Apple releases update for WWDC Mac OS X Lion DP4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has made available the first update for the developer preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, which was released during the company's Worldwide Developer Conference last week.

The update, named simply "Lion Developer Preview Update," weighs in at 656.6 MB and "is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4." It appears in Software Update.

Apple has announced that it will be distributing Mac OS X Lion exclusively through the Mac App Store and not in retail packages using optical discs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    I found at least one thing that's changed, and for me it's an important one;

On my 2011 MBP I had a lot of trouble to install Lion preview 4, because there's a file in it that prevents the system from rebooting (so it stalls the install at the reboot that normally occurs halfway).

After installing it from another Mac (using the MBP in target mode) I had to manualy remove a file and replace it with a file of the same name from my 10.6 system.

The file is used for the wi-fi connection, and while I could now boot (with some strange stuff going on during boot, but still) and use Lion, there was one drawback: my MBP would not remember my wi-fi network.

I had to point it to my own network every time after rebooting.

After this update the network is being remembered like it should, and the boot sequence is 'cleaner'.

Me happy :-)
  • Reply 2 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I like the new login screen. A lot. It's psychologically disconnected from the EFI boot screen now, and that folder background (that they've started to really milk... ) remains gorgeous.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    ijordanijordan Posts: 19member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1883003 that folder background (that they've started to really milk... ) remains gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

What is the/a folder background? I'm confused
  • Reply 4 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijordan View Post

What is the/a folder background? I'm confused

The hatched background used across OS X now (in both the original dark and new light forms) originally appeared as the background of folders in iOS 4, so I call it the folder background, because that's how many people know it.

Here's the dark form (like on the login screen):

And the new light form (behind the Spaces in Mission Control and as the default background in Safari, interestingly enough):

• Reply 5 of 36
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Apple has announced that it will be distributing Mac OS X Lion exclusively through the Mac App Store and not in retail packages using optical discs.

So, for those in an enterprise where everything goes through a purchasing group. How are we going to get users upgraded as they wish to without them signing into their itunes account and ordering one license at a time with their corporate card (which is against company policy) and then filling out expense reports?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

So, for those in an enterprise where everything goes through a purchasing group. How are we going to get users upgraded as they wish to without them signing into their itunes account and ordering one license at a time with their corporate card (which is against company policy) and then filling out expense reports?

With the greatest of respect, your company's policy is nothing to do with Apple.

What Apple may do is release optical versions of the software for enterprise use after the initial release. There's no rush because we all know no good enterprise installs new software that soon. They wait until it's gone through the teething problems etc. Also, most large enterprises are monolithic and won't upgrade very quickly regardless of any other factors. They may also just see no real productivity benefit and not want to lay out that cash.

Is there anything stopping your company from setting up a company iTunes account and just buying it once? That's a genuine question, I'm not being difficult. At worst you could buy one version for every 5 employees or something. I've never read iTunes' T&Cs with enterprise in mind.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The update, named simply "Lion Developer Preview Update," weighs in at 656.6 MB and "is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4."

Strange, mine weighed in at 994.4MB
  • Reply 8 of 36
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The hatched background used across OS X now (in both the original dark and new light forms) originally appeared as the background of folders in iOS 4, so I call it the folder background, because that's how many people know it.

I've been hearing it referred to as linen.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

With the greatest of respect, your company's policy is nothing to do with Apple.

What Apple may do is release optical versions of the software for enterprise use after the initial release. There's no rush because we all know no good enterprise installs new software that soon. They wait until it's gone through the teething problems etc. Also, most large enterprises are monolithic and won't upgrade very quickly regardless of any other factors. They may also just see no real productivity benefit and not want to lay out that cash.

Is there anything stopping your company from setting up a company iTunes account and just buying it once? That's a genuine question, I'm not being difficult. At worst you could buy one version for every 5 employees or something. I've never read iTunes' T&Cs with enterprise in mind.

No disrepect taken at all. This is nothing but an internal issue - Even though we are a huge company our OS X clients are unmanaged and unsupported. Not something that I and others have not tried to change several times. So, we will have users immediately asking for it and maybe just telling them no for now is the answer. Just trying to be proactive as much as our situation will allow.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Lion supports net install. Your IT department needs to get a copy of Lion, then they can remotely install it to every machine on the network.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    After installing Snow Leopard I thought any direction Apple took the operating system was just going to be gimmicky. I wasn't that thrilled about iOS creeping into OS X, but after watching the developer preview I'm really looking forward to Lion, particularly their incredibly disciplined implementation of multi-touch. As an observer, the staged roll-out of multi-touch, from halcyon days of two finer scrolling, felt excruciatingly slow, but extremely satisfying now that it is about to reach a new conclusion.

I’m glad Apple have defined such an important industry standard more-or-less on their own. Capacitive input. Pinch and spread gestures that resize content in proportion to finger motion. Inertial scrolling. Marvelous.

Imagine if Microsoft had been allowed to define the era of multi-touch computing? It would be a smashed badger of nested menus, unsecure background processes, obscure errors and start button/system tray/taskbars up the wazoo. Sometimes, using Windows just feels like working in a third world country.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

After installing Snow Leopard I thought any direction Apple took the operating system was just going to be gimmicky. I wasn't that thrilled about iOS creeping into OS X, but after watching the developer preview I'm really looking forward to Lion, particularly their incredibly disciplined implementation of multi-touch. As an observer, the staged roll-out of multi-touch, from halcyon days of two finer scrolling, felt excruciatingly slow, but extremely satisfying now that it is about to reach a new conclusion.

I?m glad Apple have defined such an important industry standard more-or-less on their own. Capacitive input. Pinch and spread gestures that resize content in proportion to finger motion. Inertial scrolling. Marvelous.

Imagine if Microsoft had been allowed to define the era of multi-touch computing? It would be a smashed badger of nested menus, unsecure background processes, obscure errors and start button/system tray/taskbars up the wazoo. Sometimes, using Windows just feels like working in a third world country.

Agreed all the way. Love the last part, lol. The multi-touch in Lion is so intuitive going back to Snow Leopard feels like OS 9 in comparison.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed all the way. Love the last part, lol. The multi-touch in Lion is so intuitive going back to Snow Leopard feels like OS 9 in comparison.

Is the Lion multi-touch really that different from SL?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dssstrkl View Post

Lion supports net install. Your IT department needs to get a copy of Lion, then they can remotely install it to every machine on the network.

IT does not support OS X. IT does not have access to the machines. Did I say IT does not support OS X?

A company with over 750,000 employees (of which only about 3,000 use Macs) doesn't have an "IT department"
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

IT does not support OS X. IT does not have access to the machines. Did I say IT does not support OS X?

A company with over 750,000 employees (of which only about 3,000 use Macs) doesn't have an "IT department"

I think we're all a bit lost what you mean here? It seems liked a reasonable suggestion.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Can someone who's installed it run Ruby -v at the terminal and tell me what version it's running?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

Can someone who's installed it run Ruby -v at the terminal and tell me what version it's running?

ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [universal-darwin11.0]
  • Reply 18 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I don't see the problem. Why assume that each end user would buy and upgrade their own instead of IT buying their own copy and either doing the network boot or DVD boot that is a cake walk to set up?
  • Reply 19 of 36
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Is this DP4 updatable? I mean when Gold Master gets released are we going to be able to update to it? How does that work? Need a new fresh install of GM?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I’m glad Apple have defined such an important industry standard more-or-less on their own. Capacitive input. Pinch and spread gestures that resize content in proportion to finger motion. Inertial scrolling. Marvelous.

Yes! I think we've been a bit spoiled by the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, so we don't really appreciate that Apple has quietly been shipping many millions of multitouch-capable personal computers for the past 3 years. At least as technology stands today, the trackpad interface is optimal for computers.

Other implementations have been gimmicky, sloppy, and half-baked. Ooh! I can resize a light table full of butterfly photos! I can go through my music in a faux-Cover Flow skin

Lion: Zooming, panning, scrolling, navigating backwards and forwards, window management, multiple fullscreen apps...these are practical, real multitouch implementations that can be used on EXISTING hardware and software.