Apple releases update for WWDC Mac OS X Lion DP4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

IT does not support OS X. IT does not have access to the machines. Did I say IT does not support OS X?

A company with over 750,000 employees (of which only about 3,000 use Macs) doesn't have an "IT department"

That's a huge organisation! The figure of 750,000 suggests you work for the US Postal Service.

Only Wal-Mart and the US government employ more people while all other organisations employ far fewer, e.g. McDonalds 450,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_employees

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ees/index.html

Perhaps the simplest answer to your question is for you to pay for the upgrade and you get reimbursed by the IT department?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I think not having it in a retail package is a mistake... I live in Australia, and I'm restricted to using mobile broadband, because I can't get adsl2 where I am. I have 14gb for a month, and I go through that as it is. It's virtually impossible for me to download a 4gb file! I'm not alone! I would prefer to pay a bit more, so I can have it on disc.

Apologies if it is less than 4gb, but thats my understanding of the file size of Lion...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Why does Lion download from Mac App store, but update via Software Update? Why not update via Mac App Store?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holden89 View Post

I think not having it in a retail package is a mistake... I live in Australia, and I'm restricted to using mobile broadband, because I can't get adsl2 where I am. I have 14gb for a month, and I go through that as it is. It's virtually impossible for me to download a 4gb file! I'm not alone! I would prefer to pay a bit more, so I can have it on disc.

Apologies if it is less than 4gb, but thats my understanding of the file size of Lion...

Apple realizes there are some people in all markets that don't have fast and/or limited data for their networks, but how many of those users affect them at this point? What would be your overage fees for the extra 4GB? Add that plus the cost of a blank SL-DVD and I bet that will be cheaper than what Apple would charge for a DVD version, and certainly less than $129.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

Why does Lion download from Mac App store, but update via Software Update? Why not update via Mac App Store?

Because one is a new product for sale and the other is an update to the system OS. I'd like this to be wrapped into one with Software Updater for Mac OS and its apps in one section and Mac App Store apps in another section, which a button to press to have the Mac App Store flip around, just like with iBooks.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I don't have the new update, why snifsnif
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple realizes there are some people in all markets that don't have fast and/or limited data for their networks, but how many of those users affect them at this point? What would be your overage fees for the extra 4GB? Add that plus the cost of a blank SL-DVD and I bet that will be cheaper than what Apple would charge for a DVD version, and certainly less than $129.

Cheaper - yes... $80 to be able to download it, plus the $39 (or so) that Australian's will get charged for it on the App Store. Our exchange rate is better than the US at the moment, yet we pay more for things. Ripped off haha.

All I can say is I hope I can get adsl2 in the near future. I live less than 2kms out of the CBD of Sydney, and it's "too dense" an area to get it.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holden89 View Post

All I can say is I hope I can get adsl2 in the near future. I live less than 2kms out of the CBD of Sydney, and it's "too dense" an area to get it.

Maybe the Apple Store in George Street will let you download it there, and take home on a USB key.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    prwprw Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Apple has announced that it will be distributing Mac OS X Lion exclusively through the Mac App Store and not in retail packages using optical discs.

So, for those in an enterprise where everything goes through a purchasing group. How are we going to get users upgraded as they wish to without them signing into their itunes account and ordering one license at a time with their corporate card (which is against company policy) and then filling out expense reports?

The Mac App store download is basically a wrapper around a disk image file, which can be found by using Show Package Contents from /Applications. This disk image can be burned to DVD by Disk Utility. The resulting DVD shows up as a boot option in the Startup Disk preference pane. So once an upgrade is available on a Mac with a DVD burner attached, a Lion Install DVD can be created with a little time.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

No disrepect taken at all. This is nothing but an internal issue - Even though we are a huge company our OS X clients are unmanaged and unsupported. Not something that I and others have not tried to change several times. So, we will have users immediately asking for it and maybe just telling them no for now is the answer. Just trying to be proactive as much as our situation will allow.

In this scenario, if the OSX users are already un-managed and unsupported the company line should be "if you are upgrading, it is at your own peril & expense". Problem solved.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    object-xobject-x Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [universal-darwin11.0]

Thanks
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because one is a new product for sale and the other is an update to the system OS. I'd like this to be wrapped into one with Software Updater for Mac OS and its apps in one section and Mac App Store apps in another section, which a button to press to have the Mac App Store flip around, just like with iBooks.

Yet, every other product in that same store update from there. Now the update function is divided to two locations, not really a elegant solution. I don't really mind where the update is, it should just be consistent. Apparently people don't bother updating their software regularly, this won't help it.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

Yet, every other product in that same store update from there.

Unless it's an "iLife/iWork Compatibility Update". Then it's in Software Update.

Quote:

Apparently people don't bother updating their software regularly, this won't help it.

Nor would having one place to do it. If they're not going to do it, then they won't do it at all. The only way to ensure updates is to have them happen automatically by default and give people a tick box so that those of us who care about updating manually (read: should be everyone) turn that feature off.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Hi all,

I will appreciate if someone who's got Lion installed can give me information:

Is it possible to change the Menubar font size in Finder?

This was possible long time ago, but not in Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Another question:

I have Mac Pro, and I don't want to update, I want to install Lion on a separate hard drive and use multi-boot option. I must keep Snow Leopard for some reason (some clients still use old CS2 applications, so I must have Rosetta installed).

Usually for this retail version is necessary.

Anyone with some info?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasha_yu View Post

Is it possible to change the Menubar font size in Finder?

I know of no way to do this, nor have I seen it as a setting anywhere.

Quote:

I have Mac Pro, and I don't want to update, I want to install Lion on a separate hard drive and use multi-boot option. I must keep Snow Leopard for some reason (some clients still use old CS2 applications, so I must have Rosetta installed).

Usually for this retail version is necessary.

Anyone with some info?

Usually? As opposed to all the other releases of OS X that have only come out as downloads?

Of course it's going to work like that. Just pick the partition/hard drive you want and install.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

With the greatest of respect, your company's policy is nothing to do with Apple.

What Apple may do is release optical versions of the software for enterprise use after the initial release. There's no rush because we all know no good enterprise installs new software that soon. They wait until it's gone through the teething problems etc. Also, most large enterprises are monolithic and won't upgrade very quickly regardless of any other factors. They may also just see no real productivity benefit and not want to lay out that cash.

Is there anything stopping your company from setting up a company iTunes account and just buying it once? That's a genuine question, I'm not being difficult. At worst you could buy one version for every 5 employees or something. I've never read iTunes' T&Cs with enterprise in mind.

Quote:

No disrepect taken at all. This is nothing but an internal issue - Even though we are a huge company our OS X clients are unmanaged and unsupported. Not something that I and others have not tried to change several times. So, we will have users immediately asking for it and maybe just telling them no for now is the answer. Just trying to be proactive as much as our situation will allow.

Apple HAS to provide Corporate/Education another form to distribute Lion. We have a campus license agreement with them and I have no doubt we will be provided media or a download that we can use on multiple computers for 10.7. I don't necessarily need media but I am sure we will be provided another source then going through the App Store.