Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's annual back to school promotion for college bound Mac buyers begins tomorrow, offering a $100 iTunes Store gift card rather than bundling a free iPod as it has in previous years.

The new promotion, as it appears in marketing materials depicted by MacRumors (pictured below), notes the deal begins June 16 and runs through September 20.

While the deal highlights "$100 to to spend on the Mac App Store," ostensibly "so you can get Pages, Numbers and Keynote for your studies. And still have plenty left for your study breaks," the fine print details that the credit is redeemable for any iTunes content, including the iOS App Store, iBooks, Mac App Store, and iTunes movies and music.

This year, Apple will add Mac OS X Lion and Final Cut Pro X to its Mac App Store software offerings, which currently include Aperture, iWork apps and iLife apps (although the latter are currently bundled on new machines at no cost).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    That deal sucks...
  • Reply 2 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That deal sucks...

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

BS. Apple is being cheap here. Apple should offer then a $200 gift card.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Quote:

BS. Apple is being cheap here. Apple should offer then a $200 gift card.

Apple doesn't have to give a discount at all. They do.

What is WITH people and this sense of entitlement? Not just from Apple; overall...
  • Reply 5 of 83
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:

That deal sucks...

Students get a pretty good deal anyway with Educational pricing. Apple does not need to give away an additional $229 (price of an 8GB iPod touch) to sell a MacBook to them.

Students can now get a white MacBook for $799 ($899 less $100 iTunes card) or a 13" low-end MacBook Pro for $999 ($1099 less $100 iTunes card).

That's a good deal !!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Lol.

Ummm, no. More likely Apple has decided that their laptop products & pricepoints are sufficiently attractive to students now, and that therefore they don't need to discount them so heavily.

Sad for those who were looking forward to a new (albeit slightly crippled at only 8gb) iPod Touch.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    noexpectations, If someone buys an Apple computer right now, they're not going to have to pay for Lion.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Lion is free to new buyers of Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    Anyone who bought a Mac since the Lion announcement gets a free upgrade. So that first $30 will NOT go back into Lion.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    I hope it's at least a gift card that isn't linked to my Apple account, so I can sell it online or something.

And I needed a new iTouch, my old one is dying.

F***.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Well folks, Apple "wannabe" newbie here - I had been waiting to purchase my 1st ever Mac for the past 6 months. I have been reading the forum on this site and a few others and researching Macs, and had come to the decision to wait until the Back to school promotion, as two of my siblings had got free ipods over the past two years.

I was getting impatient, as the deal seemed delayed compared to previous years, and grew very excited at the news that an announcement was just around the corner.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the announcement - I own neither a Mac nor an ipod, and was really looking forward to entering the world of Apple. A $100 itunes card is not the sort of enticement I had been expecting, and I will now probably wait a full year to see if a better deal is offered - or perhaps even go with the much more affordable PC option, which I had been sure I would not do.

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

\
  • Reply 13 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes.

It might be that the product is unattractive enough that you need to throw in a separate game system to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Ummm, no. More likely Apple has decided that their laptop products & pricepoints are sufficiently attractive to students now, and that therefore they don't need to discount them so heavily.

Except the computers keep the same discounts they've always had... because it's the Education Store...

It was never the computers being discounted (well, it was ALWAYS the computers being discounted, because they've ALWAYS been discounted, but that's not the point), it's the iPods. People have shown they don't want as many iPods anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

If the only thing that makes a Mac "worth it" for you is a free iPod, then you're not in Apple's target market, anyway. They'll never miss you.
  • Reply 15 of 83

Does this mean I can't expect a refresh to the Macbook Air line until mid-September? These promotions typically clear out old inventory, so I'm wondering if they're going to wait until then to release the new line. That would be a very big bummer.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Perhaps not now, when $ is very tight, but maybe later - the ipod was something I was really looking forward to having as part of the experience - Thanks for your encouraging words - nice to know that opinions can be expressed without fear of reprisal or condescension! Jerk.

Quote:

Except the computers keep the same discounts they've always had... because it's the Education Store...

It was never the computers being discounted (well, it was ALWAYS the computers being discounted, because they've ALWAYS been discounted, but that's not the point), it's the iPods. People have shown they don't want as many iPods anymore.

If the only thing that makes a Mac "worth it" for you is a free iPod, then you're not in Apple's target market, anyway. They'll never miss you.

• Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Anyone who bought a Mac since the Lion announcement gets a free upgrade. So that first $30 will NOT go back into Lion.

Ahh...good to know....thanks!
  • Reply 18 of 83
    They need to work on branding the "iTunes" gift cards better. I think it's confusing for people now since it can be used on anything from software to comics books now.

Doubly so when you consider that they also have "Apple Gift Cards" which can't be used digitally.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Kids today need to get a clue. Apple doesn't need to do any promotions at all and they certainly don't owe any students anything. Whatever promotions they may have had in the past doesn't mean that they'll always have similar promotions.

If you don't like it, then go get a free X-box instead from Microsoft. Or wait until next year and see what promotions Apple will be having. Meanwhile, people like me who pay full price for their Macs will use them and enjoy them. I don't remember any promotions when I was a kid. If I wanted something, I'd save up the money and go and buy it, and I didn't whine about it either.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Stop making sense. You know how well that goes over.