Apple shows off its networking savvy at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Good Idea!

Apple should offer a DVD version for $79.99 plus shipping and handling.

An extra $50 for pressing a DVD, packaging and shipping seems too high. I can a $20 premium and not even announcing it until after they receive enough complaints to make it warranted, then not shipping it until a month or so after Lion officially ships via Mac App Store.

On top of that, if you can't get a 4GB download then you are gonna have problems with Mac App Store apps so they could try to make a bundle with iLife and iWork on the disc, but that pushes the price up to $129-ish.

As a shareholder I'm not concerned about these people, and even less concerned about those botching about needing to first buy SL so they can DL Lion. If you are using a C2D-based Mac and aren't running SL because $29 was too much then I don't know why they all or a sudden want the $29.99 Lion. These are fringe people with specious complaints.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

On which remote mountaintop do you live where the local tax-funded public library that you're already paying for doesn't offer super-fast free wifi?

Northeast Indiana.

Oh, sorry, you were asking someone else. Carry on!
  • Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

so ~20% of population has obvious connection challenges.

Rural doesn't necessarily mean connection-challenged. There are lots of places in the wide-open spaces that have great internet connectivity. I think of my parent's place in extreme remote upstate New York, a friend's place that is actually off the grid (he uses satellite internet) on the Minnesota-Canada border, and a place I used to live in New Mexico that had more lizards than people.

I think the number of Americans for whom this is actually going to be a problem will be limited to the usual pack of whiners, complainers, and Windows users.

However, I do see problems in certain other countries, where someone may have to take a daytrip to a city to an internet cafe to make the download.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why? It makes no sense. Might as well just download it. It will take less time than a disc, anyway.

Not everybody has unlimited broadband with 50MB/sec download!

Not sure how things are in the US but here in the UK most of the ISPs have a 'Fair Use' policy or limited (e.g. 2GB/month) allowance so a 4GB download is going to be inaccessible for a huge number of people. Speed is an issue as well with the average around 2MB so a 4GB download will take a lot longer than a DVD!

A thumb drive would be a good option over DVD - light on packaging and reusable (swapping files between Macs and PCs - or to give your Windows friends who won't have Air Drop!
  • Reply 65 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Northeast Indiana.

Oh, sorry, you were asking someone else. Carry on!

Be more specific, so I can prove you wrong.

Or, here's a solution for all those who would pay a premium for a disc -- spend $1.00 on a short coffee at one of the 4,000 Starbucks locations across America and use the free wifi. Or spend 49 cents on an ice cream cone at one of the 14,000 McDonald's locations across the country and use the wifi there.

If you won't pony up 49 cents, then enjoy your Altair.

I've been all around northeast Indiana. If you can't find a McDonald's, then you're blind.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I want a disc. No lion for me.

because you don't actually own a Mac, I'm guessing....
  • Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As a shareholder I'm not concerned about these people, and even less concerned about those botching about needing to first buy SL so they can DL Lion. If you are using a C2D-based Mac and aren't running SL because $29 was too much then I don't know why they all or a sudden want the $29.99 Lion. These are fringe people with specious complaints.

Joking aside as I'm sure you are - shareholders should be concerned if Apple unintentionally disenfranchises its existing and future user base for the sake of an alternate loading medium!
  • Reply 68 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post

Not everybody has unlimited broadband with 50MB/sec download!

Not sure how things are in the US but here in the UK most of the ISPs have a 'Fair Use' policy or limited (e.g. 2GB/month) allowance so a 4GB download is going to be inaccessible for a huge number of people. Speed is an issue as well with the average around 2MB so a 4GB download will take a lot longer than a DVD!

But... but... but... Britons on the internet (see Slashdot, Fark, et.al.) have been crowing for years that their internet is faster, cheaper, and more ubiquitous than in the United States. Do you mean that your country is really as backwards as the actual statistics indicate?

Caps are your problem, not Apple's. You made the choice of getting cheap internet service.

I have a 13 megabit Clear connection, so according to this web site, I'll download it in about 40 minutes. Even a slow DSL connection (2 megs) will do it in 4 hours.

1. Start download Friday night.

2. Go to sleep.

3. Wake up Saturday morning and finish install!

Problem solved.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    Quote:

Joking aside as I'm sure you are - shareholders should be concerned if Apple unintentionally disenfranchises its existing and future user base for the sake of an alternate loading medium!

I'm with him, and also a shareholder. If Apple can ship a Lion install for 50 cents worth of bandwidth instead of $4.00 worth of packaging and material, then screw the edge cases.

it's also the "green" solution, so we can save the dying gay baby whales. Or something.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Notice anything(s) missing?

We call that progress!
  • Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:

But... but... but... Britons on the internet (see Slashdot, Fark, et.al.) have been crowing for years that their internet is faster, cheaper, and more ubiquitous than in the United States. Do you mean that your country is really as backwards as the actual statistics indicate?

Caps are your problem, not Apple's. You made the choice of getting cheap internet service.

I have a 13 megabit Clear connection, so according to this web site, I'll download it in about 40 minutes. Even a slow DSL connection (2 megs) will do it in 4 hours.

1. Start download Friday night.

2. Go to sleep.

3. Wake up Saturday morning and finish install!

Problem solved.

Faster, and cheaper than FedEX overnight service!
  • Reply 72 of 122
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

As a Network Engineer for over 15 years, these are standard views and reports from a major Wifi Vendor (not Apple). Apple did not create this. They are simply just another WiFi Vendor customer (like many thousands of other corporate customers).

Yup. Too bad Apple doesn't have a clue about how to do WiFi themselves. The Airport Extreme is a miserable excuse for a wifi solution... and the laptops are worse with broken wifi sharing.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Notice anything(s) missing?

We call that progress!

It's only progress if you take everyone along on with your vision. Uber-geeks and the well heeled aside the option of a thumb drive will keep more people on side or the lack of an alternative will encourage others to stay on the dark side that Redmond keep offering.

As much as I love Apple it won't be progress until MS joins in on Windoze 8!
  • Reply 74 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Be more specific, so I can prove you wrong.

You can't. Our library doesn't have Wi-Fi. That was the point.

Quote:

Or, here's a solution for all those who would pay a premium for a disc -- spend $1.00 on a short coffee at one of the 4,000 Starbucks locations across America and use the free wifi. Or spend 49 cents on an ice cream cone at one of the 14,000 McDonald's locations across the country and use the wifi there.

If you won't pony up 49 cents, then enjoy your Altair.

I've been all around northeast Indiana. If you can't find a McDonald's, then you're blind.

Hold on there, Jethro, I have no complaints about download-only software.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    Quote:

It's only progress if you take everyone along on with your vision. Uber-geeks and the well heeled aside the option of a thumb drive will keep more people on side or the lack of an alternative will encourage others to stay on the dark side that Redmond keep offering.

As much as I love Apple it won't be progress until MS joins in on Windoze 8!

I see nothing in the definition that includes "if you take everyone along".

There will always be those who will resist change -- that's their choice.

But, If you have a vision of the future it is important to draw a line in the sand, so those who are willing can progress -- rather than shackle everyone with the detritus of the past.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Anyone know what the networking equipment was/is for WWDC? I can guarantee it's not a bunch of APX routers. Maybe Cisco, Juniper, or perhaps Aruba?
  • Reply 77 of 122
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I want a disc. No lion for me.

Your loss, we don't care...
  • Reply 78 of 122
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Maybe. But if they really want to impress me, how about fixing Internet Sharing, which has been broken in every version of Snow Leopard?

how so? im using it now...
  • Reply 79 of 122
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy your LC 575. It can't run OS X anyway. I know, I tried. And then I hit 12 and learned the difference between the Motorola and IBM chips and why OS X couldn't run on the LC 575.

that 36 MB ram barrier was the first issue with the LC575... but at least it wasnt a 32 bit "dirty" mac.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

No, the App Store is the number one store for computer software, even though it only runs on Macs. More people buy from the Store than from Best Buy or Amazon, period. Much more impressive.

(At least, that's what Jobs said.)

I noticed that they only compared Mac App Store to physical retail stores. They did not mention anything about downloading software directly from the manufacturer.