Images claim to show Apple's Motion 5, Final Cut Pro X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A series of screenshots claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming Final Cut Pro X release offer a closer look at the software, as well as a first glimpse at Motion 5 with a new "rigging" feature.

The alleged screenshots were posted Wednesday by Twitter user "BWilks2001" and forwarded to AppleInsider. If legitimate, they offer a closer look at the design and features of Apple's upcoming 64-bit upgrade to Final Cut Studio.

The images and details posted online offer the first indication of an upcoming release of Motion 5. The current, third major revision of Final Cut Studio was released in July of 2009 with Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, Color 1.5, Compressor 3.5 and DVD Studio Pro 4.

In addition to Motion 5, the new software releases from Apple will "supposedly" include a new version of Color, BWilks2001 wrote on Twitter.

"I assure you this is no Photoshop," they wrote. "I am not that talented."

Apple offered the first glimpse of Final Cut Pro X in April during the FCP User Group SuperMeet at the National Association of Broadcasters conference in Las Vegas. There, the company revealed that the new upgrade would be available on the Mac App Store in June for $299, but made no mention of other Final Cut Studio applications.

Since then, Apple has not offered any new details on Final Cut Pro X, even though the software is set to arrive on the Mac App Store this month. Back in April, Apple promised that the new version of Final Cut Pro will be "as revolutionary as the first version of FCP."

Final Cut Pro has been rebuilt from the ground up and will include support for all processor cores through Grand Central Dispatch. The new version of Final Cut Pro will also support high-definition 4K resolution.

Other notable features previously highlighted by Apple include editing during import, scalable rendering, a resolution-independent playback system, fully color-managed Final Cut based on colorsync, people and shot detection, and audio clean-up.

An improved "magnetic timeline" will make sure that secondary audio in longer clips won't collide with other clips, while an inline precision editor will allow users to double-click the seam between two clips to open a timeline. Similar to iMovie, Final Cut Pro will present content in a film strip view.

Apple has also promised that the new Final Cut Pro has been designed to ensure that everything can be driven from the keyboard, while "localized adjustments" will allow users to select an object -- like a face -- to make adjustments only to that part of the image.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    woah...double rainbow. All the way across the sky!

No, seriously. Why the pearlescent look? I'm not getting how it provides useful data. Traditional RBG lines have given plenty of info. So I have to ask...

"What does it mean?!"
  • Reply 2 of 36
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    I am pretty impressed and excited by the look and feel of the new UI. . . Very exciting times!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    GUI is looking great and great to see the possibility of a Motion update, hopefully all releasing soon
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I would say this is legit. And if it isn't, Apple is definitely going to update the UI to a similar simple look.

FCS is so frign' powerful for the home / indie user I can't imagine it getting that much better. Certainly networking could be improved as this appears to be the biggest bellyache on the forums. But most folks out of the mainstream film/broadcast industry wouldn't really benefit. Apple has been focusing on improving the user experience with their products by simplifying the software (meaning easier to use not less powerful) and improving the ergonomics instead of just loading on every feature possible. I hope this will be another release of "it just works".

I suspect the cool piece will be integration of all wifi devices (would love a dedicated iPad controler for color correction, sound work, etc) and perhaps some iCloud integration. Perhaps with storage of keyboard prefs, window setups, etc. out in the stratosphere.

When is the new Logic Studio coming out?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Final Cut ==

Storage, Storage, Storage ==

Local (active) working Storage, Backup Storage, Archival/Collaboration/Retrieval Storage ==

Media Management, Local Network Server * , iCloud Server

The missing component here, is a hardware/software implementation of the Local Network Server... Let's just call it "iCloud-Local Server".

On top on the iCloud-Local and iCloud implementation, FCPX needs to provide a Media Management Solution that works the way "editors" work -- rather than the way computer file systems work.

BTW, These shots look Good!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post

When is the new Logic Studio coming out?

You mean this one: http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/
  • Reply 7 of 36
    conigsconigs Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

woah...double rainbow. All the way across the sky!

No, seriously. Why the pearlescent look? I'm not getting how it provides useful data. Traditional RBG lines have given plenty of info. So I have to ask...

"What does it mean?!"

Since RGB is additive, the more white the area of the image is, the more aligned the RGB values. It's a great help while color grading to know when a certain area of the image is at or near neutral.

For example, looking at that waveform, I can tell that the shadows and highlights are fairly neutral, with maybe a slight warmth to it, while there is an area of cyan running across the entire image, most likely sky.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    I was hoping the new version of Motion would incorporate Nodes like Shake. Layers are cumbersome.

Nuke it is then!
  • Reply 9 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I was hoping the new version of Motion would incorporate Nodes like Shake. Layers are cumbersome.

Nuke it is then!

There you go. I, too, base my decisions to buy $5,000 software on a few unsubstantiated screenshots of an unreleased product.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by conigs View Post

Since RGB is additive, the more white the area of the image is, the more aligned the RGB values. It's a great help while color grading to know when a certain area of the image is at or near neutral.

For example, looking at that waveform, I can tell that the shadows and highlights are fairly neutral, with maybe a slight warmth to it, while there is an area of cyan running across the entire image, most likely sky.

Thank you. Great first post. I figured out the first part, but wasn't sure how to interpret it. Your further explanation straightened that out for me. Now I'm liking it a lot.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    handygeekhandygeek Posts: 11member
    sic
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Final Cut ==

On top on the iCloud-Local and iCloud implementation, FCPX needs to provide a Media Management Solution that works the way "editors" work -- rather than the way computer file systems work.

Storage - XSAN

Media Management - Final Cut Server
  • Reply 12 of 36
    handygeekhandygeek Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Nuke it is then!

I don't think Motion was ever meant to be a Shake replacement. Even if Motion has a node view, I suspect it won't work the way you expect.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Nuke it is then!

Personally, I find nodes annoying and unintuitive. If you come from a background using graphics programs (like Photoshop), layers make perfect sense.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handygeek View Post

I don't think Motion was ever meant to be a Shake replacement. Even if Motion has a node view, I suspect it won't work the way you expect.

Exactly right. Motion was not positioned to steal market share from Shake or After Effects. It serves a gap between those high-end product offerings.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There you go. I, too, base my decisions to buy $5,000 software on a few unsubstantiated screenshots of an unreleased product.

I lol'd.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Who said anything about buying? Assumptions are fun

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

• Reply 17 of 36
    I can use photoshop just fine, but when it comes to compositing and 3D (houdini) nodes are very efficient and use up less screen real estate. Especially for complex scenes.

Nodes also make it easier to move back and forth through previous changes. Think non-destructive history.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personally, I find nodes annoying and unintuitive. If you come from a background using graphics programs (like Photoshop), layers make perfect sense.

• Reply 18 of 36
    alex4dalex4d Posts: 5member
    Given that the icon for 'Rig' is a joystick, and that this version can create generators, filters and transitions for Final Cut, perhaps a Rig is a combination of published settings can can be set up in Motion that can be selected from a pop-up menu in FCP.

In the screenshot a parameter is being added to a rig called 'Pattern.' That could be the value the parameter has at that moment. With the addition of a few other parameter values, choosing a specific rig in Final cut could set many parameters to specific values at the same time.

This is distinct from the list of published parameters.

However, this feature could also be hidden in the 'Snapshots' sub-tab of the 'Properties' tab.

Alex4D
  • Reply 19 of 36
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You mean this one: http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/

lol.. i'm not very patiently waiting for logic X too!
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why couldn't you have both?

Each node could contain Layers, and each Layer -- perhaps a Node again.

-- it would be similar to how After Effects uses sub-projects. You have a large image scrolling in the window of a car, and if you drill down on the window, it opens up whatever project you put the large image and mask in.

Nodes are just a way of organizing the project and compositing -- same with layers.

-- and didn't we LEAVE OUT 3D Z-space as well?

After Effects is great if you are going to tweak and control every little bit.

Motion is great if you are going to "experiment" with things and play them in real time.

Some of the higher end solutions out there do both and in real time.

>> I figure, with "Grand Central" more GPU acceleration, and MORE support for REAL 64 bit -- the Real time and nested node capabilities become more of a reality -- you MIGHT however, have to RAID a few SSD drives together to work this in the "real world" -- so, set aside about a Thousand for half a terabyte of SSD RAID -- just my "guess."

I want different colorspaces, and codecs on the same timeline and less -pre-rendering. Now I believe I read that they were going to have "per layer" rendering of somethings, so when you hide or show a layer, you don't need to re-render the whole timeline.

>> The "rewrite" of the codebase is probably going to include MORE optimizations for multi-threading, and for separating out cache files in the architecture to enable more of the above.

>> Add in OpenGL and the GPU -- and maybe MORE exposure to Quartz, and you have some support for real-time "3d" projections built in. I'm not saying that will be in it -- but I'm just saying the capabilities are there.