Cupertino mayor certain Apple's 'spaceship' campus will be approved

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Being effeminate does not mean someone is gay ...

I think that most of the time it does mean that somebody is gay. Maybe this Asian guy on the council is a small exception to the rule.

Even though I am not German, if I decided to all of a sudden speak English with a German accent, then I shouldn't be surprised if strangers asked me if I was German when they spoke to me. If somebody speaks in a gayish tone, then it's not a stretch to conclude that there are going to be people who think that person is gay.

There is definitely a gay tone that exists and I think that I would even be able to scientifically prove it using my audio skills and my pro audio software on my Macs. The fact is that quite a few gay people, the kind that is very feminine and likes to greatly exaggerate everything (basically the flaming gay type) shares a very similar way of speaking. These people go out of their way to let everybody know that they're a flaming gay.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Great idea. Build a glass building over a fault line. At least this way Apple's building will be as fragile as the phones they make. Consistency is important.

THANK GOD you brought this to our attention! Obviously, the architects and engineers who designed this building had NO IDEA what they were doing. You, sir, are a genius, and you very well likely saved thousands of lives. I will promptly forward your trolling comment from an internet forum directly to the design team and instruct them to reconsider the building. Clearly a huge oversight on their part. Thank you again!
  • Reply 43 of 81
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Uh, no. He's married to a woman and has two kids. He also doesn't trigger my 'dar.

He's just very awkward, is all.

Married with kids doesn't mean straight. Ask John Travolta and Tom Cruise.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The video was very interesting to watch. Not just for the building and grounds but to see just how daft the elected officials are...

Yeah, I was simultaneously excited about the project and rolling my eyes at the council's star-struck reaction. Looks like a great plan -- the 80% landscaping is pretty impressive for a site that will hold so many workers -- but there are legitimate questions for a government to ask of any project of that scope. I don't see that happening so long as those council members are giddy because they're in the same room as Steve-O. (Being giddy is fine, I suppose, so long as one says, "I'm a huge fan and a little too impressed by your presence to think clearly. I'll get back to you.")

I wonder if the replanted green space will be occasionally available to Cupertino citizens or just Apple's private park?
  • Reply 45 of 81
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Really? Well, ok, I guess I stand corrected on that issue then. When I saw the first video with Steve Jobs making the presentation, as soon as the Asian guy opened his mouth and began to speak, I could have sworn that he was gay, because he definitely spoke as if he was gay.

I've known a few people from the SF area who people thought were gay because they, "spoke as if they were gay." Perhaps it's simply the case that people confuse the speech patterns common to certain SF area natives with "gay speech" for some reason. In my experience, it's not possible to identify someone as gay or not gay based on their speech patterns and/or accent.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The mayor seems like a huge apple fan. I don't blame him though. I watched the presentation of the building the other day and steve posed the possibility that they'd have to move out of cupertino if the city can't accommodate their needs. As a mayor, he wouldn't want to lose the city's biggest tax payer. So in that sense, there's definitely some a** kissing going on.

The city doesn't get taxes from Apple directly. Apple employees spend money in businesses around town for which a certain part of the sales tax goes to the city. If Apple buys something locally like catering, etc. the sales tax benefits the city, but the property taxes go to Santa Clara County which is the same county that Mountain View is located in. Sure the property taxes would be somewhat higher due to the real estate appraisal after the construction but that is then doled out to the cities on an as needed basis not necessarily proportionate to taxes generated by the city. Same with the corporate taxes they go to the state and the feds.

Not saying that Cupertino does not pride itself in being the home of Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Whether or not the Mayor is gay determines what... that the spaceship won't be built... will be built... shouldn't be built... should be built... should have a disco bar installed... ???!!!
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

should have a disco bar installed... ???!!!

Hey now.......I like disco music sometimes, and I'm not gay. I even like a few Lady Gaga tunes.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Hey now.......I like disco music sometimes, and I'm not gay. I even like a few Lady Gaga tunes.

Lady GaGa??!! OK... now I'm not convinced...
  • Reply 50 of 81
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The city doesn't get taxes from Apple directly.

There are no property taxes in Cupertino?

According this:

Quote:

Of the sales tax that Apple and Google generate, approximately one-ninth goes to their host cities. And of the property tax paid by the two, approximately 5 percent helps fund their cities' budgets. In Mountain View, Google pays around 3.7 percent of the total property tax collected in the city, more than what's paid by the next three highest businesses combined. Plus, Google pays more for leasing city land. Apple's property tax contributes 4.8 percent of the total collected in Cupertino, up from only 1.2 percent some 10 years ago.

• Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Lady GaGa??!! OK... now I'm not convinced...

That's ok. If somebody were to think that I was gay because I liked a couple of Lady Gaga tunes, then I don't mind. If I were really gay though, I can promise you that I wouldn't speak gay at least. That's the main problem that I have with certain gay people, they're really annoying.

Lady Gaga is from my hometown, so I'm happy for her.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

The video was very interesting to watch. Not just for the building and grounds but to see just how daft the elected officials are..."we want your money, Mr. Jobs" and the twit who tried to weasel free wifi. Recommend watching it. http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?...id=463&page=26

I have always thought that politicians "get off" on spending someone else's money!

Best

They wouldn't be there if they weren't elected, would they?
  • Reply 53 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

The guy is definitely Asian and he's also definitely pretty gay, so you're right about that.

Is it because "He noted that growing up, he used an Apple II computer and has stuck with the company's products since"?
  • Reply 54 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is it because "He noted that growing up, he used an Apple II computer and has stuck with the company's products since"?

Well, if that's somebody's criteria for deciding who's gay or not, then yeah, I guess I am extremely gay. Few people are gayer than me, in that case. I just ooze gayness wherever I go.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    btw, cali has an earthquake issue? I wasn't aware of that...
  • Reply 56 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The woman was obviously trying to be funny about the wi-fi.

I agree, she seemed to be joking with Steve... but one can never tell with a politician.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Married with kids doesn't mean straight. Ask John Travolta and Tom Cruise.

John Travolta and Tom Cruise are married to each other? When did this happen?
  • Reply 58 of 81
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Really? Well, ok, I guess I stand corrected on that issue then. When I saw the first video with Steve Jobs making the presentation, as soon as the Asian guy opened his mouth and began to speak, I could have sworn that he was gay, because he definitely spoke as if he was gay.

May be he's a bi. Being married does rule out homosexuality.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Plus One.

(I tried to write +1, but was told my message was too short.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

THANK GOD you brought this to our attention! Obviously, the architects and engineers who designed this building had NO IDEA what they were doing. You, sir, are a genius, and you very well likely saved thousands of lives. I will promptly forward your trolling comment from an internet forum directly to the design team and instruct them to reconsider the building. Clearly a huge oversight on their part. Thank you again!

• Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlip View Post

Looks very much like the UK's Government Communications Headquarters to me.

I was thinking of a smoothed-over Pentagon. But that's just me.