Samsung rumored in talks with Nokia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Simply a rumor at this point but Finnish sources, as reported by the WSJ and Dow Jones Newswire, claim Samsung may be the eventual buyer of beleaguered Nokia. Would that crown Sammy as the reigning prince in both Android and MS mobile camps, or would they go full-in with just Android. Keep an eye on this one.

http://www.techeye.net/mobile/samsun...mpaign=default

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    They have hands in multiple OS, including its very own Bada OS.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

That is a disturbing article, should the rumours become true.

I thought with Nokia now being a Microsoft proxy that would at least buy them a few years before Windows Phone 7 fails even more, and that only then would Nokia be carved up.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I'm not sure I see much sense in buying up failing brands. Nokia tries to sell to everyone and when you sell everyone a phone, who's your next customer? Gradually you just suffocate yourself out the market:

Samsung has some nice products and it would be something new to sell under a new brand but too much diversity and choice can be a very bad thing because people don't know what your brand represents.

Right now, Samsung are in a good place with the Galaxy and Tab and they'd probably just end up ruining their brand hooking up with Nokia. Of course, they will understand what's in it for them more than anyone else can so if they see a growth opportunity, I guess it's fine but I haven't seen many great things coming from HP's Palm buyout.

Maybe they'll all keep shrinking and buying each other until Apple eventually just buys the one company that's left.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe they'll all keep shrinking and buying each other until Apple eventually just buys the one company that's left.

How sure are you that Apple will not go bankrupt?

Once mighty Microsoft is getting pinched by a lolwy start up called Google.

Nokia, from being the king of mobile phones, is barely fighting its way for relevance.

Nothing is so sure in the tech business.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Nokia, from being the king of mobile phones, is barely fighting its way for relevance.

The business strategies of Microsoft and Apple are polar opposites. One of them is sustainable, and one of them is not. Of course, if some doofus takes the reins of Apple when Steve goes, and changes their business strategy to using their market position for profit-taking instead of continuing on a path of constant innovation, Apple's fortune could change.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

That's true, nothing is certain but as I've said in the past, Apple's offerings are byproducts. If you buy a print of a work of art, your respect isn't for the printer who replicates it and more importantly, you don't expect that printer to produce another work of art on their own.

The team (likely a small part of it) working at Apple has proven time and time again that they drive the industry. Intel has said that Apple helps drive their product roadmap. Decision after decision they make is criticised because consumers think they know better. That is not to say they are infallible but so often, the industry ends up playing along and consumers accept it as a way of life.

One thing Apple does is that they aim to be better instead of cheaper. Lesser companies would cling to MobileMe and let consumers suffer - as long as they keep paying, it doesn't matter. Lesser companies put horrible stickers on all their machines and preload them with garbage software that slows down your machine so that you have to pay for tech support. Lesser companies would ship a phone or tablet with Flash, not caring that it slows down browsing or reduces battery life and certainly wouldn't have the balls to make the company responsible for it step up and do a better job before they are accepted.

If the team at Apple aren't held to a high standard then they could fail over time. I'm sure this has happened with Adobe. Uncaring middle-managers leak in as the company grows and these types are good at selling themselves but they have no core values. Finding good people is a very hard thing to do - you only really get to see what people want others to see.

Combine this with the industry reaching a point where technology is so inexpensive and powerful that there's no room left to innovate and then problems could arise. Time will tell but I think Apple is in it for the long haul.