Photos show major renovations in progress at Apple's Fifth Ave store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Since it's already a deep hole, maybe they could connect it up to some subway lines and let the 5th Ave. store have it's own station. Steve Jobs Plaza. Riders get off and they have to make their way through aisles of Apple products before they can reach the street. A lot of people might find it hard to resist buying at least one item. Great idea. I'm zipping off an email to Cupertino.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The Fifth Ave store is the most profitable out of them all.

Actually, I think it got eclipsed by the new store in China, but that one is even more impressive with the curved glass cylinder, at least IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Good to see Steve making buildings as fragile as his phones.

Maybe the iphone 5 will have the sides made of glass too so its even more prone to shattering.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    deleted
  • Reply 25 of 41
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

You know, this whole "all glass" architecture is pretty remarkable and attractive and all... until an earthquake of decent magnitude hits New York. Then I bet the resulting damage and injuries will change people's minds real quick-like! \

More worrying are the nearby high-rises. But such glass is usually built from tempered glass that shatters into small smooth-edged pieces, just like the glass in your car's windshield.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

You know, this whole "all glass" architecture is pretty remarkable and attractive and all... until an earthquake of decent magnitude hits New York. Then I bet the resulting damage and injuries will change people's minds real quick-like! \

Oh, I don't know. When you look up from within the beautiful glass cube and see several hundred tonnes of concrete building bearing down on you you probably won't worry about the glass.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

More worrying are the nearby high-rises. But such glass is usually built from tempered glass that shatters into small smooth-edged pieces, just like the glass in your car's windshield.

Automotive windshield glass is made of two panes of glass with a polymer layer sandwiched in-between. It is not tempered, but laminated. Its purpose is to do the exact opposite to keep the occupants from being ejected out of the car in a crash and to also resist outside projectiles from entering and killing those same occupants. The glass will crack, but not break into pieces.

The tempered glass you are referring to is actually used for the car's side and rear windows. That will shatter into those thousands of pieces, just like the glass doors in most Apple stores which makes them easy targets for iThieves.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kame View Post

Can we have something more iconic in San Francisco where it's actually where WWDC and other Apple events are often held?

Cupertino's getting a circular building larger than the Pentagon. That's your icon.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Since it's already a deep hole, maybe they could connect it up to some subway lines and let the 5th Ave. store have it's own station. Steve Jobs Plaza. Riders get off and they have to make their way through aisles of Apple products before they can reach the street. A lot of people might find it hard to resist buying at least one item. Great idea. I'm zipping off an email to Cupertino.

Fifth Avenue doesn't have a subway line.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

I would love to know to what extent having this flashy architecture at their stores results in higher revenue, justifying the expense?

If you want a totally practical store, shop at Costco, BJs, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. The flashy architecture makes the Apple stores destinations for both locals and tourists. Apple stores, especially the non-mall stores, generally have the highest grosses per square foot in retail, even luxury retail. The 5th Avenue store is open 24 hours a day. Do you really thing they would get the same attention and traffic if they were just "ordinary" stores? Do you think Bang & Olufsen stores, BOSE stores, AT&T stores or Gateway stores get or got the kind of traffic that Apple gets? No. Because those stores never became destination stores.

Apple weathered the recession better than any other company. And once the recession started, Apple was predicted to be an especially big loser because their products are perceived (whether true or not) as being higher priced than the competition. I'm a fan of Apple but even I thought their entry into retail would fail. (Obviously, I was wrong.)

Apple is successful in large measure because of the stores. To challenge the flashy architecture is typical of the lack of vision associated with most bottom-line oriented executives. Do you really want Apple stores to look like Radio Shack?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Fifth Avenue doesn't have a subway line.

Actually it does. The R train goes across 59th street. There's a 5th Avenue station with several entrances: one on Central Park South (59th street) and one on the corner of 5th Avenue and 60th (I think). The Apple Store is on 5th Avenue between 58th and 59th street. The train tracks actually cut through the middle of the block between 59th and 60th street, but there's probably no way to connect the store to the station directly. They would have to dig a tunnel heading northward on 5th Avenue.

But as Steve Jobs stated in the community board meeting about the new Apple headquarters, he believes that since Apple pays taxes, that the local government should take care of general services, so I doubt he would ever be in favor of Apple taking over a subway station (although they did renovate a station adjacent to an Apple store outside of Chicago, right?)
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, New York has plenty to worry about when it comes to earthquakes. Due to the sparseness of earthquakes on the east coast many of the older buildings in NYC aren't even close to being safe. The type of major earthquake that hits NYC every hundred years or so is small by west coast standards, 5 on the scale, but could still do some very major damage. NYC is usually hit by several smaller quakes during that hundred year gap. Right now they are due for a larger quake.

They may not worry about it... but...

The skyscrapers in New York are built to sway and are built on very strong bedrock. So my understanding is that New York could survive an earthquake quite well. The biggest danger probably is glass panes falling off of modern buildings and very old tenements that are only still standing because they're leaning on the adjacent building.

There was an earthquake in New York City sometime around 1988. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I saw my walls swaying. There was no rumbling. I thought I was hallucinating, so I went back to sleep. The next morning, someone asked me if I felt the earthquake. There was absolutely no damage anywhere in the City, although it obviously wasn't a big quake.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    According to my sources, the renovations have very little to do with the cube. They are mainly removing it to protect it.

The bulk, if not all the changes are to the plaza ground plus some piping that needs to be refitted for internal remodeling (and due to some leaks).
  • Reply 34 of 41
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cupertino's getting a circular building larger than the Pentagon. That's your icon.

By bigger you mean smaller. The Pentagon is 6.5mil Sq Ft, of which 3.7mil Sq Ft is offices. It's much much bigger in terms of area and occupancy than the Apple main building will be, or indeed probably the entire campus.

It was until recently the largest building by floor space in the USA, and depending on how many super secret sub-basements it has, who knows it may still be
  • Reply 35 of 41
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Good to see Steve making buildings as fragile as his phones.

Maybe the iphone 5 will have the sides made of glass too so its even more prone to shattering.

cute.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    It really doesn't matter, because the arrival of Android Jelly-Bean will make it all passé. Remember, as an Apple Store, it will always be closed, and walled like a garden.

Cheers
  • Reply 37 of 41
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    [QUOTE=Kame;1883725]Can we have something more iconic in San Francisco where it's actually where WWDC and other Apple events are often held?

its coming to cupertino instead... WWDC will be held at the NEW mothership. Steve's not that hot on Moscone... But I have to agree the Apple store on Stockton needs a upgrade. Actually its the feral BART station that makes this area a dump for panhandlers and gawky tourists....
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

It really doesn't matter, because the arrival of Android Jelly-Bean will make it all passé. Remember, as an Apple Store, it will always be closed, and walled like a garden.

Cheers

So you exist to be a troll. Great.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    They didn't install the glass cube to see increased returns on investment from the flashy structure. They installed it because it was challenging to build, and they wanted to push architecture forward.

It doesn't help sales, but it does look good downtown and adds beauty. Apple has learned that if you do things right, in the long run you'll profit by not worrying about every little piece of thing that you make being about making more money? this is something we can all learn, it's the reason Microsoft, Dell, IBM, HP, and other companies are worth less, they haven't learned to

"follow there heart, instead of showing a return on investment every quarter"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

I would love to know to what extent having this flashy architecture at their stores results in higher revenue, justifying the expense?

• Reply 40 of 41
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

They didn't install the glass cube to see increased returns on investment from the flashy structure. They installed it because it was challenging to build, and they wanted to push architecture forward.

You can go even deeper. Apple didn't build ANY of the retail stores for some sort of nebulous "increased return on investment". Steve built over 300 retail stores so us customers could have a GREAT experience, because Steve loves his users so much.

So if Steve didn't even build that store to make money, then he certainly didn't build the glass cube to make money.

Instead, he wanted to advance the field of architecture out of his love for us.