Rumor: Final Cut Pro X on sale, third-party Thunderbolt products unveiled next week

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just ordered the new iMac 27" decked out with 8GB RAM, i7 3.4 GHz CPU, SSD+2TB HD to replace a failing MacPro. Should arrive in another couple of weeks (CTO takes 4+ weeks), shortly after Lion and FCP and some other goodies come out. Christmas in July.

Nice build! If I go the iMac route, I'll be ordering almost the same configuration. Only thing is, I'll be getting the stock RAM and then buying 16GB from OWC for less than half the price as Apple. 4x4GB Samsung original modules comes to $240.00 vs $600.00 from Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I will definitely be in the market for large, fast HDD storage.

I currently use 24 TB of external disk drives:

-- 2 1TB Drives

-- 11 2 TB Drives

I have had some of these drives since 2003 and all run well.

That's an amazingly poor record for the power supplies. Definitely not going to buy one of those, myself.

I do have this little toy, though, that might solve much of your problem. And for good measure, you can add two of these for really absurd amounts of storage. And if you want to get really silly, and take advantage of the bonded interface, here's a fairly cheap switch that'll let you do that. And FWIW, Provantage also has the best price I've found for the DS1511+ alone or in combo with the DX510.

Hmm... so how much space would you need for all the games for the World Cup?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

That HDD. transfer (and read/write) rate is super quick! Way better than my Crucial C300 SATA6 SSD.

That's because SSD storage isn't actually all that fast in terms of sustained throughput, it's actually slower than a good disk solution, especially a RAID array. SSD murders disk on seek time though and burst speeds.

for a single disk setup SATA-6 is faster than thunderbolt, because it's an absolute certainty that internally the external-thunderbolt drive is using SATA.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

So you're correct in that Thunderbolt will make no speed difference if you were to buy a single drive with a Thunderbolt port, other than the drive-to-drive transfer differences you mentioned; but it opens up a huge potential for faster transfer speeds of RAID systems, if you're able to spend the big dollars for one of those. As the previous poster mentioned, for businesses that use that level of storage, these types of transfer speed differences will pay off very quickly in work hours saved.

Erm - define big dollars? Thunderbolt will definitely be good with a 4 or 8 disk RAID system that is striped for speed, but those aren't really that pricey - I have a 4 disk NAS for home media use - it cost around $500. The big dollar solution is fibre-channel, and I don't see thunderbolt changing that at all.

Thunderbolt will be great in the mid-market though.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Erm - define big dollars? Thunderbolt will definitely be good with a 4 or 8 disk RAID system that is striped for speed, but those aren't really that pricey - I have a 4 disk NAS for home media use - it cost around $500. The big dollar solution is fibre-channel, and I don't see thunderbolt changing that at all.

Thunderbolt will be great in the mid-market though.

Well, big dollars for me, and many others just needing a few extra terabytes for personal use. Anything over $400 is big dollars to me, and although you can get a $500 NAS, they don't yet have Thunderbolt. The cheapest I've seen with Thunderbolt is $1000. I'm not saying that's overpriced, as I know for many people and workflows that would pay off quickly and end up saving money, it's just beyond range of my own personal budget.

Since I was responding to someone who had asked about what kind of a difference it would make for a single drive, I was assuming they were in the market for a single drive in the $100-$300 range. Making the jump from there to a $1000 RAID is pretty substantial.

I can also see those prices coming down quite a bit over the next few years, but in the early stages of Thunderbolt I don't think I'll be able to afford a nice RAID that would truly take advantage of it.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Its been quite some time since Apple supported the docking station of the laptop and people in the corporate world do use docking stations. Implementing docking station via thunderbolt for laptops (provided all mac laptops have thunderbolt) would be a good idea.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    marbiolmarbiol Posts: 14member
    Lacie had a run where the power supplies shipped with drives weren't rated correctly for the drives and so failed prematurely. We talked to them a few years back about this and they acknowledged the problem and told us that they were sorting it out (and supplied correct replacement supplies for our drives). They seem to have things in order now and most of the recent drives we've had from them have been good although we do also use a number of WD drives now for offsite backup.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Could you please provide a link? I looked and did not find it.

Just checked and it's not there; honestly, it was up when I posted that: I ran to my shop and showed them and asked them to get me one.

It had said "shipping in 6-8 weeks" so they might have pulled it to repost later.

Dunno.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Nice build! If I go the iMac route, I'll be ordering almost the same configuration. Only thing is, I'll be getting the stock RAM and then buying 16GB from OWC for less than half the price as Apple. 4x4GB Samsung original modules comes to $240.00 vs $600.00 from Apple.

My local shop will be installing RAM at half the Apple price, not to worry.

The SSD should make things snappy (sure did for my MBA) and with a Pegasus RAID off to the side, nothing to worry about.

That said, my current MacPro benchmarks at just over 8600. The i7 iMac 3.4 clocks in at over 11,000 and is less expensive than the MacPro (unless Apple does something amazing this summer...).

Just waiting for the shop to call to say it's arrived...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just checked and it's not there; honestly, it was up when I posted that: I ran to my shop and showed them and asked them to get me one.

It had said "shipping in 6-8 weeks" so they might have pulled it to repost later.

Dunno.

Oh okay. I'm guessing they will wait for next week to announce Final Cut X along side a list of hard drivers and what not, that way they will be able to market them as going together.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    A quick Google for "promise pegasus apple store" had two Apple Store items appear... Canada and Singapore, but neither link could find a page.

Anybody hear of updates to the other FCS apps? For my work, I am primarily interested in Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    So will Apple continue to sell FCP 7 after X comes out? The reason I'm asking is we have some people who want to use our systems to do some cutting and they need FCP 7. We have one system that is ready and another that needs an upgrade from 6. Trying to decide if I have to buy it right now or can wait a bit.