Apple to sell unlocked iPhone 4 for $649; iCloud mirroring some MobileMe web services

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Am I the only one on these boards who actually uses iWeb? I know it has its limits, but for a non-coder it is invaluable. I started out on PageMill, and when that died I was forced to use Dreamweaver which was way too much--I learned just enough to update my old PageMill site. I hated it. When iWeb came along I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Like PageMill of old, but updated and better. Tight integration to all things Mac was wonderful. I cannot believe they are just going to tell those of us who have all this time and effort invested: tough luck, find some other solution.

I am a dyed in the wool Apple loyalist, but I am very upset if what they are saying is true. I supported Apple through thick and thin. I'd like to see a little compassion for those of us who wouldn't let you die. It can't cost that much to keep iWeb/hosting functionality going. There should be plenty of capacity with the new NC server farm.

Say it ain't so, Steve.

I agree... Even though I've been using Dreamweaver mostly, I was hoping there would be iWeb Pro...

Maybe iWeb users will be able to host their iWeb Sites on GoDaddy and other such Hosting Companies? But then it'd be silly, when disk space is so cheap... My guess is that Apple doesn't want to support iWeb site authoring through Support, or One on One Training, and give iWeb away for free, like Garage Band and iPhoto! But then, weren't those Apps, as part of iLife one of Apple's Attractions, strengths?

What Apple might be saying, without actually saying it aloud is this:

Get yourself a Domain Name, if you want, and point it to a Page, not a Personal Profile (5,000 Friends Limit) on Facebook... There won't be Layouts.. It'll all look the same, but it'll work... I hope I am wrong...

Dreamweaver will be there, probably, and eventually it'll be HTML5, but when? And what are the iWeb users supposed to do for now, and till then? Can iWeb sites be Converted-Exported, at least the Text with Links part of it!!!

Ideally, I'd like to see iWeb Pro, as paid app, so that it could go up against Dreamweaver!!! It'd be great to know if Apple saw our posts, cause I feel that they do represent a demand that still exists... But then Apple can verify that demand a lot more accurately than any of us.... So, maybe that demand is too small and not worth it, cause more people are choosing Facebook Pages for greater "independence", or "simplicity"... I am using "" quotations to indicate slight sarcasm, cause Facebook is pretty restrictive...

Anyway, I hope iWeb survives somehow...
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

They're definitely dropping web hosting? Shoot. Now I have twelve months to find a web host who can match their service at an affordable price. I don't anticipate this being a very short or easy search.

Mind you, at least I might be able to get support for PHP.

What price do you pay now?

There are plenty of web hosts with $5 a month plans... I personally don't think you should go any cheaper than that.

I've been using Site5 for about 3 years now. They have been great to me.

I currently host quite a few sites with my Reseller account on Site5. I've never had a problem with them. They keep their customers up to date on their blog... and all of their admins are on Twitter and easily reachable as well. Plus they have an active forum full of helpful people.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Unless one travels overseas, I still don't quite get it. Where else are you going to go in America with an unlocked version of that phone? (And Verizon's CDMA is scarce overseas anyway.)

So - what's the actual difference in price plans if you bring your own phone to Verizon? Has anybody done the net cost math over a two year period between getting a subsidized phone from V, vs. buying unlocked?

(And actually you'd have thot the article would have addressed this.)

As for the GSM version, if the T-Mobile discount is "not much" per month as one poster said (and with T-mob quite likely to be absorbed by ATT anyway in less than two years if the merger goes through), well, so for that "not much" of a discount AND losing 3G, again for a non-international traveler, as already asked, "what on earth IS the point"?

(A healthy savings on Sprint - which seems to be excluded - and their 4G also wouldn't work I'd think - with full 3G is the only scenario I can see that would make sense.)

Yes, one would think the article would explore this more. Like I said, for those in the USA you were screwed the moment AT&T got exclusive access to the core GSM spectrum. Now that said, frequent travelers, prepaid users and those wanting to use the iPhone without a data plan or on smaller carriers may consider it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Great, so when can I unlock my iPhone with AT&T? End of my contract in Summer 2012? I don't have a need to unlock it at the moment, but it would be nice if I could when I am done on contract. Give (read sell at a lower price) it to a family member elsewhere in either of my motherlands (Peru, Mexico) is an option for me.

Good question. We'll have to see if existing locked phones will be unlocked by AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

I hear this a lot, but never a real explanation. Aside from dropbox being much less available space, how exactly is it superior? I have looked at it, but I have been unable to see what makes it better. I would like to know, because while I actually think that in most case the document syncing described for icloud looks better, I may need to have both...

Yes, it would be best to have both. Dropbox is basically a "universal file system". You have a folder, and anything you put (including subfolders) or edit in it is replicated to any device and any computer. Whatever changes you made are pushed up to the cloud and synced across all devices and computers when they are connected to the Internet. It's quite impressive. Remember FolderShare? That was actually quite good as well. It was bought by Microsoft and then as usual nobody knows what happened to it.

iCloud is a must because it is so seamless and works well for iOS contacts, calendar, mail, purchases, iWork, and 3rd party apps. Dropbox is primarily (as I see it) for files and anyone still needing a perfectly synced file system. Evernote is still very handy, for just "dumping" random stuff that you can search through and edit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Well, since Apple has extended MobileMe subscriptions through next summer, it stands to reason that perhaps certain functions like Gallery and iDisk will gradually make their way into iCloud after its launch this fall, making the free extension a sort of stopgap measure to buy time for Apple to make the transition and add that functionality.

That is a possibility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

An unlocked iPhone 4 in the US is fine, but it's a year old product. I'd like to know if the next iPhone will have an unlocked counterpart in the States or if this is just a way to boost sales on a product coming to the end of its primary lifecycle.

That is a scary but astute observation. We'll have to wait and see. It depends a lot on whether there will be only one world-mode iPhone 5.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Am I the only one on these boards who actually uses iWeb? I know it has its limits, but for a non-coder it is invaluable. I started out on PageMill, and when that died I was forced to use Dreamweaver which was way too much--I learned just enough to update my old PageMill site. I hated it. When iWeb came along I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Like PageMill of old, but updated and better. Tight integration to all things Mac was wonderful. I cannot believe they are just going to tell those of us who have all this time and effort invested: tough luck, find some other solution.

I am a dyed in the wool Apple loyalist, but I am very upset if what they are saying is true. I supported Apple through thick and thin. I'd like to see a little compassion for those of us who wouldn't let you die. It can't cost that much to keep iWeb/hosting functionality going. There should be plenty of capacity with the new NC server farm.

Say it ain't so, Steve.

iWeb is dead, and has been for a while. They hardly updated it in '09 and didn't touch it for '11. The writing has been on the wall for ages. Also, it's complete shit. There are many, many alternatives that are just as intuitive, but much more robust and also comply with modern web standards. You speak as if it's the only 'non-coder' option out there, which is absurd. iWeb is based on web technology in 2005 and it hasn't changed since then. It's an obsolete product, and although it may still have some loyal users, they're definitely not enough to justify the continued existence and maintenance of the product in Apple's eyes. Due to the exploding popularity of social networking sites and web-based authoring, iWeb doesn't have much place anymore for most people. The web has changed. Again, there's a ton of alternatives, and you have a ton of time to research them. This really isn't worth bitching about. If I was in Apple's shoes I would have discontinued it earlier. It's clear that it has no place in their online strategy.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I hear this a lot, but never a real explanation. Aside from dropbox being much less available space, how exactly is it superior? I have looked at it, but I have been unable to see what makes it better. I would like to know, because while I actually think that in most case the document syncing described for icloud looks better, I may need to have both...

What is different from iCloud is:

- You can put any files in it. Doesn't matter. It's just a folder.

- Public link, so you can send a link to someone to download your files

- Works with Windows

A bit different than iCloud. If you only want to sync your iWork documents between Apple devices then I guess iCloud is enough.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

I've used .Mac and now MobileMe from the start and have used iDisk quite a bit. In the last year I've had to begin using Dropbox for a project and it's better than iDisk because:

a) It integrates into the Finder even better than iDisk in my view

b) It works cross platform

c) It's faster than iDisk

d) Of course, it's free too

The only thing that is better about iDisk is that you can share an individual file with anyone by sending a link to it. I'm not aware that Dropbox can do that.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

I started off with iWeb and then moved over to RapidWeaver. It lacks some of the niceties of iWeb but for the most part it's way more powerful and effective and a reasonable price too. I'm still on V4 though.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview

No connection other than as a satisfied user.

There are other alternatives too as another poster has said. I originally used Freeway from SoftPress Systems before iWeb or RapidWeaver but it was way too powerful for my needs. I had switched to RW already by the time their entry level application was released but definitely worth a look - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/freew...17976220?mt=12

Strangely, both of these are UK applications and RW comes from the city where I live. Novel.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Last I tried, I was able to use iWeb-generated content on my own web host. It's slightly more difficult on the upload, but it does work.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What is different from iCloud is:

- You can put any files in it. Doesn't matter. It's just a folder.

- Public link, so you can send a link to someone to download your files

- Works with Windows

A bit different than iCloud. If you only want to sync your iWork documents between Apple devices then I guess iCloud is enough.

He was talking about the current offering, iDisk--not iCloud. You can do the first 2 but I have no idea about windows. Nor do I care.

iWeb and iDisk, contrary to the geek kings are both great products. They are seamlessly integrated into the apple ecosystem and provide more than enough features for many of us. Just the way iWeb integrates with iPhoto alone convinced me to convert my website from WordPress. This will horrify some but it works for me.

As for iDisk, it's maligned but I don't understand why. 20 gigs of space, stores my iWeb website under my domain name, lots of space for backing up AND easily sharing files, and I can reallocate space for how much I need for email storage. Oh...and it's lightning fast uploads as well. But the geeks have deemed it uncool so I must now go to dropbox which I don't need or want and that means one more account to keep track of. No thanks. I'll take iDisk every time. So Steevo, please consider keeping iDisk and beefing up/automating backing files to the cloud. Files...you know...those are things we old faithfuls who still buy macs and still do real work continue to rely on.

And iWeb lovers, you don't have to panic. 1 year free MobileMe. iWeb will continue to work after that so worst case scenario, you need to rent web space (it's cheap) and FTP there instead of MobileMe. Should work for years to come and the way the web is changing, consider whether you need a website at all after that. I am thinking of holding on for a year and then just using a FB page or something similar once MobileMe is dead. There is also Tumblr and other easy to use canned solutions. I'm not bothering with coding or website building programs any more. I've updated my last CSS file and not a moment too soon!

I think iWeb will bite the dust because it does not fit into apple's future and I understand that. I'm not sure about iDisk yet. Apple can sell additional storage for iCloud accounts. It's no skin off their nose and will produce revenue. They can incorporate seamless (time machine for the cloud) back up in due time. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that account.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

An unlocked iPhone 4 in the US is fine, but it's a year old product. I'd like to know if the next iPhone will have an unlocked counterpart in the States or if this is just a way to boost sales on a product coming to the end of its primary lifecycle.

I don't think unlocked iPhones in the US will boost sales that much. I think Apple will continue to sell unlocked iPhones in the US. It is no coincident that this is happening exactly 4 years from the first iPhone release. No more AT&T exclusivity + Verizon opens the door for more carrier. Sprint and T-Mobile (before AT&T merger) are next for sure.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

He was talking about the current offering, iDisk--not iCloud. You can do the first 2 but I have no idea about windows. Nor do I care.

No one knows iDisk will be around though. If it is and integrated into iCloud then Dropbox is unnecessary, but if it's not he will have to decide between Dropbox and iCould after all. Yes, compared to iDisk, Dropbox is just faster and works well with Windows.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    cashawwcashaww Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Say it ain't so, Steve.

Nope I use iWeb as well. I was hoping for some serious updates, but I guess, I shall have to find another way to host.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

Can someone explain to me how they can make and sell the iPod Touch (with a healthy margin) at $229 and an unlocked iPhone will sell for $649? Surely the iPhone doesn't need another ~$400 worth of added parts to support making phone calls!

Simply because the market for cellphone providers is one with limited competition which means monthly rates are much higher than they would be in a highly competitive market. These high rates allow the phone manufacturers (at the high end) to charge obscenely high prices for their handsets to the carriers.

And since a lot of phones (in the US the vast majority of phones, including almost all smartphones) are sold with a carrier subsidy, few people realise that high-end phones are sold with huge margins. It is essentially the carrier subsidy which allows for the hiding of these high hardware margins. 99% of the US are only now waking up to this, though Apple was selling unlocked iPhones alongside iPod touches in a number of countries already for a while.

Yes, the cell radio costs extra (as does the slightly better screen and the metal chassis) and some patent deals (HTC has been estimated to pay $10 per handset in licensing fees to MS) but one reason Apple has been making colossal profits in the last couple of years is the success of the iPhone. And I have thinking for a while that once handset hardware stops improving rapidly prices will come down noticeably, and so will Apple's profits.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Why can Americans reach a critical mass over something as inconsequential as ?Weiner-gate? but are incapable of putting the energy into fixing a broken system? One of the many mysteries of life.

Because infidelity and any sort of 'sexual' activity outside a couple's bedroom is more serious sin in the US than screwing somebody in a commercial transaction (by abusing a position of power).
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which carrier discounts the cost of the iPhone off the monthly charges if it is purchased unlocked?If the carrier does not offer such a discount what on earth is the point?

Most carriers in markets where phones can run on multiple carriers do so. In Germany you can get a 1 GB/month data-only contract for ?10/month (add any voice plan of your choice to that or keep voice as prepaid). Most often, the carrier with the smallest network is offering these deals or mobile virtual network providers (MVNP), including those operated as a secondary brand by the main providers.

In the US only T-Mobile offers discounts when not purchasing a handset to my knowledge, as do MVNPs like Virgin.

http://www.9to5mac.com/51533/what-do...one-look-like/
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Say it ain't so, Steve.

I don't use the iWeb program, but I do use MM web hosting. The big problem with "finding another host" is that lots of sites point into mine using MM-graded URLs which will break when I move to another host. Alas, these links are out of my control so I can't fix them.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I think iWeb will bite the dust because it does not fit into apple's future and I understand that.

I agree with your comment that iWeb will, and probably already has "bit the dust".

I am curious thought, why you feel that iWeb, or a similar product, does not fit into Apple's future??

For someone who needs to knock out a couple of quick & dirty web pages, iWeb does a great job. For (semi)professional web developers, there are any number of tools to advance to.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    hummerphummerp Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

All I care about is iDisk. My life depends on it. I use it to backup all of my most important documents and keep them in sync between my Macs which are separated by thousands of miles.

I hope iDisk remains even after iCloud.

I do the same thing (although my macs are not separated by as much distance) and use the 'share' function to send out certain documents on a daily basis. My documents include all manner of origin: photos, pdfs, Word docs, Excel docs....not just Apple app generated documents.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which carrier discounts the cost of the iPhone off the monthly charges if it is purchased unlocked?If the carrier does not offer such a discount what on earth is the point?

Most do. Just not in the US.

Often a Separate Phone + Monthly service only contract = 2 year contract + (phone - X%).

In addition, due to competition, the monthly contracts often come down in price so frequently that if you update your monthly contract frequently it will be cheaper than the 24mo contract in the long run. So not only are you saving in the phone price by paying up front, you also save on your contract over the 24 month period.

This works when there is competition in the mobile provider market. Which is one of the reasons you don't see it as much the US, especially when the TMO merger goes through.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Any idea when apple iphone 5 is released? and how much we need to pay to unlock iphone 5.0