Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    [QUOTE=iosdevaccess;1878558]After getting crapped on last night trying to add iOS 5 to a non developer iphone I bit the bullet and I signed up for a developer account if anyone would like in. $8 bucks a device, I have a few spots open, good for a year and I will email you with the links and any future releases until 5/31/12. Email me (ed: don't email this spammer) /QUOTE]

I suggest you read the terms of use you agreed to when you signed up as a "developer." I doubt it condones sub-letting accounts to random people for money.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I would like the option to play a custom sound (something really long and loud) whenever someone sends me an SMS.

That is, I want it to play on THEIR end when they send me an SMS. To remind them not to.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    This is a good addition, but they'd better be cheap If a 4-minute song is $0.69-$1.29, a 2-second tone better be pennies! Then again ringtones are not cheap...

I would rather have a better selection of stock ringtones. The selection is so weird - more like annoying sound effects. I wish they would just thrown in a few tasteful ringing sounds.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just out of curiosity, what are these "custom" tones that people already have that they want to use for things like text alerts? Are people fabricating tones from their own synth software?

Or is it that folks want to use a few bars of the latest Lady Gaga? Because if the latter, I fully support Apple limiting tones to reasonably brief and relatively low key stuff available on iTunes. The constant roar of people's shitty ringtones is scourge enough, don't make me listen to your horrible music every time you get an alert.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I'm also hoping for functionality which listens for other alert sounds in the room. When a phone yells DROID a jagged saw blade should materialize from the monitoring device and slowly but certainly extricate the offending owner's heart.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    The one thing I hate, more annoying ringtones! Pur-lease! Shut that crap off!!!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The catch is that the 'many' that you speak of is only perhaps 1/10 of 1% of users. The rest don't really have an issue with the way it is now.

You have to be kidding. You mean to tell me less than 1% of users don't want to be able to create and use their own text tones without jailbreaking? Are you fucking kidding me, sir?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

When a phone yells DROID a jagged saw blade should materialize from the monitoring device and slowly but certainly extricate the offending owner's heart.

Gave me a good lol there. That is the most annoying sound I have ever heard.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The catch is that the 'many' that you speak of is only perhaps 1/10 of 1% of users. The rest don't really have an issue with the way it is now.

Anecdotal, but of the 25 or so people that I know that own iPhones this is a massive headache. That's the number one gripe I hear about, that when a person gets a text everyone pulls out their phone. You'd think that Apple would have enabled this on a phone that's so well suited to typing quickly on.\
  • Reply 30 of 38
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You have to be kidding. You mean to tell me less than 1% of users don't want to be able to create and use their own text tones without jailbreaking? Are you fucking kidding me, sir?

RIGHT!? How rude! I know I want too!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Custom SMS tones is the ONLY thing I miss from my Jailbroken iPhone 1.

So, now we can buy sms tones.. but can we create our own? I'm almost suspecting Apple have a contract with the record labels that prevents them from doing this. It's just silly not to allow this.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I already have my tone for new mail ready to go.

It's the "mail muthfucka" tone used in eurotrip.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

• Reply 34 of 38
    PC World claims users can create their own, but there aren't many details. Seems to me if we can have "custom purchased tones" we can figure out how to make our own, just like people do with ringtones.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...ication_tones/
  • Reply 35 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I had that as my Mac Mail sound for about 2 years before that movie came out. Sometimes I can't believe that it's never gotten old in nearly a decade of use.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    For the longest time, with my my pre-iPhone Nokias, I used to have the starcraft alert of that little chime just before the words ?nuclear launch detected?. Its a guaranteed attention getter. Hilarious when other gamers hear it they look startled because that quarter second shrill is impending destruction and a manic hunt for the damn red dot and ghost...

for a while on my jailbroken iPhone 2g I did some FTP action and managed to use it. Alas a month later I had the 3GS :P

I look forward to getting my own SMS alert on again...
  • Reply 37 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't want to buy more text tones, I want to be able to use my own.

Just as with ringtones, i'm sure Apple will let you use your own.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Just as with ringtones, i'm sure Apple will let you use your own.

As much as I'm hopeful they will, I haven't seen anything yet that hints that will be an option. I still have the same six text alert notification sounds from two years ago. How on earth this doesn't get priority in Cupertino until now is beyond me.