More evidence emerges of hybrid GSM-CDMA 'iPhone 4S'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report provides further evidence that Apple is looking to release a global iPhone capable of connecting to both GSM and CDMA networks later this year.

According to MacOtakara, Apple plans to base the so-called "iPhone 4S" off the CDMA iPhone 4 for Verizon Wireless, adding hybrid GSM-CDMA functionality and a SIM card slot "for countries except United States."

Based on comparisons between sourced information and Apple's dimensional drawings of the CDMA iPhone 4, the report claims the iPhone 4S will have a "more narrow front receiver slit" and a smaller FaceTime camera hole. The iPhone 4S will also reportedly receive an antenna for the 5Ghz wavelength of 802.11n wireless networking.

Specifications provided to MacOtakra are in line with a photo of a "SIM slot equipped middle-frame" part obtained by Global Direct Parts. According to the report, Apple warned Global Direct Parts that the image was in violation of the iPhone maker's copyrights.

The next-generation iPhone, alternately described in rumors as the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, is believed to begin production in August ahead of a September or October release. Numerous sources have indicated that the device will undergo only "slight modifications" from the iPhone 4.

Apple is expected to upgrade the phone's processor to the A5 chip currently used in the iPad 2. The next iPhone is also rumored to include an 8-megapixel camera with sensors from Omnivision.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    What's so "slight" about those changes? I don't know that it's reasonable to expect a reinvention of the iPhone every generation. For a year to year change, this seems about right.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And the Verizon iPhone 4 having a dual-band CDMA/GSM chip wasn't enough evidence on its own because...?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to MacOtakara, Apple plans to base the so-called "iPhone 4S" off the CDMA iPhone 4 for Verizon Wireless, adding hybrid GSM-CDMA functionality and a SIM card slot "for countries except United States."

So they adding Gobi to the countries that don't need Gobi but not for the market split nearly 50/50 with the disparate cellular technologies? Why does that make sense?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What's so "slight" about those changes? I don't know that it's reasonable to expect a reinvention of the iPhone every generation. For a year to year change, this seems about right.

They said the iPad 2 was a "minor" or "evolutionary" upgrade and that had a completely new design, new CPU, new GPU, new battery, new cameras, etc. There's basically no pleasing analysts and pundits.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It is not reasonable to expect that especially if a design is working. Apple hasn't significantly changed the MacBooks around in years. With that said, HTC and Samsung have been aggressive in trying to out do Apple. I find those phones lack in quality of materials in comparison to Apple's iPhone, but I do like some of the slightly larger screens.

Quote:

• Reply 6 of 31
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I just want to see an ad campaign with Apple saying, "We don't care what carrier you use." with the iPhone on all 4 US carriers.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I just want to see an ad campaign with Apple saying, "We don't care what carrier you use." with the iPhone on all 4 US carriers.

Three in a few months.

Also apparently U.S. Cellular has a "nationwide" network, but they're never considered as an actual carrier. Along with the dozens of other actual carriers we have in the U.S.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I hope the next iPhone is not a "minor" upgrade. That would put off another major release for another year potentially. I really think they need to adopt 4G in this next release otherwise they will lose that market to Android which already has many handsets that support 4G. Time is of the essence in my opinion. They cannot rely on their adage "we're not the first but we're the best." Other necessary features would be an edge to edge screen, a better browser (stock android browser adjusts the text on a webpage to fit in the screens width, making it easier to read), navigation (again not harp on Android but they have the best FREE navigation provided by Google). I am just worried that they are not ahead of the curve, but rather behind the curve. They certainly do excel in design and materials without a doubt. Even this iCloud announcement of syncing mail, calendar, contacts was nothing special because Google has been doing this for years. Am I off base, or does anyone else share my fears?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

"slight" change in external appearance is accurate. And external appearance is what is most easily comparable for the average consumer.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

I hope the next iPhone is not a "minor" upgrade. That would put off another major release for another year potentially. I really think they need to adopt 4G in this next release otherwise they will lose that market to Android which already has many handsets that support 4G. Time is of the essence in my opinion. They cannot rely on their adage "we're not the first but we're the best." Other necessary features would be an edge to edge screen, a better browser (stock android browser adjusts the text on a webpage to fit in the screens width, making it easier to read), navigation (again not harp on Android but they have the best FREE navigation provided by Google). I am just worried that they are not ahead of the curve, but rather behind the curve. They certainly do excel in design and materials without a doubt. Even this iCloud announcement of syncing mail, calendar, contacts was nothing special because Google has been doing this for years. Am I off base, or does anyone else share my fears?

Well i don't know about that, 4G is still not everywhere. Apple usually likes to launch a service or feature when more people can access it. 4G is still very limited and costs a little more as well. And sure it will be here before you know it. But that is when the iphone 6 will adopt 4G LTE and probably NFC. And safari is getting an update in iOS 5. Personally I like the changes in iOS 5, I think apple is listing to the community, especially the jailbreak community. With there help on board I think they we be able to out run the Android craze. But it will take a couple of years.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Hoping to a Sprint iphone this fall As well as tmobile. Hope the ATT merger falls through because of the FCC
  • Reply 12 of 31
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

You're on and off base.

4G is a white elephant at the moment and Apple don't pander to white elephants. The huge majority of Apple's markets do not have access to a 4G network and many of them won't have for years. Android phone makers will tout their phones' 4G abilities but the consumer isn't so silly after the 3G debacle.

When 3G came along we had a a network here in the UK called Three. They had a huge launch campaign with demos of video chat etc. That network then struggled because 3G just didn't have the coverage. Now that the 3G network has wide coverage, Three no longer has a USP. My point is that 4G is for the future; it's not important for the iPhone 4S/5 to have it unless it can be incorporated for a nominal extra cost, and I doubt that is the case.

Mobile Safari will do exactly the same thing with text with a double tap on any paragraph. Also, iOS5 features the Reader from the desktop browser. That addresses your concern there.

I do like the new slightly larger screens we're seeing from the competition, but it would create a headache for Apple to have three different iOS screen sizes going at once and with two of those sizes in the same product bracket. It's all a very neat setup at the moment for Apple.

I don't think Google quite compete with iCould. You can do everything iCloud does right now, but the point of iCloud is it will do it much, much more easily and conveniently for the user. Create a file on your iPad, it's there on your iPhone and Mac. No thought necessary.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

You're on and off base.

4G is a white elephant at the moment and Apple don't pander to white elephants. The huge majority of Apple's markets do not have access to a 4G network and many of them won't have for years. Android phone makers will tout their phones' 4G abilities but the consumer isn't so silly after the 3G debacle.

When 3G came along we had a a network here in the UK called Three. They had a huge launch campaign with demos of video chat etc. That network then struggled because 3G just didn't have the coverage. Now that the 3G network has wide coverage, Three no longer has a USP. My point is that 4G is for the future; it's not important for the iPhone 4S/5 to have it unless it can be incorporated for a nominal extra cost, and I doubt that is the case.

Mobile Safari will do exactly the same thing with text with a double tap on any paragraph. Also, iOS5 features the Reader from the desktop browser. That addresses your concern there.

I do like the new slightly larger screens we're seeing from the competition, but it would create a headache for Apple to have three different iOS screen sizes going at once and with two of those sizes in the same product bracket. It's all a very neat setup at the moment for Apple.

I don't think Google quite compete with iCould. You can do everything iCloud does right now, but the point of iCloud is it will do it much, much more easily and conveniently for the user. Create a file on your iPad, it's there on your iPhone and Mac. No thought necessary.

Verizon's 4G network is pretty respectable at this point, available in most metros already and more by the end of the year. I think the time is now for 4G, no sense in delaying a feature that more and more phones will have in the coming months.

Also I was expecting iTunes in the cloud to be a streaming service, but instead it is merely a backup and you need to download the music locally. Nice but it has much more potential. I understand Apple not wanting to cannibalize their iPod and iPhone business because they charge a lot for the higher storage amounts that would become more obsolete if users don't need to store the music locally.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

I hope the next iPhone is not a "minor" upgrade. That would put off another major release for another year potentially. I really think they need to adopt 4G in this next release otherwise they will lose that market to Android which already has many handsets that support 4G.

I'm guessing they will release an iPhone 4Gs - CDMA/GSM world phone this fall and then release the iPhone 5G - LTE in the spring when the networks have spread out to more areas. There is very little reason to rush. Yes there are several other LTE phones on the market, but there's no real reason for anyone to own one right now. All they offer is the ability to chew through your data limits a lot faster.

Quote:

a better browser (stock android browser adjusts the text on a webpage to fit in the screens width, making it easier to read),

This is already possible in Mobile Safari - you just double tap the text area and it grows to fit the screen.

Quote:

navigation (again not harp on Android but they have the best FREE navigation provided by Google).

Well in case you haven't noticed, Apple can't add third party features to their OS without coming across as EVIL. Furthermore, there's the liability of such a thing, even Google doesn't recommend using their service for real-time directions.

Quote:

Even this iCloud announcement of syncing mail, calendar, contacts was nothing special because Google has been doing this for years. Am I off base, or does anyone else share my fears?

iCloud is a very different service than what Google offers. iCould isn't a cloud storage service, it's a cloud based distribution service making sure that data and information is in sync across all your iOS devices, Macs and PCs. Google's services never leave the browser. Network computing never took off because of the unreliable networks they were running off of. It hasn't improved much thanks to the greedy telecoms (at least in the states).
  • Reply 15 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Also I was expecting iTunes in the cloud to be a streaming service, but instead it is merely a backup and you need to download the music locally. Nice but it has much more potential. I understand Apple not wanting to cannibalize their iPod and iPhone business because they charge a lot for the higher storage amounts that would become more obsolete if users don't need to store the music locally.

Of course, streaming only works for devices connected to the net all the time. WiFi devices would be left out in the cold. The ability to download and have a local copy makes much more sense when you don't want to be tied to carrier contract or service. Apple also makes and sells millions of devices that only connect through WiFi. At this point in time, downloading works best for everyone. And I'm sure they are working on a deal to offer streaming services sometime in the future.

Apple is not afraid of cannibalizing their business, people are still going to want higher capacity devices for video, which you probably will never want to stream over your carrier network. Your 2GB or 5GB "unlimited" limit would be hit after a few hours of streaming.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

I don't imagine the headache would be with different screen sizes, it would be with different resolutions. And if Apple (as rumoured) do decide to slightly increase the screen size of the iPhone by taking it 'edge to edge', then they would be highly likely to retain the current 960 x 640 resolution.

All this would mean is that the DPI would drop slightly from the current 326 or so to something like 300... still enough to retain the (slightly silly) "retina" claim.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is not reasonable to expect that especially if a design is working. Apple hasn't significantly changed the MacBooks around in years. With that said, HTC and Samsung have been aggressive in trying to out do Apple. I find those phones lack in quality of materials in comparison to Apple's iPhone, but I do like some of the slightly larger screens.

Agreed, at some point the iPhone will stabilize at least in terms of the external design. I'm not sure we're there yet though given the hoopla over death-grips and antennas. It certainly does make sense for at least one more release using the same chassis but updating the internals.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Small correction, there are already 3 different screen resolutions in iOS devices. The iPad, the iPhone-4 and the iPhone3G.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Without a SIM slot, what good is the hybrid GSM-CDMA functionality? If the answer is the rumored embedded SIM, why would it only be in US phones? And would these US phones with no SIM slot be able to work on GSM networks in other countries?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

When the iPhone 4 was introduced, Steve Jobs outright stated that the handset's development took eighteen months. With that amount of R&D invested, It seems likely that Apple will use a design for 2-3 iterations before moving to an entirely new design.

A wide number of incremental improvements (CPU, graphics performance, cellular data speeds, WiFi networking, camera performance, etc.) would be the logical evolution of the next-generation handset, not a brand new device.