Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    As Apple prospers the special deals get poorer, but on the flip side the cost of OS updates has dropped by $100. More people benefit from that than the few who can take advantage of educational deals.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    patrickfpatrickf Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Students get a pretty good deal anyway with Educational pricing. Apple does not need to give away an additional $229 (price of an 8GB iPod touch) to sell a MacBook to them.

Students can now get a white MacBook for $799 ($899 less $100 iTunes card) or a 13" low-end MacBook Pro for $999 ($1099 less $100 iTunes card).

That's a good deal !!

True! I was disappointed too but the MacBook pros are a great deal compared to a pc laptop.

I have been pc for 2 years now and was looking at another pc but all the ones I have seen for under $1000 are junky. Don't get me started on pc trackpads!!! Also as good as windows 7 is, OS X is 10 times better.

Lets put it this way. I have to reboot my windows laptop at least every few days and daily if I use a java app. OS X? Almost never did I reboot.

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the announcement - I own neither a Mac nor an ipod, and was really looking forward to entering the world of Apple. A $100 itunes card is not the sort of enticement I had been expecting, and I will now probably wait a full year to see if a better deal is

This is likely the direction they will go from now forward.

Quote:

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

\

more like they are now at the point where folks are buying the computer for the computer and not for the free xbox. I mean iPod

And remember Apple isn't required to do anything
  • Reply 24 of 83
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this. I did not realize that I was commenting in the "I am a pompous ass who lives to ridicule others opinions" section. I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.

Todays youth! Geesh!
  • Reply 25 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this.

You absolutely have this right. To suggest that buying a computer is only worth it if it comes with a free iPod, however, is abject nonsense.

Quote:

I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.

Your sarcastic tone aside, yes, this should be done.

Quote:

Todays youth! Geesh!

Indeed. Today's youth.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    Quote:

I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this. I did not realize that I was commenting in the "I am a pompous ass who lives to ridicule others opinions" section. I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.

Todays youth! Geesh!

I just think you should quit bitchin
  • Reply 27 of 83
    This deal does suck. I usually took the ipod, put it on amazon, and would have a sale within an hour.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    I agree - I have complained, and I will stop. All I was really saying is that the deal is shitty compared to the past few years. Just didn't like the sanctimonious preaching from on high in response. Bitchin over!
  • Reply 29 of 83
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    I've been looking forward to getting an iPod Touch, and if there isn't anyway to get an Apple Gift card I'm going to be rather upset. At least iTunes won't get any of my money for a few months.

Still, please, please, let them have gotten pictures of discarded, now-revised, material.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anifan View Post

Still, please, please, let them have gotten pictures of discarded, now-revised, material.

Oh, come on. Honestly?
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, come on. Honestly?

Yes. Surprisingly I'd prefer a $200 iPod Touch to a gift card. I know, I'm absolutely insane.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree especially when Microsoft is offering a free X-Box with PC purchase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That deal sucks...

• Reply 33 of 83
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

This deal does suck. I usually took the ipod, put it on amazon, and would have a sale within an hour.

Maybe Apple didn't like the devaluing of iPods that happened every summer.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree the free Apple TV wold have been nice. However, Apple generally gives these promotions to clear out inventory before an update. It is possible Apple isn't updating the iPod Touch or it isn't looking to clear channel inventory prior to new models.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.

• Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Maybe Apple didn't like the devaluing of iPods that happened every summer.

I was selling them easily for $10 under list so I wouldn't say there was too much supply.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    One thing about this: it might be more attractive to parents.

We all know that it's actually the parents that purchase the laptop... Not some kid that saved up his grocery store clerk made cash. And parents might like this because they can be told that it can be used to buy educational software like iWork and Aperture (if they are a photography student for instance).

Also... As for value of the card... you have to remember that just because an iPod is priced at $200 that doesn't mean it costs Apple $200. Probably closer to $100 in materials... ie the price of the card this year.

Finally, a lot of people already have iPods or iPhones and don't need another... But would really appreciate $100 of free iTunes store stuff... I know I would!
  • Reply 37 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree especially when Microsoft is offering a free X-Box with PC purchase.

Some people are talking about $100 as if it represents a years salary or as if we were living in a third world country. If these frugally minded people go with the free Xbox offer, how will these people ever afford to buy any games, the good ones are pretty pricey and they might be stuck with an Xbox without a single game to play on it if they choose to go that route.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    But an Xbox plays netflix to a TV, can get Zune video, and has access to tons of used games for around 5 to ten dollars. Microsoft's deal makes this seem really weak.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Doesn't every student already own three iPods by now?

It makes sense that the promotion is iTunes credit since their focus is now on cultivating a garden of users with healthy (paid) app-etites in order to attract developers. Though $100 credit is not really $100 value. Those cards routinely sell for 25-50% off their face value in brick and mortar stores.

However, the current line-up of macs offers more value than they ever have (particularly for international purchasers). Part of me wishes that I needed a new one, just so I had a reasonable excuse to update.

When are retina-display Macs predicted again?
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I was able to pick up a new 13" MBP for $999 at Best Buy.

They actually matched Micro Center's price. No rebates.

I also get $20 in BB reward zone store credit.

Not a bad deal and no rebates to deal with.