iCloud Communications files lawsuit against Apple over alleged trademark infringement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendergast View Post

that's an "e".

imax?
  • Reply 42 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wonder why they didn't register "icloud.com" back in 2005, instead they use "geticloud.com", maybe the domain was already in use.

The icloud domain now belongs to Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    boricuaboricua Posts: 1member
    If I'm not mistaken, the original name for Apple TV was iTV and something (someone) forced them to switch to ATV

This all happened pre-launch of ATV
  • Reply 44 of 72
    . . . or iGo. 1995

iTouch 1999

iUniverse 1999

and as mentioned, iMax 1996.

There's also iHop, but that probably doesn't count.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    In other news, I just squashed a gnat that was buzzing in my ear.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    In either 1994 or 1995 I bought an I-Modem. In 1997 I worked for a company that supported the I-Phone (later bought by Cisco, which Apple settled with to use the name AFTER they released their mobile phone).

For a while everything internet related was e-* or i-*. Apple didn't invent the letter "I". It became truly mainstream after the ipod, not the imac..
  • Reply 47 of 72
    As my son likes to say, sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    mr.gmr.g Posts: 12member
    I hope an asteroid crashes in from outer space and hits the iCloud Communications office. It is these stupid things you read about that make me

If you ever wonder why we are still in a recession, it is because people have decided they have nothing better to do with their time and start these sorts of spineless arguments.

I hope the judge slaps the lawyer for iCloud Communications with a dictionary in the hope he might learn what damage to iCloud Communications "ensuing saturation advertising campaign pursued by Apple" means.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    iCloud of the clan iCloud.

There can be only one.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

I am going to assume you are just young, but the introduction of the "i" (along with "e") to product names did not start with the iMac or even Apple. It was well in use during the 90s.

e didn't. i did.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am not old, but I am not young either. Many young people today aren't that bright and a good percentage of them can barely spell properly, but that's a different topic.

The iMac came out in 1998. Maybe there were some other products which existed before the iMac that had an "i" before their name to signify "internet". You may very well be correct, but if there were prior products, I certainly don't remember them. Do you remember some of these products?

I think that the iMac was certainly the product that began the whole "i" craze and made it mainstream, even if it may not have been the very first product to sport an "i" before the product name.

There was the iMac first. Then iChat. Then iTunes and the iPod The iSight, iLife, iWork, etc.. etc

But before all the there was the iCEO. in 1997 Jobs was appointed interim CEO of apple and promptly was called the iCEO. A tittle he held for a couple years before becoming the official CEO of apple.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelstuff View Post

For the greater good? What is wrong with Apple just revamping the me.com service and using that instead of treading on another company using iCloud. I'm sure Apple probably feels entitled to anything (i) related. But still, they had a decent and really short URL which would likely have worked just fine over the long run.

The post that you were responding to had a winking smiley face emoticon at the end. Crack open a dictionary and look up the word "irony" will you?

I swear kids these days have severely impaired irony detectors. Is it because their communication is more through text and IMs than actual verbal conversation?
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

I am going to assume you are just young, but the introduction of the "i" (along with "e") to product names did not start with the iMac or even Apple. It was well in use during the 90s.

" e-commerce" was widely used in journalism about the growing internet retailers and other transactions. the "E" was not really used as a product name, but a marketing description and a description of online activities. "electronic" has since given way to "internet".
  • Reply 54 of 72
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . or iGo. 1995

iTouch 1999

iUniverse 1999

Of those, iGo is perhaps the only one that preceded the iMac (1998), and I've never heard of it nor remember hearing about it. And it's IMAX, not iMax.

We're not discussing brands that begin with the letter "I". We're referring to the prefix "i" popularized by the iMac.

The prefix "e" or "e-" was much more common, but does not relate except for perhaps inspiring the use of a lowercase letter prefix.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jplyman325 View Post

Not sure how there could be confusion - they offer VOIP service only - I think they are grasping at straws, hoping for a payout.

This article should give a description of what this company do or sell or market and not mentioning the name or the least a picture or link. C'mon eh, where's and what use that journalism education you receive years at the university? You never?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    In Canada, Apple's iCloud tradename was actually formalized as

an accepted Trademark on June 02, 2011. CIPO Application #1529782.

It was based on prior acceptance of the Jamaican application Dec 2010.

It lists well over 200 different 'services' and 'wares' associated with the claim.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...tIndexOnPage=1
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . or iGo. 1995

iTouch 1999

iUniverse 1999

I'm fairly certain it's just "IHOP," for Internation House of Pancakes haha (Speaking of which, there's a road called Cox in my town. There's an IHOP (one of two in my town) located on it. For those with an immature sense of humor like mine, you can probably see why there's a running joke to ask people where they work when we know they work there).

I wonder if this is actually a publicity stunt FOR Apple. I mean, this IS putting their iCloud in the media again? Apple is a master of public relations, and there's no way they would let something this obvious slip. *conspiracy* haha
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Apple should counter-sue for the use of "i" in front of the company name. That is definitely theirs.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Apple should counter-sue for the use of "i" in front of the company name. That is definitely theirs.

They'd have to sue every one of their accessory makers, then. That won't be happening.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dude abides View Post

That's actually not a death blow, they still have common law trademark rights. Which certainly limits their rights to the geographic areas in which they did business and makes things harder because they have to show use in commerce through actual evidence rather what would have been presumed if they had registered, but that's not much of a hill to climb, still quite doable.

A simple pre-registration search would have likely discovered this company. Not sure why Apple didn't settle with them eariler. Probably what someone else suggested already, that Apple tried and this little company thought it would do better taking it to court after the product launch.

Nope. You have to register to sue in federal court, which is the only place a trademark/copyright suit can be filed. And the only way you can sue in federal court is with a registration. However, you don't have to register until x days after the first use of the conflicting mark. (I think it's 90 days).

So this other company can still register the mark and win a lawsuit although it obviously would have made a stronger case if they had filed a registration when they first started using it.

But I agree with those who think this will be settled.