Cupertino mayor certain Apple's 'spaceship' campus will be approved

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I can take my iPhone and shake it like crazy, the glass isn't going to break. What is relevant is the building's frame. All newer buildings in fault line cities are designed with earth quakes in mind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Great idea. Build a glass building over a fault line. At least this way Apple's building will be as fragile as the phones they make. Consistency is important.

• Reply 22 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Elton John was married and has a kid, and he's as gay as a maypole!

Not sure where you get that analogy from? I favor the pagan festival origins myself. It was probably phallic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole
  • Reply 23 of 81
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    The woman was obviously trying to be funny about the wi-fi.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The video was very interesting to watch. Not just for the building and grounds but to see just how daft the elected officials are..."we want your money, Mr. Jobs" and the twit who tried to weasel free wifi. Recommend watching it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95HSkeLsmc

I have always thought that politicians "get off" on spending someone else's money!

Best

• Reply 24 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Uh, no. He's married to a woman and has two kids. He also doesn't trigger my 'dar.

He's just very awkward, is all.

Steve has 3 children with his wife and 4 overall [Lisa's mother and he never married].
  • Reply 25 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Elton John was married and has a kid, and he's as gay as a maypole!

It's great speculating about people you've never met. Sorry, but Steve and his wife make a great couple.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's great speculating about people you've never met. Sorry, but Steve and his wife make a great couple.

Um, nobody was talking about Steve Jobs. They were referring to the Asian guy on the council.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:

Great idea. Build a glass building over a fault line. At least this way Apple's building will be as fragile as the phones they make. Consistency is important.

Steve forgot to mention that it would actually hover several feet above the ground so would be completely unaffected by earthquakes. The staff wouldn't use a door to get in. They would use the new iTeleport device to enter the spaceship.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not sure where you get that analogy from? I favor the pagan festival origins myself. It was probably phallic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole

That analogy comes from a British publication called Private Eye.

Thanks for the link to the origins. I think the fact that people dance around the maypole waving colored handkerchiefs around and wearing bells on their socks is, shall we say, not really the most manly pursuit!
  • Reply 29 of 81
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    All I can say is, I hope the reactors are properly cooled.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I wasn't speculating about Steve Jobs at all, but at the same time, I rather like the way you complain about me speculating about someone I don't know, then you go and do exactly the same.

Unless of course your knowledge of how good a couple Steve Jobs and his wife are is based on the frequent dinner parties you no doubt attend at his house.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here's a much better version of it, 480p.

http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?...id=463&page=26

Thanks! I replaced my link with yours above...
  • Reply 32 of 81
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:

The guy is definitely Asian and he's also definitely pretty gay, so you're right about that.

He seems pretty flaming alright. The lady trying to weasel out the free WiFi was irritating as well, but Steve handled it well

The new HQ design looks awesome.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Really? Well, ok, I guess I stand corrected on that issue then. When I saw the first video with Steve Jobs making the presentation, as soon as the Asian guy opened his mouth and began to speak, I could have sworn that he was gay, because he definitely spoke as if he was gay.

Being effeminate does not mean someone is gay ... that's like saying you're a backwoods redneck moron just because you think like that.

Gay is a sexual orientation, i don't think i saw him up there giving another guy a blow job?

Effeminate refers to characteristics and mannerisms normally associated with a female, it has nothing to do with what makes a guy get "it" up. For that matter, most cross-dressers are straight men as well.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The woman was obviously trying to be funny about the wi-fi.

Perhaps...still lame though.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Joking, right? I'm going to assume so, otherwise you're a fairly ignorant individual.

That area of the bay sits on very solid ground. The building is only four stories tall. Modern construction grade glass is a very, very strong material. Buildings can be built to accommodate shaking and rocking by not completely attaching every section (the skeleton is built in separate sections, none of which are structurally attached to each other). ... etc., etc.

And I'm pretty sure the architects who were hired are very well aware that the surrounding area is prone to shake once in a while.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Being effeminate does not mean someone is gay ... that's like saying you're a backwoods redneck moron just because you think like that.

Gay is a sexual orientation, i don't think i saw him up there giving another guy a blow job?

Effeminate refers to characteristics and mannerisms normally associated with a female, it has nothing to do with what makes a guy get "it" up. For that matter, most cross-dressers are straight men as well.

You sound very experienced.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Jobs did two presentations on Monday. For someone who people claim isn't running Apple he sure is busy running Apple.

2) The presentation video makes me want to get a job at Apple.

on both counts, seconded.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

but to be frank almost all very effeminate men take it up the arse.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is news?

I'd be surprised if they said no.

First off, it's their biggest ratepayer. Next, it's a great plan that actually increases density and rejuvenates the area.

It'd be nice if they had actually acted like city councillors and grilled him more instead of acting like fawning schoolgirls. But in the end, they are definitely right to approve this.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    What I want to know is, where did the Mayor get his perm?