Bootable OSX Lion DVD Image included? True or False?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've heard on the grape vine that OS X Lion, when downloaded from the AppStore, will have a bootable DMG image included in the .app package (right click > show package contents). Apparently, this disk image (Install.dmg or similar) when burned to a DVD gives you the full install procedure as with previous versions of OSX, with access to disk utility and install options for a clean install.

I am not sure if this information is true or not, I'm not a registered developer and do not have access to the RC install packages, but if anyone here is a developer and can confirm this, then OS X Lion just became that little bit better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You act like you can't do a clean install directly from the installer package that you download. You can.

Lion also makes a partition on your drive that contains itself and other tools in case you ever have to fix something. No disc is ever needed unless you buy a new drive.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You act like you can't do a clean install directly from the installer package that you download. You can.

Lion also makes a partition on your drive that contains itself and other tools in case you ever have to fix something. No disc is ever needed unless you buy a new drive.

This is the first time I have heard this, either I missed a post about it on Ai or its only something the developers knew about. (Probably the former knowing me).

Drive failure is something you have to consider, as well as whacking the disk into another Mac without having to re-download on the other system. It may just be me being old fashioned, but I've always proffered having my OS on some form of physical, bootable media. Many people on Ai after the announcement wanted the same thing.

Also, you never answered my question
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Also, you never answered my question

Oh, right. Sorry.

You can just take the DMG that contains the Developer Preview (any of them), burn it to a disc, and it'll work perfectly fine as an install disc. I can't imagine that any ".app" packaged version of Lion will work any differently if you really...

...REALLY...

...want a disc of it.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Oh, right. Sorry.

You can just take the DMG that contains the Developer Preview (any of them), burn it to a disc, and it'll work perfectly fine as an install disc. I can't imagine that any ".app" packaged version of Lion will work any differently if you really...

...REALLY...

...want a disc of it.

I get it, I get it, optical disks == bad joojoo.

Thanks anyway, I think a few people will be happy about this

Could also mean a bootable USB Pen Drive for MBAs.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

I get it, I get it, optical disks == bad joojoo.

Thanks anyway, I think a few people will be happy about this

Could also mean a bootable USB Pen Drive for MBAs.

Heck, we need Thunderbolt NAND drives. No sense in waiting for USB anymore!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Heck, we need Thunderbolt NAND drives. No sense in waiting for USB anymore!

NOOOOOOOO! Not Thunderbolt! Then I'd have to spring for a new iMac
  • Reply 7 of 22
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

You can just take the DMG that contains the Developer Preview (any of them), burn it to a disc, and it'll work perfectly fine as an install disc.

...as long as it is readable. Because burnt CDs/DVDs (as opposed to pressed/stamped CDs/DVDs) start degrading (by osmosis) from the minute they were burnt. Some will already be unreadable after 2 years. All will be unreadable after 10 years!

Pre-Lion install CDs/DVDs were all of the pressed/stamped variety. So they are still readable.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

...as long as it is readable. Because burnt CDs/DVDs (as opposed to pressed/stamped CDs/DVDs) start degrading (by osmosis) from the minute they were burnt. Some will already become unreadable after 2 years. All will be unreadable after 10 years!

I have copied PS1 games that are over ten years old, they work fine. High quality CDs and DVDs (you can tell quality from how dark the bottom of the disk is) will last for years. I have Backup DVDs from 2001, they're now ten years old and they still read perfectly at full speed.

Cheap disks will die and very quickly, high quality disks will last you a lifetime (if stored correctly).
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

...as long as it is readable. Because burnt CDs/DVDs (as opposed to pressed/stamped CDs/DVDs) start degrading (by osmosis) from the minute they were burnt. Some will already be unreadable after 2 years. All will be unreadable after 10 years!

Wow. You're not just completely full of crap about what you think Apple will do with cloud software, you're completely full of crap about EVERY aspect of computing.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Good luck with your burnt DVDs.

And with your social graces.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Stop trollin', you're fooling no one :B
  • Reply 12 of 22
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Quote:

I have copied PS1 games that are over ten years old, they work fine. High quality CDs and DVDs (you can tell quality from how dark the bottom of the disk is) will last for years. I have Backup DVDs from 2001, they're now ten years old and they still read perfectly at full speed.

Cheap disks will die and very quickly, high quality disks will last you a lifetime (if stored correctly).

I've ate the pudding, and it was delicious
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Thanks. I'm loading up a fifteen year old burnt CD right now, works fine. I have DVDs about the same age; they're okay, too.

Quote:

How's that congenital lying treating you? That's certainly not your PART TIME job, at least.

In all seriousness, stop the FUD.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful
  • Reply 16 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Since there is a possibility (probability?) that optical drives may disappear from Macs, would it be a good idea to:

1. Put Lion OS or the next OS version on a thumb drive?

2. Would the 4 MB Lion OS fit on a 4 MB thumb drive or would it be better to put it on an 8 MB?

(that sounds stupid, doesn't it?)

3. What are the down sides, if any, of having the OS on a thumb drive?

4. Would the same method be used to put the OS on a thumb drive as on an optical disc?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

2. Would the 4 MB Lion OS fit on a 4 MB thumb drive or would it be better to put it on an 8 MB?

(that sounds stupid, doesn't it?)

I'd love a 4 megabyte Lion install. I miss when OS' had to have size requirements. Code was tight and clean.

The GM reports as 3.76 GB when "Get Info'd" within the GM itself. Removable media will be reported as the manufacturer describes. So a 4GB drive will show up as 4GB. I'm pretty sure it will work fine.

Quote:

3. What are the down sides, if any, of having the OS on a thumb drive?

Is installing over USB faster or slower than installing via DVD?

Whichever is slower is the downside. A flash drive you can scratch all you want and it'll still work. A DVD you can scratch once and instantly ruin. Though it's unlikely you'll leave a DVD in your pants pocket through the wash.

Quote:

4. Would the same method be used to put the OS on a thumb drive as on an optical disc?

Operationally, no. The instructions are different. The outcome, of course, is the same (a bootable piece of metal and plastic from which you can install Lion).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

I'd love a 4 megabyte Lion install. I miss when OS' had to have size requirements. Code was tight and clean.

The GM reports as 3.76 GB when "Get Info'd" within the GM itself. Removable media will be reported as the manufacturer describes. So a 4GB drive will show up as 4GB. I'm pretty sure it will work fine.

Is installing over USB faster or slower than installing via DVD?

Whichever is slower is the downside. A flash drive you can scratch all you want and it'll still work. A DVD you can scratch once and instantly ruin. Though it's unlikely you'll leave a DVD in your pants pocket through the wash.

Operationally, no. The instructions are different. The outcome, of course, is the same (a bootable piece of metal and plastic from which you can install Lion).

Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 22
    charley2charley2 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Pre-Lion install CDs/DVDs were all of the pressed/stamped variety. So they are still readable.

Archival discs are available with a safe life of over 50 years. commonly used to store photos etc. Available from Adorama and B&H photovideo.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley2 View Post

Archival discs are available with a safe life of over 50 years. commonly used to store photos etc. Available from Adorama and B&H photovideo.

Add that to the fact that what he said isn't true in the first place, you'll have yourself a copy of Lion on ANY DVD that will last far past the lifetime of the OS.