Cupertino mayor certain Apple's 'spaceship' campus will be approved

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following a public presentation by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs of his company's new proposed corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., the city's mayor has said there is "no chance" the city council will not approve the structure.

Following Jobs's presentation earlier this week, Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong held a press conference in which he expressed enthusiastic support for Apple's proposed 12,000-employee facility. He offered a history of both Apple's and Jobs's roots in Cupertino, and made clear that the city intends to remain partners with the company.

"There is no chance that we're saying no," Wong said. He noted that growing up, he used an Apple II computer and has stuck with the company's products since. He even mentioned this week's announcement of iCloud as the latest product from the company.

"This mothership really has landed here here in Cupertino," he said.

Wong said that building plans for the new facility will be submitted later this year. The review process for the greatly expanded facility will be the same as for any project in the city, reviewing a number of aspects including the environmental impact and effect on traffic patterns.

The city and Apple expect the project to be completed by 2015. The new, large, circular building would augment the current Infinite Loop facilities. Wong encouraged people to track the progress of the project at a special site set up at cupertino.org/apple.

Jobs first announced his company's plans to build a new campus in Cupertino to the city council in April of 2006. This week, the CEO presented more detailed plans, which were met with great enthusiasm by the council.

"It's like a spaceship landed," Jobs told the council of the proposed facility's circular design. "It's got this gorgeous courtyard in the middle, but it's got a lot more."

Among the building's features would be curved glass all along the exterior. Jobs said that Apple has utilized its expertise in making iconic retail facilities around the world in designing the new office.

The new campus would consist of 80 percent landscaping, compared to the current land's ratio of 20 percent. Jobs said Apple would nearly double the number of trees on the property from 3,700 to 6,000.

Apple's plans also include underground parking to maximize green space, and an above-ground parking garage just four stories high to preserve the "human scale" of the campus. The iPhone maker would also supply its own power, using the city grid as a backup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Jobs did two presentations on Monday. For someone who people claim isn't running Apple he sure is busy running Apple.

2) The presentation video makes me want to get a job at Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Steve sounds tired. Unfortunately, I am very certain he won't be around to see it open.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    I swear this guy is Lloyd from Entourage.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

I swear this guy is Lloyd from Entourage.

The guy is definitely Asian and he's also definitely pretty gay, so you're right about that.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Steve sounds tired. Unfortunately, I am very certain he won't be around to see it open.

You don't know that, and I don't see how anybody can be "very certain" about it.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You don't know that, and I don't see how anybody can be "very certain" about it.

Maybe the voices are telling him to kill Steve?
  • Reply 7 of 81
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Apparently you know something we don't? I agree he sounded tired, though.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    The mayor seems like a huge apple fan. I don't blame him though. I watched the presentation of the building the other day and steve posed the possibility that they'd have to move out of cupertino if the city can't accommodate their needs. As a mayor, he wouldn't want to lose the city's biggest tax payer. So in that sense, there's definitely some a** kissing going on.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The guy is definitely Asian and he's also definitely pretty gay, so you're right about that.

Uh, no. He's married to a woman and has two kids. He also doesn't trigger my 'dar.

He's just very awkward, is all.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:

You know what's tired? Comments like this.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    peter02lpeter02l Posts: 85member
    Quote:

Are you planning something?
  • Reply 12 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Uh, no. He's married to a woman and has two kids. He also doesn't trigger my 'dar.

Really? Well, ok, I guess I stand corrected on that issue then. When I saw the first video with Steve Jobs making the presentation, as soon as the Asian guy opened his mouth and began to speak, I could have sworn that he was gay, because he definitely spoke as if he was gay.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

You know what's tired? Comments like this.

• Reply 14 of 81
    Great idea. Build a glass building over a fault line. At least this way Apple's building will be as fragile as the phones they make. Consistency is important.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    The video was very interesting to watch. Not just for the building and grounds but to see just how daft the elected officials are..."we want your money, Mr. Jobs" and the twit who tried to weasel free wifi. Recommend watching it. http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?...id=463&page=26

I have always thought that politicians "get off" on spending someone else's money!

Best
  • Reply 16 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

...and the twit who tried to weasel free wifi. Recommend watching it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95HSkeLsmc

Love Jobs reply to that. Nice dig at Google.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Elton John was married and has a kid, and he's as gay as a maypole!
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Recommend watching it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95HSkeLsmc

Here's a much better version of it, 480p.

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?...id=463&page=26
  • Reply 19 of 81
    phlipphlip Posts: 7member
    Looks very much like the UK's Government Communications Headquarters to me.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Silly rabbit, you really believed he can give up control?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Jobs did two presentations on Monday. For someone who people claim isn't running Apple he sure is busy running Apple.