Apple may freeze new Mac introductions until release of Mac OS X Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I wonder if holding back on new macs will mean:

1- New Mac Pro's with better thunderbolt accessories

2- New Apple HD Monitor with Built in HD cam + which is touch screen capable

3- New Mac-Mini with Thunderbolt

4- Macbook with touchscreen and combo Hard drive SSD drive.

5- Macbook Air with touchscreen and combo Hard drive SSD drive.

6- Macbook Pro with touchscreen?

Honestly, adding touchscreen capability to the entire laptop product line ought to be possible and an easy manufacturing upgrade for Apple to accomplish. They could do it in the same form factor without major changes.

The only upgrade as an option i would like is Blu-Ray Recording, even for storage. At this point Apple is ridiculous by not offering it in their desktop line. BD is widely adopted, and a great format for sharing movies on in HD.

not everyone wants to be connected to internet and stream everything.

Touchscreen for computers does not work. Dell has had it for years. You cant work effective touching the screen. Mouse/keyboard is much better + a good trackpad.

Apple and Intels exclusive agreement back in 2006 runs out any day now. Intel designed Apples motherboards and provided CPUs in that agreement.

If Apple now has a non exclusive deal, they maybe has to design their own motherboards. Could explain the delay.
  • Reply 22 of 134
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    The move makes a lot of sense. Why upgrade only to have to deal with a very major OS upgrade in a month? Also, the arrival of Lion is likely to make having a multi-touch pad much more useful. It's better for both seller and buyer to wait and have a new MBA, a new OS and a new UI all in the same package.

The real hitch is likely to be the pricing. The current 11" MBA is woefully overpriced, particularly given its less than spectacular battery life. If Apple wants a hot product with impressive sales, they need to do something about that.
  • Reply 23 of 134
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Honestly, adding touchscreen capability to the entire laptop product line ought to be possible and an easy manufacturing upgrade for Apple to accomplish. They could do it in the same form factor without major changes.

The only upgrade as an option i would like is Blu-Ray Recording, even for storage. At this point Apple is ridiculous by not offering it in their desktop line. BD is widely adopted, and a great format for sharing movies on in HD.

I don't think a new MBPro /laptops with touch screen is going to be released anytime soon. Jobs already mentioned that form factor not working comfortably well (people touching a vertical screen; iMac as well). The iPad/Pod/Phone is the easier format to do touch based interfaces. That is why Apple has the trackpads on laptops and the new external one for touch interfacing with your desktop PC.

Built in BD capability would be nice for backing up data. I would love to be able to bak my MP3's up on just a few BD's. It would take a ton of time to burn I imagine, but good to have just in case.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I was planning to await Lion before upgrading my iMac, but since I heard that Apple is doing away with iWeb and hosting, I may have to keep my old iMac and not upgrade OS or hardware. I can always find another host, but I just can't face having to buy and learn a new web authoring program and re-do my class website with it's hundreds of specialized web pages. Too many hours invested.

It seems Apple is doing everything it can to speed the adoption of Lion. Doing away with iWeb will keep me from jumping on the bandwagon until I have no other choice. Could be years.

Oh no, you can install iWeb fine on your Lion machine. The death of iWeb is merely the removal of site hosting (which you cannot avoid as it occurs server-side) and no further updates to iWeb. Your concerns about iWeb's demise should not impede your upgrade to Lion in the slightest.
  • Reply 25 of 134
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I was planning to await Lion before upgrading my iMac, but since I heard that Apple is doing away with iWeb and hosting, I may have to keep my old iMac and not upgrade OS or hardware. I can always find another host, but I just can't face having to buy and learn a new web authoring program and re-do my class website with it's hundreds of specialized web pages. Too many hours invested.

It seems Apple is doing everything it can to speed the adoption of Lion. Doing away with iWeb will keep me from jumping on the bandwagon until I have no other choice. Could be years.

Not sure what one has to do with the other. I would be almost certain (never certain until tested) that the current iWeb will still run on Lion, just would be able to buy it going forward. Of course it hasn't been update for something like 2 years in any case.
  • Reply 26 of 134
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "so that buyers are afforded the latest and greatest Apple experience"

Really?

Why they do not fix then the bugs that plague Mac OS X? And why do they keep on charging for new versions of something that is basically new beta versions of Mac OS X 10.0? It seems that Apple is too busy with iOS instead.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:

1 - The Mac Pro refresh I think is overdue now, so this seems pretty likely to me.

2 - I'm really not sure how much benefit touch screen on a monitor is. Seems pretty awkward to be reaching out and interacting directly with a monitor.

3 - A Mac Mini refresh to include Thunderbolt and new Sandy Bridge processors seems pretty obvious and imminent also.

4 - Touch screen on a laptop seems almost as awkward of an interface as on a monitor. I'm also wondering if the MacBook line isn't soon to be dropped. How much is this line really going to have to offer in between the MacBook Pro and the Air?

5 - MacBook Air with an additional HDD for storage? While this does sound pretty attractive, I seriously doubt that the form factor has the physical space to accommodate this configuration. Again, I just don't think a touchscreen on a laptop offers the kind of practical use and fluid interface that Apple is going to go for.

6 - Same as the Air with a touchscreen.

I'm pretty sure that we will be upgrading both our Mac Pro and MacBook Pro to Lion next month. I'm really thinking of grabbing a SandForce SSD for the Mac Pro and give my 3.5 year old system a serious kick in the pants. I just upgraded the GeForce 8800 GT to a Radeon HD 5770, and wow what a difference that made.
  • Reply 28 of 134
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    Whatever, just release the machines and let them update if it has been less than 30 days. Otherwise, it's $29.99 to upgrade like everyone else.
  • Reply 29 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

1 - The Mac Pro refresh I think is overdue now, so this seems pretty likely to me.

Except no chips exist, so they can't possibly be updated. Normally Mac Pro refreshes go a year and a half between, so we're not overdue, anyway.

Quote:

2 - I'm really not sure how much benefit touch screen on a monitor is. Seems pretty awkward to be reaching out and interacting directly with a monitor.

You're right. It's idiotic vertically. However...

Quote:

4 - Touch screen on a laptop seems almost as awkward of an interface as on a monitor.

More so. This won't happen EVER.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Io5 delayed. Almost 4month after schedule

What "schedule"? What "delay"? You can't possibly know this.

Quote:

Iphone 5 delayed because Ios5 delayed

See above.

Quote:

Ipad2 still has huge production problems. Was about 2 month late when released.

So it was late... when it was released early. Okay.

Quote:

no macmini refresh for a year

That's perfectly normal.

Quote:

no macbook air refresh almost a year

no macbook refresh almost a year

And this is the only part of your quote with which I agree. Except your numbers are off.

Quote:

no macpro refresh over a year.

And? Average time is a year and a half.

Quote:

New intel CPUs released 2 month ago.

Having absolutely nothing to do with the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro uses these. Xeon E5 LGA 1356. The Mac Pro has always used those. They're not due until Q4.

Quote:

Ipod classic not updated for almost 2 years.

It's dead. The ten year anniversary will be its funeral.

Quote:

Time capsule has not been updated for years. 3 terra disk available.

Apple has never updated the Time Capsule's capacity with any semblance of urgency.

Quote:

To be introduced 2011:

AppleTV LCD version

Posts don't allow enough to adequately express how much this won't happen.

Quote:

Stupidity: Kill of Xserver Xraid

1. No one wants beautifully-designed server hardware.

2. Apple's replacing the XServe/Mac Pro/something later this year. Stay tuned.

Quote:

Using 5 year old CPUs in many computers is not good.

Are... you talking about people still using PPC Macs? I don't get this.

Quote:

interesting: Apples exclusive agreement with intel runs out any day now.

Interesting: How you think you could possibly know this or that it can even happen.

Quote:

After that Apple can use AMD/ARM cpus in their lineup.

You've seen this, yes? Can't work on AMD chips. Not going to happen ever.
  • Reply 30 of 134
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

offering a means of automatic data synchronization that is both unparalleled in the computing industry, and paramount in an age when consumers are adopting a digital lifestyle in which they own and operate multiple mobile devices.

Apple's investment in unique, cutting-edge notebook designs

"Whether you want a great new notebook or a killer desktop with the new iMac, these Macs are the best that we've ever made in the history of Apple," Schiller said. "And they're great not just because of the hardware they run, but because of the software."

In addition to seamlessly syncing data, contacts and calendars across multiple devices -- including Macs and PCs --. And no PC maker that competes with the Mac lineup offers an integrated solution such as Apple's.

Could you at least stop writing an advertisement for Apple, and stick to the facts?

While you're at it, could you also reduce the length of your articles by approximately 300%?

You got a lot of words but not much to tell.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Fair enough - makes sense. Not long to go anyway...

No, it doesn't make sense. From a marketing perspective, having TWO big events is better than one big event where the two are combined.

Furthermore, Lion is a month away. Given that new MBAs are likely to be in short supply, that means that many people might miss out on getting their new computer in time for back to school.

Now, it's possible that Apple doesn't have any new hardware available for other reasons, so I obviously can't guarantee that there will be something new before Lion. But intentionally holding up hardware for more than a few days doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm sorry, I know I'm going to be tagged as overly pessimistic here, but Lion is not nearly as revolutionary as previous OS X upgrades have been. Delaying hardware releases out of convenience for customers so they don't need to download it makes sense. Especially since in the past they'd just slip an upgrade disk into the box before shipping it, and now there are no upgrade disks.

All previous OS X releases weren't "revolutionary" either.

Granted, features like Expose (10.3), Spotlight (10.4), and Time Machines (10.5) were pretty major, but each releases were really more evolutionary than revolutionary. This is just how Apple approaches software. It closes the gap, refine, and add few new major features with each release.

Frankly, I think full-screen mode and resume are as major as Expose, Spotlight, and Time Machine (and to email junkies, new Mail client). And if I try to use Snow Leopard after using Lion, it just feels dated already.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    Quote:

But Lion is only a few weeks away...

Yeah but the stock TANKED 6 bucks a share on this news!

I hope July doesn´t mean August 1st !!!
  • Reply 34 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

A lot of folks will say: No Rosetta, no Lion.

I think the vast majority of shoppers will say "What's Rosetta?" Most Mac users are new to the platform and don't have legacy apps that won't run on Intel without Rosetta.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    njmaxnjmax Posts: 8member
    Is it true that Lion will not have Rosetta to run older applications?
  • Reply 36 of 134
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

I hope July doesn´t mean August 1st !!!

Apple stocks been going down since WWDC. Apparently some people missed the memo that there'd be no new hardware (iPhone or otherwise) there. I'd never consider how the market immediately reacts to any piece of news as an example of sound judgement, assuming of course that this news and the drop in stock price are even related.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

You're new to stocks, aren't you? This has happened after every keynote since Apple started having them. That's how it works. Buy before on speculation, sell on announcement.

You're behaving as though stocks actually mean something other than people being paranoid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by njmax View Post

Is it true that Lion will not have Rosetta to run older applications?

Absolutely. So far. We have zero way of knowing if this will be the case for the final release.

Pro tip: Plan for it.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Lion comes out next month, so it makes sense for Apple to wait a month until they release new models. It's a no brainer. And for anybody complaining about rosetta, get with the times and step into the new century.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Fair enough - makes sense. Not long to go anyway...

Fine for consumers maybe, but for business/government not so much.

Rarely does the professional market jump into a new OS as soon as it is released. Sorting out compatibility problems is just one reason among many that a new OS isn't instantly deployed.

That being said, as popular as OS X based computers are in various professional fields, from a percentage standpoint they are making up a smaller and smaller number of OS X hardware sales. If past history is any indication, this means Apple will start caring about them less and less. If Apple holds hardware back for an OS release and then the professional market cuts back orders for awhile, I doubt Apple cares much.

-kpluck
  • Reply 40 of 134
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1883620]You're new to stocks, aren't you? This has happened after every keynote since Apple started having them. That's how it works. Buy before on speculation, sell on announcement.

You're behaving as though stocks actually mean something other than people being paranoid.

No need to badmouth your fellow posters.........

All I was saying is that announcing news we already know only fans the flame of paranoid traders. I´m sure there´s an options thing going on here anyway. It just gave them an excuse.