Apple predicted to ship 1.5M Sandy Bridge MacBook Airs with Lion per quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The MacBook Air 11.6-inch outsells the heavier and larger model. The reason is simple: in this MacBook Air line, many people want mobility first and foremost, ahead of power or battery life. That is why if Apple could make a lighter and smaller MacBook Air, it will outsell all other MacBook Air models. Because for power and battery life you can get a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should reorganize it's entire laptop line. Dump the white plastic macbook, get rid of it completely. And then Apple should merge the Macbook pro line with the Macbook Air line. Steve Jobs has already stated that Macbook Airs are the future of laptops. Ditch the optical drives in the Macbook Pros and make them thinner, more like the Macbook Airs. Offer 5-6 models, from the smallest Macbook Air size and up to largest Macbook Pro size and give them all the same name, their screen size will be sufficient enough to differentiate between them. I think that's going to happen sooner or later.

Would seem logical to consolidate 3 laptop lines into 1 given the shrinking importance of the Mac relative to iOS devices in Apple revenues. There has been rumours of a major revamp next year.

Wonder if they would also look to consolidate their desktop range. iMac Pro? Mac Mini/Pro hybrid?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Constant reports of an imminent MacBook Air upgrade to Sandy Bridge processors plus Thunderbolt ports is creating hype that borders on hysteria. Talk about hotly anticipated...

There is good reason for that anticipation. If they can pack everything into the box that people here hope for it will be a significant improvement over what is already a very gold machine.

Quote:

Looks like the 11" MacBook Air is starting to displace the 13" white MacBook as the entry-level Mac.

I'm not to sure, I actually think Apple is grabbing many new customers with the AIR. These are not people looking at it like an entry level machine.

Quote:

It isn't yet clear how a high-end Sandy Bridge Core i7 processor in a 13" MBA will perform relative to the January release of the 2.7 Ghz Core i7 in the latest 13" MacBook Pro, but it seems like it will be more than adequate for most users.

it won't come close most likely, MBP performance isn't the point of the AIR. Remember if they go Intel this will be an ULV processor which means a reduced clock rate. I kinda doubt it will be i7 class.

Quote:

This could be the new retail sweet spot.Whatever comes, my bet is that the new MacBook Air will debut in July, not June, to coincide with Lion.

Lion means nothing! Apple will launch in conjunction with back to school.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be amazing if Apple surprised everyone by adding a 15" MacBook Air to the line-up?

A dream come true!! Well given a more capable device.

Quote:

I think it would cause a frenzy among buyers and maybe even queues at Apple stores - and that, for $2,000+ product, would hugely impact Apple's bottom line.

Why in the hell would you want Apple to charge $2000 for a 15" AIR. There is no rational reason to do so.

Quote:

Any new Air release will only be a placeholder for upgraded MacBook Pros - unless 512 Gb SSD hard drives are available and WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK.

There is a vast difference between the AIRs and the MBPs. I'm not sure why you even bother to compare them. The machines serve vastly different markets just like the iMac, Mini & Pro are targeted at vastly different desktop users.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Cant wait for July now....and the back to school deal to boot!! Please Apple.... price the 13.3's decently...thx.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Would seem logical to consolidate 3 laptop lines into 1 given the shrinking importance of the Mac relative to iOS devices in Apple revenues.

If Mac sales were decreasing I would agree. However, only the percentage of Mac sales relative to Apple's overall profit is decreasing; raw Mac sales are increasing. So I do not see the point of consolidation. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The cloud may help this - especially if more (desktop) features are added in future updates to Lion. But for example, don't keep much music on the harddrive, download it when you want it and delete it again. It may be hard on ISP data, but where I come from there is no cap and I'm often at work (university) with free wifi, and we also have it downtown.

Sounds like you are very fortunate with your situation. However that doesn't mean most of the nation is this blessed. That is only part of the argument, the thing is why settle for network slowness right after moving to SSD?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Apple has been doing fantastic with the portable line up. Strong sales that have been ramping up for years now. The AIR was a real expansion in the lineup, if anything Apple could use more models.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Would seem logical to consolidate 3 laptop lines into 1 given the shrinking importance of the Mac relative to iOS devices in Apple revenues. There has been rumours of a major revamp next year.

Wonder if they would also look to consolidate their desktop range. iMac Pro? Mac Mini/Pro hybrid?

• Reply 28 of 37
    I waited for Tiger to be released before I bought my last Mac. I am seriously considering getting the 13" MBA once Lion arrives.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should reorganize it's entire laptop line. Dump the white plastic macbook, get rid of it completely. And then Apple should merge the Macbook pro line with the Macbook Air line. Steve Jobs has already stated that Macbook Airs are the future of laptops. Ditch the optical drives in the Macbook Pros and make them thinner, more like the Macbook Airs. Offer 5-6 models, from the smallest Macbook Air size and up to largest Macbook Pro size and give them all the same name, their screen size will be sufficient enough to differentiate between them. I think that's going to happen sooner or later.

Totally agree. Notebooks now come in 3 different cases. The invested a lot of time in creating the plastic unibody, but I think they'll save a ton if there's just a single model, in 4 different sizes. Make them in 11, 13, 15 & 17". The 2 largest ones with SSD with BTO SSD or HDD. Thunderbolt & SD card for all models. Various SSD sizes, possibly a 512GB option.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 30 of 37
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Dave,

We have this strange situation where Steve Jobs has announced that the MacBook Air is the future blueprint for all Apple laptop computers, but where the Air as it stands has neither the processor performance nor storage capacity to meet the needs of power users.

So the question is when does a 13.3" Air become a substitute for the 13.3" Pro?

Some people might say when it gets Sandy Bridge, 8 Gb of RAM, and 512 Gb SSD hard drive (as well as Thunderbolt, back-lit keyboard, less reflective screen, and Facetime HD).

A 15" Air would have more room inside for memory, a faster processor and discrete GPU. It would probably only be an Air in name while in reality being a MacBook Pro minus the DVD drive (hence the $2K price tag - if they charge less, then great!).

A 15' Air may be wishful thinking. But if Apple introduces redesigned 13", 15' and 17" pros without DVD drives, then the Air itself may become redundant.

For these reasons, I see the notebook line-up converging into a single range of four machines based on the same basic design of enclosure.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do, which is why I have removed my ODD and have over 1TB of storage in my notebook, but if take a measure of the average user you'll find most of them aren't using that much.

At that rate you have 3 full years before your battery will hold 80% of its original charge.

Do you realize how horrible the battery is at 80% capacity? My battery is only at 93% capacity now, and it only last me on average about 2 hours, and that's if I turn off wifi and dim the screen.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Do you realize how horrible the battery is at 80% capacity? My battery is only at 93% capacity now, and it only last me on average about 2 hours, and that's if I turn off wifi and dim the screen.

It's 80% at 80%. This is measured using the mAH design capacity to the current mAh capacity. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm over 350 full cycles on my MBP and have 94% capacity remaining.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Dave,

We have this strange situation where Steve Jobs has announced that the MacBook Air is the future blueprint for all Apple laptop computers, but where the Air as it stands has neither the processor performance nor storage capacity to meet the needs of power users.

So the question is when does a 13.3" Air become a substitute for the 13.3" Pro?

Some people might say when it gets Sandy Bridge, 8 Gb of RAM, and 512 Gb SSD hard drive (as well as Thunderbolt, back-lit keyboard, less reflective screen, and Facetime HD).

A 15" Air would have more room inside for memory, a faster processor and discrete GPU. It would probably only be an Air in name while in reality being a MacBook Pro minus the DVD drive (hence the $2K price tag - if they charge less, then great!).

A 15' Air may be wishful thinking. But if Apple introduces redesigned 13", 15' and 17" pros without DVD drives, then the Air itself may become redundant.

For these reasons, I see the notebook line-up converging into a single range of four machines based on the same basic design of enclosure.

You're getting ahead of yourself. Designs like the Air are the future of laptops once the cost of SSD's comes down and optical drives become completely obsolete.

Someone else in this thread said Steve Jobs said that the Air was the future of Macbook Pros. That's wrong. He said the future of Macbooks, and I expect that's the next step. The plastic Macbook will be discontinued and the Macbook Air will be re-branded as the Macbook. The MBP will remain until a slim design can adequately replace it, and it can't do that right now, even with more room in a 15" design (they still wouldn't put a 2.5" HDD in it to make up for capacity deficiencies).

Curent lineup:

Macbook

Macbook Air

Macbook Pro

Future lineup:

Macbook (modeled after MBA)

Macbook Pro

Ultimate lineup:

Macbook (all products modeled after MBA, but Pro moniker may remain for high end units)
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Someone else in this thread said Steve Jobs said that the Air was the future of Macbook Pros. That's wrong. He said the future of Macbooks, and I expect that's the next step.

"The next generation of MacBooks" but that doesn't exclude the MacBook Pro as they are also MacBooks.

I don't think it's outlandish to think Apple will use aspects of the MBA in the MBP yet again. I wouldn't be surprised if the optical drive is removed, a mini-PCIe SSD card for a boot partition, a tapered design, and a milled aluminium top casing. That doesn't mean they will forgo the 2.5" HDD. They can even make it thinner by 3mm by only allowing a 9.5mm drive (or by 5mm by only allowing a 7mm 2.5" HDD which are gaining in popularity).
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

"The next generation of MacBooks" but that doesn't exclude the MacBook Pro as they are also MacBooks.

I don't think it's outlandish to think Apple will use aspects of the MBA in the MBP yet again. I wouldn't be surprised if the optical drive is removed, a mini-PCIe SSD card for a boot partition, a tapered design, and a milled aluminium top casing. That doesn't mean they will forgo the 2.5" HDD. They can even make it thinner by 3mm by only allowing a 9.5mm drive (or by 5mm by only allowing a 7mm 2.5" HDD which are gaining in popularity).

You're right, they can and most likely will use design elements from the Air in the next pros, but I wouldn't consider them part of the same lineup until they fit in the same case. One tapered case and one non tapered case still represents the same number of case designs as two tapered ones. The 13" MBP internals won't fit until both the optical drive and HDD are gone, so the lines can't merge until that happens (unless Apple gives up on a 13" Pro and settles for thicker 15" and 17" designs (compared to the 13" Air).

Lion may spell the end of the optical drive, so SSD costs will likely be the determining factor for when the complete transition is made. On the other hand, the Macbook could probably be discontinued now. I believe 2012 was rumored for a major MBP redesign? Maybe SSD costs will have gone down by then. If that happens, I guess this merger could happen rather quickly.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

On the other hand, the Macbook could probably be discontinued now. I believe 2012 was rumored for a major MBP redesign? Maybe SSD costs will have gone down by then. If that happens, I guess this merger could happen rather quickly.

I'm not sold on either a merger of the Mac portables or a discontinuing of the MacBook for anecdotal reasons I've already stated. Remember the Mac mini was deemed EOL for a long, long time yet it has been reborn on several occasions. Then there is the iPod being rebranded as the iPod Classic. Not being fashionable or having the latest HW doesn't necessarily mean Apple will drop it.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

I'm not sold on either a merger of the Mac portables or a discontinuing of the MacBook for anecdotal reasons I've already stated. Remember the Mac mini was deemed EOL for a long, long time yet it has been reborn on several occasions. Then there is the iPod being rebranded as the iPod Classic. Not being fashionable or having the latest HW doesn't necessarily mean Apple will drop it.

You're right, you never know. In a lot of minds, the Macbook wasn't even supposed to get the last case update it did.

I do think that at $999 for a MBA, $999 for a Macbook, and $1199 for a MBP that something has to give though. Could they sell the Macbook for $799 or $899?