Inside Apple's iOS 5: LED flash on calls, custom accessibility gestures & vibrations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    I hope this extends to different vibrations for text and email.

If my phone is in my pocket on vibrate, it would be nice to be able to tell the difference.

The phone ringing on vibrate is pretty obvious.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I hope this extends to different vibrations for text and email.

Unless I'm imagining things and using unknown powers of clairvoyance they aleadyRw different. The SMS vibrate is slightly longer than for the email.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm not sure that I "get" the LED flash alert. 90% of the time, the phone is either in your pocket or laying flat on its back -- who would lay an iPhone face down on a table?

Or maybe I'm just not understanding this fully...

In the bad old days, phones used to have LEDs to alert you to a call when you had the ringer turned off. Usually, it was ob the side of the phone, so in a meeting, you could turn off the ringer and put the phone on the table in front of you.

Apple is trying to compete its feature set, but does not have any LEDs to light up. They are doing the best they can with minimalist hardware.

It used to be that you could buy replacement antennas with built-in LEDs for phones that had none. But with the integrated antenna, that is no longer an option.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I just want to know if there will be an option to have the phone use it's text to speech to tell ms who is calling when I have my headphones in. Same voice that confirms who I ask to call when I do voice activated calling.

There is a jailbreak for that.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    philmelphilmel Posts: 1member
    no mentioning about creating folders in foto app - that's the most annoying non present feature so far ...
  • Reply 26 of 41
    conigsconigs Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philmel View Post

no mentioning about creating folders in foto app - that's the most annoying non present feature so far ...

Actually, it's been discovered that iOS5 does have the capability to create photo albums, as well as add photos to existing albums.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPad and iPhone have been praised by members of the blind community recommending the devices.

really? the BLIND community? try using either device with your eyes closed. i'm guessing you meant the deaf community
  • Reply 28 of 41
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

These options are pretty cool.

I think he has a point. If you're hearing impaired why wouldn't you just place the iPhone face up to get the info?

PS: iOS 5.0 is amazingly stable for a first beta. Apple has had GMs that weren't this stable. I wonder if the devs were are all focusing on a April timeframe for the first dev beta so the extra time afforded is just gravy with a few extra features thrown in.

Yes!

The iOS 5.0 beta is great. I've upgraded an iP4, iPad 1 and 2 iPad 2s.

The only problem I had was trying to install the upgrade to the iPad 2s with iTunes 3002 error.

Had to use XCode Organizer to install iOS 5.0, then iTunes to restore the content.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The custom vibration is a really nice feature. You can tell if it's an emergency call without taking the phone out of your pocket. I'm not sure why Apple hides this feature in Accessibility... it should just be a first-class feature. Being able to tap out the custom vibration on the screen is just brilliant.

Mmmm....

With a little knowledge of Morse Code and an over-active libido -- you can receive evocative massage alerts like:

What are you wearing dit-dit-dah-dah-dit-dit.

Edit: Reminds me of that Android Commercial where the woman on an airplane remotely starts the engine of the man's car -- only massage alerts would start a different engine
  • Reply 30 of 41
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

really? the BLIND community?

Yes. Really. The iPhone is very popular among the blind.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Yes. Really. The iPhone is very popular among the blind.

Yes it is. I have a friend who is blind and he confirmed that it is really good for them.

On the LED face down. I just tried it in a really bright room and it is visible even though it is flat on the table. The light is bright enough to shine through the edge of the glass.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Does the LED refer to the one on the back for the camera "flash"?

That's less than optimal - perhaps they will add a notification LED to the top (like near the power button - or inside the power button!) on a future iPhone where it would be more noticeable. I guess that's the second thing (behind switchable profiles for alert/vibration/volume settings) left that I would miss from my blackberry.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hotboyzz View Post

Aren?t there already Jailbreaks for these ?new features?

Not everyone wants to jailbrake. I don't. Indeed with wifi sync being added, I now have absolutely no desire to jailbrake at all.

If you want to - have at it! I'm equally happy that I don't have to in order to get the same functionality.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless I'm imagining things and using unknown powers of clairvoyance they aleadyRw different. The SMS vibrate is slightly longer than for the email.

For me, and this is very unscientific, SMS messages are more VVVTT VVVVVVVTTT and email is more VVVVVTT.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Does the LED refer to the one on the back for the camera "flash"?

That's less than optimal - perhaps they will add a notification LED to the top (like near the power button - or inside the power button!) on a future iPhone where it would be more noticeable. I guess that's the second thing (behind switchable profiles for alert/vibration/volume settings) left that I would miss from my blackberry.

Perhaps a forward facing LED flash?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

really? the BLIND community? try using either device with your eyes closed. i'm guessing you meant the deaf community

Try using some of the accessibility features. You can have everything spoken to you, can have a braille device attached, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    I guess this solves the problem of quickly turning on/off Bluetooth/Wifi. Now you can just make a hand gesture to quickly turn it on or off.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Yes ? Expand your mind. Go here and watch the video: http://www.apple.com/accessibility/i...overlaycontent
  • Reply 39 of 41
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by

Custom vibration alerts can also be activated in iOS 5. Personalized vibrations can be recorded for individual contacts by recording a series of taps on the screen. A viewer displays visual ripples indicating the force and frequency of the taps during recording and playback.

For more, see AppleInsider's extensive coverage of iOS 5, including the in-depth features below:

Inside Apple's iOS 5: Calendar improvements help make iPhone, iPad PC-free

Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options

Inside iOS 5: Notification Center, banner alerts

Inside Apple's move to open up SMS-style messaging to not-mobile clients

Inside Apple's iOS 5: Reminders app offers location-aware to-do lists

Inside Apple's iOS 5: Safari Reader, private browsing, tabs on iPad

Inside Apple's iOS 5: PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

===

Will it be possible to FINALLY record both sides of a conversation with IOS 5? Apple has made this impossible so far but the UK will make this compulsory for bankers, etc. by the end of this year:

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/48768.php
  • Reply 40 of 41
    ledkledk Posts: 2member

I have a living solution, ipod dock and when its on it has a blue LED light. I like the light it gives off, and i want to know how long before the LED light dies. I keep the dock on every night for like 9 hours. Can someone please help me??

I also have a orange LED light in my laptop to light up the keyboard. How long will that one last?

--------------------------------------------------------------

[url=http://www.ledlightonsale.com/]LED Downlights[/url] [url=http://www.ledlightonsale.com/catalog/led-bulbs]led lamps bulbs[/url]  [url=http://www.ledlightonsale.com/catalog/dimmable-led-lights]led flood lights dimmable[/url]