Facebook app for iPad reportedly coming 'in weeks'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
People familiar with the matter have indicated that Facebook will release an app optimized for the iPad in "coming weeks," while continuing work on an iPad-specific version of its website.

The New York Times reported Thursday that, according to people briefed on Facebook's plans, the social network's iPad app is in the "final stages of testing." The app has been in production for almost a year and should be available within weeks.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has reportedly been "heavily invested" in the process and has overseen design decisions and the app's unique features. Sources who have seen the application said it has a "slick design" specifically tailored for the iPad and its multi-touch interface. In particular, the company's developers have focused on overhauling the Facebook Chat and Facebook Groups features.

iPad 2 users will also be able to shoot and upload photos and videos directly from the built-in cameras. ?The photo and video experience is amazing, offering full resolution and full-screen images,? said a person who has seen the app.

Facebook declined to comment on the rumored app, though it did reiterate that it maintains "a great relationship" with Apple, as exemplified by the iPhone application, which launched alongside Apple's App Store in 2008.

According to the company, 250 million of Facebook's 700 million worldwide users access the service on a mobile device. Meanwhile, Apple has sold more than 25 million iPads since its initial release last year. Apple plans to help Facebook promote the forthcoming iPad app by "featuring it prominently" in the App Store, said a person familiar with plans for the app.

Sources also confirmed that Facebook is working on an improved iPad version of its website, but specific timing of the update remained unclear. The tipster did, however, emphasize that an upgraded website was meant to supplement the iPad and iPhone app experiences, rather than competing with them.

Rumors swirled on Wednesday that Facebook is hard at work on an HTML5 platform meant to "break the stranglehold" that Apple has on mobile app distribution. The company has reportedly lined up 80 developers on a secretive project that would help Facebook to retain control while still reaching the more than 200 million iOS devices Apple has sold.

The two companies have differed at times; for example, Apple was unable to agree to Facebook's terms for integration of Apple's Ping social music discovery service with its own social network. But, last year Apple CEO Steve Jobs was reported to have invited Zuckerberg over for dinner to discuss the issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    yet another poorly written AI "article" on a topic that has very little relevance. oooh. jobs and zuck hd dinner. ooooh.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    I'm wondering what experience others have on FB on their Mac. Mine is that scrolling through their pages seems to make my macbook pro run quite warm. It obviously isn't a flash issue. Anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Geez Facebook, way to be cutting edge and come out with an iPad version more than a year later.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I am not a Facebook user (and will likely never be one), Zuckerberg is the guy I would have mobbed in high-school, and all this "social" crap (not saying that being social is crap, rather that none of this shite has anything to do with "social", except for the few cases where remote family members or friends use it as an affordable means of communication, taking the risk of having private issues made public and un-ersasable) is making me even more tired than usual.

Still: I am having a bit of a hard time putting together these mixed signals. On one side we heard rumors, that Facebook is investing big in building up a HTML based alternative to the AppStore to stay free from Apple's control. On the other side, they now embrace Apple's model and finally bring out an iPad app (a topic they have avoided forever, even calling the iPad "not a mobile device" since the developer of the, well-received, iPhone app threw in the towel over disagreements with the approval process)?

What is this? Corporate incontinence? At least one of these rumors being totally off track? I simply can't figure it out.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Geez Facebook, way to be cutting edge and come out with an iPad version more than a year later.

Admittedly they did spend a lot of time working on the appropriate multi-touch gesture for "I consent to all of my personal information and the personal information of all of the contacts in my address book being instantaneously and irreversibly uploaded onto the internet".

They were going to go with flipping the bird at the screen until Zuckerburg realised nails are not sufficiently conductive to operate a capacitive display.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I'm kinda getting tired of FB's lack of features on iOS. Obviously they're flexing some muscle in an attempt to dismiss Apple's influence on FB.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    who cares?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 9 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    No need. Remember "iPad isn't mobile".
  • Reply 10 of 29
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    about time
  • Reply 11 of 29
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

What features do you see in FaceBook for Android or the Web that you don't see in iOS?

You need to look at the Windows Phone 7 intergration. FB an Microsoft seem to be best buddies these days.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    How long will it be before Facebook produces its own phone? It would be the ultimate internet control device for Facebook.

I would think that Facebook would be cozying up to Google because of the Chromebook. The Chromebook is totally about the internet and apps. It just screams Facebook generation.

If Apple and Samsung can work together while at the same time they're suing each other, then Facebook and Google could probably make some kind of deal for Facebook to be prominent in the Chromebook.

I'm looking forward to buying the next version of the iPod Touch. I need a mobile device to observe my web sites in mobile format. Will Facebook be taking over that device the way they take over browser data as soon as you click the like button on any page with a Facebook like icon?

Who is more evil, Google or Facebook? If they ever merge will the anti-christ appear?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    What i REALLY want is SKYPE FOR IPAD!!!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How long will it be before Facebook produces its own phone? It would be the ultimate internet control device for Facebook.

You gotta think bigger: How long till Facebook buys the internet, and renames the Internet to Facebook?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

You gotta think bigger: How long till Facebook buys the internet, and renames the Internet to Facebook?

That is hilarious, yet deeply disturbing at the same time.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Shouldn't they fix the iPhone app first?

Haven't been able to upload a picture in months.

Mind you - their entire site is creaking under its own weight - zuckerberk ought to be spending his billions on making a site that works before someone like google replaces it!
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Journojulz View Post

Shouldn't they fix the iPhone app first?

Haven't been able to upload a picture in months.

Mind you - their entire site is creaking under its own weight - zuckerberk ought to be spending his billions on making a site that works before someone like google replaces it!

I can upload pictures just fine with my iPod. Have you tried restarting your phone? If that doesn't work just delete the app and redownload it. It doesn't store any data locally except a small cache.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Zuckerburg probably sees that since Gates has stepped down.

Jobs is looking like he needs to step down soon.

Ellison has never been on top anyway.

Bezos would want to remind people that he is the heir apparent (not).

All the Google guys just want to be left alone.

Ballmer probably stands in front of his mirror and reminds himself, "I am CEO, I am CEO."

The Chinese guys, (well, I don't talk chinese).

That is what Zuck has his eyes on.

He wants to be The Man.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    deleted
  • Reply 20 of 29
    deleted