Moscone event calendar hints Apple may hold WWDC 2012 June 10-15

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Within days of the 2011 Worldwide Developers Conference wrapping up last week, possible hints that Apple will hold WWDC 2012 from June 10 through June 15 of next year have emerged by way of the Moscone Center event calendar.

A generic "Corporate Meeting" listing for June 2012 on the Moscone Center's event calendar, and discovered by MacRumors, has prompted early speculation on the dates for next year's developer conference. Though the dates remain tentative, Apple has used such generic terms in the past as placeholders for its events. Of course, it should be noted that other companies often use similar tactics for meetings they wish to keep under wraps.

For example, in February, AppleInsider reported that a similar "Corporate Meeting" event scheduled for Sunday, June 5 through Thursday, June 9 was likely reserved for WWDC. The following month, Apple confirmed that the conference would indeed be held during those dates.

The speculation is strengthened by the fact that Moscone West, where the event is historically held, is reserved from June 20 through June 23 and June 27 through June 28. Though the June 27 through June 28 is also listed as a generic "Corporate Meeting," the event appears too short to be WWDC.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs apologized last week for the inadequate size of the Moscone Center, noting that the space is the biggest Apple can find. As both the iOS and Mac platforms have grown, interest in WWDC has as well. This year's event sold out in a record 10 hours.

Last week's WWDC saw a bevy of software-related announcements, including the unveiling of the iCloud service, the first previews of iOS 5 and further details on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. A small analyst survey taken during the conference discovered that 100 percent of responding attendees develop for iOS, while just seven percent develop for Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    How about Moscone North and South?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

How about Moscone North and South?

Moscone North and South are designed as exhibit halls with very little in the way of meeting rooms such as used for WWDC. You can see the floor plans here: http://www.moscone.com/mtgplanners/f...ns/index.shtml

Maybe they will add more meeting space to the older buildings and build a tunnel or bridge to connect Moscone West. Unfortunately, that would take several years if it happens at all.

It looks like WWDC tickets will continue to be scarce.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Other than iOS6 what else will we see in WWDC 2012? Never too early to start speculating
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jwsjws Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Other than iOS6 what else will we see in WWDC 2012? Never to early to start speculating

I grow weary
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Unless they add the I.T. Track back in, I'm not really interested in WWDC anymore. Yes, it's great for developers, and yes I'm aware that's what the "D" in WWDC stands for. But it used to cater to implementors too. You know; the guys who actually enable the developers to develop? But not so much anymore. My biggest benefit from WWDC2011 was the after-hours meetups I had with other Enterprise representatives. Invaluable tips gained through 15 hours days of going to Moscone and then out to the local bars afterwards shouting MCX tips through the club music.

I see Apple's side: It can sell out WWDC in hours, so why shouldn't it concentrate on the coders? But then it should find/create some other venue for the Enterprise people. We matter too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:

Other than iOS6 what else will we see in WWDC 2012? Never to early to start speculating

Maybe they'll finally give me a damn iPhone on damn Sprint so I'm not feeling so damn stuck with a damn Android device, damn it!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

LET THE RUMORS BEGIIIINNN!

*gong*
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

LET THE RUMORS BEGIIIINNN!

*gong*

Quote:

Other than iOS6 what else will we see in WWDC 2012? Never too early to start speculating

Let the overnight queueing up begin! Oh, wait...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Maybe they'll finally give me a damn iPhone on damn Sprint so I'm not feeling so damn stuck with a damn Android device, damn it!

I'll say it again: SPRINT is the only thing stopping you from using a Verizon iPhone on its network. Blame them.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    MacRumors posted this last February and they have the projected dates all the way out to 2015.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/07/...ne-5-9th-2010/