallery, as I could always use Picasa, Facebook or one of the many other photo services that are out there. But I am concerned about iDisk and iWeb. I spent a lot of time and effort getting my domain switched over to the me.com hosting, and now that I finally have it working it's going to go away?

Also - what happens to all the data on iDisk? I am assuming I will have to copy it down somewhere, and then delete it manually. But DATA storage is at the heart of cloud computing.... what's the difference between contact data and personal data? Data is data.

At the very least I hope that they continue to support shared calendars - my family and I have grown to depend on that service more than any of the others.