Leaks suggest new MacBook Airs coming Wednesday, voice recognition in iOS 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I hope starting with this update cellular connectivity will be available as an option to the MacBook lines. Either that or an iPhone "Nano", a companion to the iPad and MacBooks about half the size of the current one. Apps requiring keyboard input could be shifted onto the pads/books.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller MacBook Air model.

I wouldn't expect any changes except for the processor and Thunderwear, and perhaps storage and memory.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I know it is easy to update and there would be no cost anyway if that close but it seems like a marketing opportunity to ship a new MBA + Lion in a few weeks. Just saying ...

No, marketing is all about creating visibility and getting attention. You almost always want to spread out your press releases. If you do two at once, their attention is diluted.

MBA this week and Lion later is FAR better than both at the same time.

Marketing 101.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Lion up to date program:

What about macs that you ordered before 6 Juni, but have not been delivered?

I ordered an Imac 4 weeks ago and Apple has not shipped it.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Lion up to date program:

You pay. Same as every other time. The date is set by when you ordered it, not when you get it.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Lion up to date program:

If it was invoiced before June 6, you're out of luck. Lion is only $30, so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It can't be that processor intensive, as I remember doing it 10 years ago on ancient Macs, which weren't exactly powerful compared to today's machines.

Yeah, but the speech recognition wasn't that good, if I recall.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You pay. Same as every other time. The date is set by when you ordered it, not when you get it.

I don't think that's the case. The language is "purchased" which is distinctly different from ordered. If it hasn't been shipped, then shompa probably hasn't been charged yet, which means he can still cancel the order, which I would argue means he has not "purchased" anything as of yet.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

One look at his icon and you can see he is both extremely young and extremely full of himself. I wouldn't trust any info from someone like this (although the MacBook Air rumour is almost a no-brainer to the extent that the update will happen soon regardless of whether it happens Wednesday or not.)

I bet his Dad is an Apple store manager and has loose lips at the dinner table.

Ummmm.......which is it? You wouldn't trust his info, but you'd bet it is correctly heard from his dad?
  • Reply 30 of 78
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm hoping new Macs sold after Lion's release will have a HiDPI screen option. (I don't mean that 130ppi option in the 13" and 15" MBPs, I mean equal to or around double their current resolution)

I hope so as well. When I checked the 250+ features of Lion, I could find no mention of HiDPI, but then again I am unable figure out how the following quote can happen without HiDPI capabilities:

"High-resolution cursor

In Lion, the cursor is crisp and sharp at larger sizes."

The following quote sort of implies HiDPI capabilities if blurring is to be avoided:

"Picture-in-picture zoom

The screen zoom feature in Lion features a picture-in-picture view, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. Choose to have the window follow the cursor, or keep the window in one place to show only areas you navigate."
  • Reply 31 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I was going to show you a screenshot of DP4 to highlight how neither of these are yet the case, but the screenshot was of the entire screen and not the area in which I was zoomed, so that didn't work...
  • Reply 32 of 78
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Ummmm.......which is it? You wouldn't trust his info, but you'd bet it is correctly heard from his dad?

both.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:

With Lion so close I am surprised Apple isn't going to wait and ship any new hardware with Lion already installed.

I see your point. I think it's more to do with how easy and reliable Apple OS X upgrades are. Certainly compared to Windows.

I have a brother-in-law whose never owned a Mac but to his credit, he maintains he never does a major OS update on his Windows computer. Of course, he does the minor ones, but says, if you want the new OS, you should buy a new computer with it already installed. Something to do with "drivers!" Or more to the point, missing drivers.

So glad I'm not him!

Best
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Macbook Airs are real sexy machines. My Blackbook is still going strong, so I'm not in the market for a new laptop at the moment, but sooner or later, I'll definitely be picking up a Macbook Air for my next laptop. I want the small one.

Yep they certainly are...I'm trying do go only with the iPad 2 and iOS5 as my only computer. I do have my trusty original intel iMac still going strong though. If the iPad 2 is not up to being my only computer, when the iMac goes bust, I'll most likely get the small MBA.

I just want to keep the smallest tech footprint possible in my home. The biggest LED flat screen with ATV, iCloud, an iPad 2 and my trusty iP4 (with unlimited data from ATT)

On a side note, and I haven't really thought it through yet...but I wonder if I can cut the WIFI cord to Cox cable. My iP4 has unlimited data for $30/mo. (grandfathered in with ATT) that linked to my iPad 2 might just be able to do it?

Hmmm.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I see your point. I think it's more to do with how easy and reliable Apple OS X upgrades are. Certainly compared to Windows.

I have a brother-in-law whose never owned a Mac but to his credit, he maintains he never does a major OS update on his Windows computer. Of course, he does the minor ones, but says, if you want the new OS, you should buy a new computer with it already installed. Something to do with "drivers!" Or more to the point, missing drivers.

So glad I'm not him!

Best

I think I was really thinking defensively by suggesting as they two were so close why not ship MBA with Lion. The reason being all the Android / Windows morons will point to how lame it seems (to them) to buy a new Mac and have to update its OS a week or so later. We Mac users know it's easy of course.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

I think I was really thinking defensively by suggesting as they two were so close why not ship MBA with Lion. The reason being all the Android / Windows morons will point to how lame it seems (to them) to buy a new Mac and have to update its OS a week or so later. We Mac users know it's easy of course.

Yep...it would be really brilliant to have the new MBA's with Lion installed. It would certainly make for a bigger introduction, for sure!
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

Yep they certainly are...I'm trying do go only with the iPad 2 and iOS5 as my only computer. I do have my trusty original intel iMac still going strong though. If the iPad 2 is not up to being my only computer, when the iMac goes bust, I'll most likely get the small MBA.

I just want to keep the smallest tech footprint possible in my home. The biggest LED flat screen with ATV, iCloud, an iPad 2 and my trusty iP4 (with unlimited data from ATT)

On a side note, and I haven't really thought it through yet...but I wonder if I can cut the WIFI cord to Cox cable. iP4 has unlimited data for $30/mo. that linked to my iPad 2 might just be able to do it?

Hmmm.

One thing I can say about the iPad 2 (I just got one a few days ago) is that as a musician, I'd have paid the price of this thing if it only came with Garage Band! A few years back I happily paid $500 and way more for lots gizmos that did very little in comparison! The guitar synth is mind blowing I am sucking GB files from the iPad into my MBP to finish off cos the Mac's GB and even Logic Pro have nothing to touch the guitar synth. Being able to play strings with my fingers is like sci-fi! Sorry to rave on
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:

One thing I can say about the iPad 2 (I just got one a few days ago) is that as a musician, I'd have paid the price of this thing if it only came with Garage Band! A few years back I happily paid $500 and way more for lots gizmos that did very little in comparison! The guitar synth is mind blowing I am sucking GB files from the iPad into my MBP to finish off cos the Mac's GB and even Logic Pro have nothing to touch the guitar synth. Being able to play strings with my fingers is like sci-fi! Sorry to rave on

I'm a bit of an acoustic guitar player, too...I like GB but find the voice recording somewhat lacking. I can't seem to replicate the rich full vocal sound that professional get in a studio. Similar to what you get while singing in a bathroom.

I have a better than average Mic but GB seems a bit weak. Do you think Logic Express would be better?

Best
  • Reply 39 of 78
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The "marketing opportunity" is to sell an OS twice. They pay for Snow Leopard and then they pay for Lion.

How many times can you spread misinformation in one thread? Many, apparently.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

I'm a bit of an acoustic guitar player, too...I like GB but find the voice recording somewhat lacking. I can't seem to replicate the rich full vocal sound that professional get in a studio. Similar to what you get while singing in a bathroom.

I have a better than average Mic but GB seems a bit weak. Do you think Logic Express would be better?

Best

Sorry off topic ... I use an Electro-Voice RE27ND or a Shure SM58 and an XLR to USB2 from M-Audio and get good results from GB (as well as the higher end apps). I never used a USB mic so no idea what they are like to be honest. (Not that you said you used one ... just commenting on that).

BTW note I am not using a real guitar in iPad's GB, it is the synth I am playing with.