Briefly: iTunes in the Cloud held up in UK; iPhone in space; Android messaging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think these days everyone is living in a glass house.

I think as always people are doing BS on the web for more ad clicks and web site hits.

We all know that Apple is thinking into the future a lot. Just remember Tiger and all transitions. Obviously Apple was looking into wireless sync at that time already.

Apple doesn't do copy at least not something that obvious.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I don't think iTunes WiFi syncing is a copy of the app, unless code was stolen. But very naughty of Apple to have ripped off the icon, if true.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Wonder why Apple does not bother entering negotiations sooner with the EU/British side on things.

We are still waiting to get half of the functionality that Apple TV customers in the US have, yet Apple does not seem to care as long as the US is covered. Very frustrating.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPhone in SPACE!!! You know those iPhones probably have more processing power than all of the Shuttle's ancient flight computers, from when was it...1979? Something like that?

You are probably confusing ISS & now non-existing MIR.

ISS started in 1998, MIR was orbiting the Earth 1986 - 2001 when it was sent down back to Earth to burn in the atmosphere.

But you may be interested in this:

http://suzymchale.com/ruspace/isscomp.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...n-laptops.html

http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/s...omputer-crisis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6763173.stm
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I have a hard enough time with the iPhone autorotating the screen sometimes on earth. Good luck in zero-G.

And AT&T reception should be about the same as on earth.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

iPhone in SPACE!!! You know those iPhones probably have more processing power than all of the Shuttle's ancient flight computers, from when was it...1979? Something like that?

I believe I read that the computers on the Space Shuttle are like 1975 design and about PC/XT in power. But the programing is all in machine language so it very lightweight. They do use some modern additions I would think for navigation and they do have modern laptops on board. But yeah, the computers and programming had to be done before the space shuttle ever took off so it's older than the first shuttle flight for sure.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also, a new report claims Google is working on a rival messaging service to the recently announced iMessage feature in iOS 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_talk

Come on AI this is pathetic, at least TRY next time....
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, the iPhone is going to sent into space for to for a series of diagnostic experiments.

I normally hate the grammar police, but this is a horribly constructed sentence. What the heck does, "for to for a series...," mean??!! I read that sentence several times trying to male sense of it, but gave up and moved on. You have to do more than run spell check, these sites need editors. Guess I hate myself now, thanks a lot bin Laden (The Hangover 1).
  • Reply 29 of 44
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Exactly, nor Apple copied anything from RIM nor Google from Apple in this case. Both of them had messaging applications

The thing that iMessage brings to the table, that nothing else currently does, is the seamless integration.

All existing IM clients and BBM operate using a separate application. iMessage does SMS/MMS/iMessage from within the same app, regardless of the recipient AND across iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch (3rd gen and up). That's the innovation!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    It would be very interesting if Google fuses gtalk and the Android Messaging app, because gtalk also works on the web in a browser. So you can respond using a real keyboard when you're at your desk.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Hmm .. I hope they have instructional video on the shuttle to remind them to turn their iphones off during takeoff
  • Reply 32 of 44
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

The thing that iMessage brings to the table, that nothing else currently does, is the seamless integration.

WP7 demoed the unified message hub 2 weeks ago.

Facebook chat, SMS and Messenger, all in the one hub.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Uh-huh, and he "copied" the idea from Microsoft, who offered the same feature on Zunes years ago.

Except, no he didn't, the idea's blindingly obvious and the icon's not exactly a work of creative genius. Here's what Apple did:

They had an icon for Wi-Fi connections, and an icon for syncing. They wanted an icon for Wi-Fi syncing. They made the brilliant logical leap of...Combining the Wi-Fi icon with the syncing icon.

Believe it or not, coincidences happen. And no amount of sensationalist tabloid journalism by the Reg is going to change that.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Why does Google need their own messaging service? We'll never get rid of texting fees if every phone maker has their own separate messaging option.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Why does Google need their own messaging service? We'll never get rid of texting fees if every phone maker has their own separate messaging option.

Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that eventually these message systems will end up interoperable. European telecom regulators may even end up requiring it.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Uh-huh, and he "copied" the idea from Microsoft, who offered the same feature on Zunes years ago.

Point still stands. There is a fair bit of copying going on from all sides these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that eventually these message systems will end up interoperability. European telecom regulators may even end up requiring it.

Now that would be an awesome resolution to the problem!

Could you imagine it! Microsoft, Apple, Google and Facebook all getting together to knock out an interoperability standard for messaging, chat, voice and video calls!

The poor carrier CEO's would have a collective heart attack!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

WP7 demoed the unified message hub 2 weeks ago.

Facebook chat, SMS and Messenger, all in the one hub.

and before that WebOS had SMS, AIM/ICQ, and Gtalk all in one hub: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2789/8

But google already has google voice, which basically allows you to send and recieve SMS over wifi / 3g among other things; so I don't think google needs to create a new service, they just need better google voice integration with their phones (which was something the carriers were fighting tooth and nail against)
  • Reply 38 of 44
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It really sounds like iTunes Match will covert files to DRM-free 256kbps AAC based on the metadata. This seems like it can get easily abused and so after one year of usage I wonder if the usage rate will drop significantly.

2) The iPhone isn't the first smartphone in space?

3) iMessage feels pretty solid. I wonder if Apple was sitting on this app until the iCloud -and- addition of a 2nd US carrier were added. It seems like it's based used by the FaceTime servers so I hope we see it added to Lion with the next beta.

I thought it said first iPhone in space - not necessarily first smart phone in space.

Consider though that phones do not have cooling fans - and even laptops etc that do have cooling fans need to be built in such a way as to handle the rigors of launch, additional radiation exposure, and micro gravity, etc - factors which can affect the performance of a device which is designed to be operated in the earth's gravity with atmospheric pressure etc - things like convective cooling due to heat rising do not work the same in earth orbit - hot air doesn't go "up" in space.

Also consider that every ounce of weight in cargo and passengers etc requires a proportional amount of thrust which requires a certain amount of fuel - which adds weight which requires thrust to lift etc. Add to that the probability of being in range of a cell tower while in orbit and unless there is a compelling reason to take the device up with you it doesn't go.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I thought it said first iPhone in space - not necessarily first smart phone in space.

That's what I was getting at. What smartphone(s) have already been in space? and why?
  • Reply 40 of 44
    rhymanrhyman Posts: 4member
    Quote:

There are many computers onboard the Shuttle. If you are wondering about the ones that monitor and control systems such as engines, they are low power machines called the GPC, but not 1975. Many of the onboard systems were updated in the early 1990s, so they are much more stylish than 1975 hardware!

Those critical systems are not changed frequently, because they have sufficient computing power for the sensors they monitor and commands they send, and they don't have any imbedded GUI. New systems are extremely expensive to get man-rated; reliability, testing under G loads, the type of radiation in orbit, etc. There are many more systems on board, including powerful laptops used for experiments.

The Russian Soyuz spacecraft has been running the same Argon 16 flight control system since the mid 1970s. It has just a few KB of RAM. They rewrote some flight software in 2000 or so, and some people think this lead reentry problems in the first flight of the Soyuz-TMA.

But, I don't think the iPhones sensors will ever be used for critical measurements. I played with the accelerometers using the App Azarhi Sensors, and the raw acceleration data showed a lot of bleed from one axis to the others. And, the accelerometers can't even give 2 full decimal points of accuracy measured in Gs. Don't know if the iPhone 4 is much better or how good the gyros are.