Apple may freeze new Mac introductions until release of Mac OS X Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you're faced with that. much. wrong., there's not much more you can do than refute every point. I did what I could. Some things were right, some things no one can know, but most was just. plain. wrong.

Your valiant efforts against the forces of unreason are noticed and appreciated. We have to fight the kipple, if we don't fight the kipple the kipple wins.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath on that last part unless Apple or someone else makes a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 adaptor.

I don't think it'll be Apple, I think it'll be WD or some similar storage company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? When everyone has Thunderbolt, no one will NEED a USB adapter.

Because there will be people with USB 3.0 drives? They'll probably be cheaper than Thunderport drives and they are available today. Add in the fact that HP is throwing their weight behind USB 3.0 and I think you can count on Best Buy, etc. stocking a lot more USB 3.0 hard drive SKUs than Thunderport SKUs.
  • Reply 63 of 134
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Touch is where it's at. I hardly ever use a mouse anymore and I probably won't ever buy one again for as long as I live. The Magic Trackpad is great, and I would recommend that everybody gets one.

Me too. I'm a heavy iPad 2 user and just ordered my first Magic Trackpad from B&H this morning for use with my Mac Pro and Kensington Turbo Mouse I've been using since 1985.
  • Reply 64 of 134
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good. Now I know who to call on when some old file is needed which was saved with a bad filename like graphic designers used to do in the 90s using option ? character as in 'final'. Impossible to even list the directory using OS X, Windows or UNIX with that character in the filename.

I haven't tried it in OS X, but in Unix you could simply do an 'ls -li' which will allow you to see the inode number of the file and then you a 'find -inum # -exec' to rename the file. Just a thought. I only assume that since OS X is basically a Unix variant that this would work similarly there also.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Me too. I'm a heavy iPad 2 user and just ordered my first Magic Trackpad from B&H this morning for use with my Mac Pro and Kensington Turbo Mouse I've been using since 1985.

I think that you'll like the Magic Trackpad. I have an iPad2 also, and I find that using a Magic Trackpad with a Mac is very similar to using a touch screen. Hopefully you have some rechargeable batteries also, because you do have to change them out if you use the trackpad a lot.
  • Reply 66 of 134
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    double post
  • Reply 67 of 134
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I haven't tried it in OS X, but in Unix you could simply do an 'ls -li' which will allow you to see the inode number of the file and then you a 'find -inum # -exec' to rename the file. Just a thought. I only assume that since OS X is basically a Unix variant that this would work similarly there also.

The problem is that the file is read only since it is on a non ISO CD so you cannot -ls the file or -cp it.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

It'll be a while, especially if we're talking worldwide (currently around 3%) instead of just the US (5%).

You stats seem to be out of date. As of the end of 2010 Apple was already at 9.7% (Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q10 (Thousands of Units)

• Reply 69 of 134
    Sounds, like it would be easier to own 2 macs. I have a 2000 Pismo Powerbook for any older software.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    object-xobject-x Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

A lot of folks will say: No Rosetta, no Lion.

It seems ironic that the only software I own that uses Rosetta is Rosetta Stone language software.
  • Reply 71 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by njmax View Post

"Lion comes out next month, so it makes sense for Apple to wait a month until they release new models. It's a no brainer. And for anybody complaining about rosetta, get with the times and step into the new century."

Well, I would love to "step into the new century", but that can be a challenge when you are on a budget. I would love to buy the latest and greatest of everything, but have to pace my self and my wallet.

I could send a link to ebay so you all you guys can buy a old iMac for under $100 so you can run all your old software.
  • Reply 72 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

Sounds, like it would be easier to own 2 macs. I have a 2000 Pismo Powerbook for any older software.

I have a Pismo too, though it hasn't been working for about 5 years now. The drive died and I haven't bothered to replace it yet. I should probably hurry and get one, because those IDE 2.5" drives aren't very common anymore.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

It seems ironic that the only software I own that uses Rosetta is Rosetta Stone language software.

Ah, that would explain why my Hindi, Japanese, and Irish wouldn't install...

I'm still not in the "Rosetta's good" camp, by the way. Rosetta Stone'll update their software posthaste once Lion comes out, that's for sure. By all of the mall Apple Stores I've ever seen, there has ALWAYS been a Rosetta Stone kiosk in the hall right next to them.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

makes no sense at all. the upgrade is free for new mac purchases. delaying the release of new hardware inconveniences the buyer and is a potential lost sale.

Even with an upgrade being free, it's not likely people will immediately know about it or how to install it. I'd say it's far better to ship them with the latest OS and that way ensure that there's a good base of 6-7 million people on Lion over the next 6 months.

If they upgraded the Macbook Air, Macbook and Mini before Lion, that leaves only the Mac Pro a certainty for an install base for a good 8 months.

I also think the NAND memory has something to do with this. Toshiba won't start mass production until July at the earliest and I don't think it would be a good idea to keep the Air with 64GB on the entry model. It needs to keep progressing in all areas to take over from the MB, even if that doesn't happen at this revision.
  • Reply 75 of 134
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Not sure what one has to do with the other. I would be almost certain (never certain until tested) that the current iWeb will still run on Lion, just would be able to buy it going forward. Of course it hasn't been update for something like 2 years in any case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Oh no, you can install iWeb fine on your Lion machine. The death of iWeb is merely the removal of site hosting (which you cannot avoid as it occurs server-side) and no further updates to iWeb. Your concerns about iWeb's demise should not impede your upgrade to Lion in the slightest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thefinite View Post

iWeb still works in Lion, so there's no reason there to delay upgrading. Also, you can use iWeb to publish to your own host via FTP. It's true Apple won't be updating iWeb anymore, but iDVD has already gone through two iLife cycles without an update and it still works. As long as you don't need MobileMe and publish your site to a new host, you'll be able to use iWeb for at least another few years.

I hope you are all right. Assume as least one of you is a developer and has been testing Lion compatibility on legacy iLife apps. Big relief. Still hope Steve relents and (1) spares iWeb, and (2) allows hosting on iCloud. Just smooths out my work flow.

I have heard others say, "just use Facebook, that's the future of personal web pages." Well, not for me as a college prof. I have all kinds of quizzes, practically an entire book of text, and other stuff that just doesn't work on a Facebook page. Does Steve really think personal websites are dead for ordinary users? There's a lot more to our usage than just social interaction.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Even with an upgrade being free, it's not likely people will immediately know about it or how to install it. I'd say it's far better to ship them with the latest OS and that way ensure that there's a good base of 6-7 million people on Lion over the next 6 months.

I may be cynical but I think a big chunk of this is that they want to be able to show how fast Lion is taken up versus windows 7. Found an old graph from Q1-2010 and take up of 10.6 wasn't that impressive. They want the equivalent graph this time to be more impressive

• Reply 77 of 134
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Unfortunately, I'm one of those 37. I have an HP Color LaserJet 2840 that requires Rosetta. It is a very expensive printer and it would be an absolute shame if it is not supported in Lion.

Drivers for 2840 are included in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 78 of 134
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    To reply to everyone who has quoted me:

If you buy an early 2011 MBP or iMac you may or may not be able to boot it using your old Snow Leopard install. It's possible that you'll have to track down the special Snow Leopard DVD for that particular model in order to get it to work.

If you buy a mid 2011 Mac of any kind it will ONLY boot Lion. Having your old Snow Leopard disk in an external drive won't help you one bit.

USB 3.0 drives are available today from pretty much any place that sells computer peripherals. Prices are only slightly higher than USB 2.0 ones. Thunderbolt peripherals, hmmm, still waiting to see one and expecting it to cost $$$$$.

Intel is supposed to be including USB 3.0 support in their Ivy Bridge chipsets. Thus new Mac models introduced in 2012 should support USB 3.0.
  • Reply 79 of 134
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

You stats seem to be out of date. As of the end of 2010 Apple was already at 9.7% (Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q10 (Thousands of Units)

I could be wrong, but I think he meant overall installed base, not just the quarterly shipment volumes. Like, out of all the computers in use today, how many are Macs.
  • Reply 80 of 134
    Edit: Removed by Christopher126.