Next-gen graphics processor for Apple's iPhone, iPad now being licensed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

How long until Apple releases an AppleTV with an A5 and a game controller? Apple has game developers on board with iOS and turning the ATV into a console should be pretty trivial at this point. As opposed the Sony and MSFT who have heavy-duty consoles that also support TV, this would be great for the casual gamer who doesn't really want a full-blown game console.

I would be not shocked in the least if Apple enabled the aTV2's BT functionality to allow it to pair to the OnLive wireless controller and stream games from that server with iOS 5.

Either way, gaming on aTV is way overdue.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

How long until Apple releases an AppleTV with an A5 and a game controller? Apple has game developers on board with iOS and turning the ATV into a console should be pretty trivial at this point. As opposed the Sony and MSFT who have heavy-duty consoles that also support TV, this would be great for the casual gamer who doesn't really want a full-blown game console.

Only a matter of time....
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Will the iPod Touch get the A5 this fall? I hope so. I also hope Apple makes Garage Band for the iPod Touch this year. It's powerful enough to do it now. The A5 would make it even better.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Will the iPod Touch get the A5 this fall? I hope so. I also hope Apple makes Garage Band for the iPod Touch this year. It's powerful enough to do it now. The A5 would make it even better.

Unlike Apple's other App Store apps I'd be surprised if that became a Universal app soon. The others I could see working in 1/8th the display size for I/O but not GarageBand without some very serious changes. For instance, a 3.5" 4:3 display can barely get the 5 strings on the display so to make it for they'd have to be closer than normal and there would have to be a fast and smile method to bring up changes to location along the strings and other settings that wouldn't get in the way. Drums would have to be shrunken or excluded altogether from pages, maybe a swipe could get you to the other size of the set. Same goes for the piano.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Wonder how it compares to the GPUs in Nvidia's Kal-El line.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

210 GFLOPs??? Is this per core? The 320M present in my 2010 MBP has only 140! The next-gen iPad will have PS3 level graphics at higher resolutions.... Now gimme some AAA titles and I'd ditch my MBP in a second

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMON APPLE MAKE THE A6 A PS3 AND XBOX360 KILLER. PLEASE. You have everything in place. A decent CPU. A better GPU. An App Store and Game Center system in place. Wireless hookup to an AppleTV with 1080p.

PLEASE SAVE US the no longer viable (to me at least) PC gaming ecosystem and PLEASE SAVE US from AN ANCIENT AND AGING CONSOLE DUOPOLY AND EXPENSIVE GAMES.

IT'S SO CLOSE I CAN SMELL THE FLAMES IGNITING THE GAMING INDUSTRY.

If you are in the gaming industry, I'm sorry but as a consumer this is what I really want.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Mobile graphics is completely different from desktop graphics, it's really nothing like it. Add to that that NVidia's desktop GPU architectures have always emphasized their brute force approach to getting high end performance, and you'll understand why they are really trailing not even just Imagination but also Qualcomm (Adreno). Imagination has invested over a decade of expertise in their tile-based deferred rendering approach, and now that mobile graphics performance is getting big, they are reaping the benefits. I don't think NVidia will catch up, even though they are already trying to make everyone believe they will, hyping their Kal-El chip just like they did with Tegra 2.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/05/proj...mobile-gaming/

The video looks pretty impressive to me. And this is an unfinished product.

I think they're catching up.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

CONSOLE DUOPOLY

I don't see why more and more people discount Nintendo when the Wii has sold far more than either of the other two consoles this generation.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

While Kal-El demo is impressive indeed, Nvidia has never publish their TDP numbers for Tegra line of CPU. I think Nvidia is missing the mobile boat right now and got real problem to catch up with the competition.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see why more and more people discount Nintendo when the Wii has sold far more than either of the other two consoles this generation.

Because it's the cheapest, crappest of them too. It's like (forgive the car comparison) a fight between BMW and Audi when some dork comes along and says that Ford sells more cars, thus they RULEZ
  • Reply 31 of 37
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMON APPLE MAKE THE A6 A PS3 AND XBOX360 KILLER. PLEASE. You have everything in place. A decent CPU. A better GPU. An App Store and Game Center system in place. Wireless hookup to an AppleTV with 1080p.

PLEASE SAVE US the no longer viable (to me at least) PC gaming ecosystem and PLEASE SAVE US from AN ANCIENT AND AGING CONSOLE DUOPOLY AND EXPENSIVE GAMES.

IT'S SO CLOSE I CAN SMELL THE FLAMES IGNITING THE GAMING INDUSTRY.

If you are in the gaming industry, I'm sorry but as a consumer this is what I really want.

It'd be SO AWESOME to play Mass Effect 3 on an iPad... :cries:

EDIT: And at 1500p anti-aliasing wouldn't be such a problem!
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Because it's the cheapest, crappest of them too. It's like (forgive the car comparison) a fight between BMW and Audi when some dork comes along and says that Ford sells more cars, thus they RULEZ

So you back up a horribly-researched, subjective argument with a subjective argument. Okay.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I suppose that's a rhetorical question. If any of us knew that, we'd be famous.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

As was stated in the Ars article about it, Nvidia often has these demos that show blazing speed, but when the actual GPU comes out, it's not so blazing.

The problem with these early demos is that the video is handpicked so that it preforms well. You know how some games work better than others with a given GPU? Well, that's what happens here.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

The new Wii U looks interesting, but it's an odd duck, and it may be expensive.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a PS3 + Xbox360 console duopoly of the games *I* want to play. Which happens to be the games a lot of people want to play - the so called "hardcore" gamers, "semi-hardcore", "enthusiast" group or whatever you want to call it.

We're talking COD (all of it), ME2/3, Dirt2/3, Duke Nukem, Brink, Alice, God of War, Mortal Kombat, Assassin's Creed, Need For Speed, Dead Space 1/2, etc. etc. (Some of these are good, some are crap, some may be too "childish" for me... the list is just an indication).
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

It'd be SO AWESOME to play Mass Effect 3 on an iPad... :cries:

EDIT: And at 1500p anti-aliasing wouldn't be such a problem!

It would be awesome to have Mass Effect 3 on an iPad3. With cloud sync to back up your save games so you can go back and play different paths, twitter postings on your latest saucy adventures with aliens and so on.

You could play ME3 during breakfast, sneak in a mission during lunch, then maybe hook it up to a HDTV in the evening... Oh the possibilities!

With the iPad3, imagine MMOs. If people are hooked on Farmville now imagine if they could play WoW or Rift or Star Wars: Old Republic on their iPad3 and hook it up to a big screen whenever they wanted. This would be HUGE. UNBELIEVABLY MASSIVE, in fact.

If not the iPad3, the iPad 4 in 2013 will certainly be Triple-A Title Capable™ with RetinaHD™ resolution.