Cloud and Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking forward to the cloud - but I want to hope that it will include mail as well as music.

I read my emails from 3 Mac computers and my iPad. The problem is that all 4 machines get updated from my earthlink server. I can read my mail on my MacBook Pro - and delete what I don't want to keep with my MBP - but when I come home and turn on my iMac or my Mac Pro - they go ahead and download everything on the earthlink server. Deleting from any one computer is not updated to the other machines. Deleting directly form the earthlink server via Web Mail is a real pain - line by line, page after page.

Will my email be stored in the cloud - and updated and downloaded from there?

I hope so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It already works the way you want with MobileMe.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bigphotosbigphotos Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It already works the way you want with MobileMe.

Tell me more!

I need to allow any computer to delete messages from the server - but only if I delete them.

My only choice in mail is to delete them from Earthlink when they are read. Thus, when I get back to another computer, they don't show up.

How do I do that with Mobile Me? My calendars do it ....

I want the emails to come from/with my Earthlink address - not from me.com

The Earthlink is a POP account, if that helps.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It's a function of imap mail... Pop won't do it.

Call earthlink and ask if they have an option of using imap rather than pop.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It's a function of imap mail... Pop won't do it.

Call earthlink and ask if they have an option of using imap rather than pop.

BigPhotos,

If you still can't get IMAP from Earthlink, then you could start using a new @me.com address when iCloud launches and forward any email sent to Earthlink to your new @me.com address.

I know you have to kind of inform everyone about your new email address, but this is one way to start making the most of IMAP systems like iCloud/MobileMe. Remember anything sent to your old Earthlink address is still forwarded to your new iCloud email, so it may not be too bad. People can still be sending mail to your Earthlink email but you can reply to them and they will see it coming from yourname@me.com