any ppc user's let?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
hello

my name is roger and i have been searching everywhere for other ppc mac users to chat with via

im im hopeing some ppc users here will want to chat if so shoot me an im

hope to hear from some of you soon

roger

aim

abaddon1127

yahoo

macgeekg5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hmm...

• Reply 2 of 6
    yeah i think ppc user are becoming few and far between
  • Reply 3 of 6
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macgeekg5 View Post

hello

my name is roger and i have been searching everywhere for other ppc mac users to chat with via

im im hopeing some ppc users here will want to chat if so shoot me an im

hope to hear from some of you soon

roger

aim

abaddon1127

yahoo

macgeekg5

You joined Mactech also
  • Reply 4 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have an old PowerBook I bring out from time to time to run old, finicky PPC apps. As much as I like the PPC, the ARM is there now to be its spiritual successor, so I can sleep soundly knowing that the crap architecture of the x86 didn't completely win.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    A G4 Powerbook is still my daily workhorse, and I also use an eleven year old iMac G3. They've all been upgraded with more memory and bigger hard disks and they're all running Tiger.

I'm about to buy a new iMac and two more MBPs but maybe I'll get the MB Airs. I've been about to do that for a long time though. The problem is there's nothing I want to do with my old computers that they can't do.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MDD G4 PowerMac and a Powerbook G4. I can't afford to upgrade to a Mac Pro so I got a Windows 7/i7 machine to split time on. I still wish Apple would build a mid-tower, but until I can afford Macs again the Windows PC will have to do.

Also, I'm waiting for eBay copies of Leopard come down. I'm not paying $129 after I've already spent so much to upgrade these things. My only problem is that probably in a another year or so most current web browsers probably aren't going to be that usable and there will be no PPC upgrade path. The thing that annoys me is that the all of the iPhone and iPad processors are RISC which means Apple still has to develop a growing chunk of OS X for RISC processors, so Apple could still be developing future versions of OS X on PPC machines with very little in development resources, but they choose not to in an effort to coerce users into buying new hardware. Maintaining PPC code for OS X would be far greener than being passive aggressive about telling people to buy new Macs.