Apple reveals Mac OS X Lion, Server prices for business and education

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Do business still expect volume discount even the original price is @ only $29.99?
  • Reply 22 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Do business still expect volume discount even the original price is @ only $29.99?

Yes. Businesses are so used to "We are buying a ton of these so you should give us a discount, and you should always treat us better than the regular Joe at your shops". Not only that, these businesses will want terms ie. not have to pay upfront. If you are a business owner, this is how you would normally act.

Not necessarily saying it's wrong or anything.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I have always loved AI but I am disturbed at how this article seems to be a slightly altered version of the one on Mac Rumors and very poorly written at that. I was very confused when I read it here. Then when I read it on Mac Rumors, it all made sense.

It is obvious that they tried to modify the original by rephrasing certain sentences. But, in doing so, it often changed the meaning of what was being said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Inside

For business customers, Apple's online Business Store will offer volume licenses at the same $29.99 price in a minimum quantity of 20 licenses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Rumors

Apple will offer business customers volume license contracts for $29.99 per license, with a minimum of 20 licenses.

• Reply 24 of 47
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Okay then. I have two Xserves running Leopard Server. How do I upgrade them to Lion Server? Do I really have to buy and install SL Server for $300 and then install Lion and then install Lion Server?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    revilrerevilre Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Okay then. I have two Xserves running Leopard Server. How do I upgrade them to Lion Server? Do I really have to buy and install SL Server for $300 and then install Lion and then install Lion Server?

If you can install Snow Leopard (non-server) on it you can then install Lion and Lion Server. I dunno if Snow Leopard client supports the xserve hardware but I suspect it does.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Simple answer: Go read the well written Mac Rumors article...

From everything I've read so far, yes to upgrade seamlessly you must first upgrade to Snow Leopard Server and then to Lion Server. This is because you can't migrate a Server user profile to non-server. If you want to be more creative... just install Snow Leopard non-server (don't migrate) and then upgrade to Lion and THEN install Lion's server tools.

You might even then be able to go back and use migration assistant to then pull the Leopard profile... but from experience that often causes file ownership/permission problems...
  • Reply 27 of 47
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I read that as 'you have to have Snow Leopard Server to get Lion Server' because they didn't give any instructions on what to do when upgrading from Snow Leopard Client

the same damn thing as when you're upgrading from lion client. $29.99 lion + $49.99 server.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Nice Breaking news that was lifted from MacRumors without attribution.

Apple has not published this document anywhere public.

The MacRumors article begins with "Apple today released a PDF documenting (PDF link) how large business and educational customers with many Macs will upgrade to Lion via the Mac App Store."
  • Reply 29 of 47
    If my business had 9 employees what would I do? Accept i have to shell out for 20 licenses or manage 2 'work' iTunes apple iDs across those computers? Could get complicated with future store purchases.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Can anyone say how it runs on the specifications that they've said it needs?
  • Reply 31 of 47
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    I'm still running Leopard (10.5.8), are they saying I have to pay to upgrade to SL and pay again to upgrade to Lion???
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Is there some mechanism to prevent a user with an Apple ID who has purchased Lion from wandering to all of his friends, logging in with his Apple ID, downloading and installing Lion, which is already paid for, and then logging out?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

I'm still running Leopard (10.5.8), are they saying I have to pay to upgrade to SL and pay again to upgrade to Lion???

Yep. Apple's site has said this for a good while.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post
    Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on ?Mac OS X Lion? installer and choose the option to ?Show Package Contents.?

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the ?InstallESD.dmg.? This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Copy ?InstallESD.dmg? to another folder like the Desktop.

Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

Select the copied ?InstallESD.dmg? as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

Source

I hope the change the installer to allow a bootable backup to DVD or USB to be created from within the installer. While it's easy to do for us on these boards it's not something I would want to walk the average person through.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Why are you still running Leopard? Is your make even C2D or newer Why are you balking at $60?

If you are really trying to get out of $30 you can always get Lion from another source (meaning: not from the Mac App Store which is part of Snow Leopard) and then install Lion.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes. Businesses are so used to "We are buying a ton of these so you should give us a discount, and you should always treat us better than the regular Joe at your shops". Not only that, these businesses will want terms ie. not have to pay upfront. If you are a business owner, this is how you would normally act.

Not necessarily saying it's wrong or anything.

its not an IT thing, everything works by volume...go to the store and buy 1lb of rice for $1, buy 250LB sack at a bulk store fro $150...

as to teh "treated better than joe" thing, I can answer that in the MS world - On top of licensing, companies pay for large scale upgrade and service agreements - and consumers would rather buy a $500 laptop with no or limited support than a $650 laptop with great professional support.

as for terms - most software is bought on net 30 purchase orders with vendors - the vendor sends the company one bill at the end of the month rather than one per transaction, and one check is written for all of them. It cuts costs for both parties. The exception is MS where the volume licensing is paid for UP FRONT - and a true up payment is done at the end of the term for software installed during that year that wasn't in the original contract... Business software licensing isnt a picnic.

you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

if you were buying 1000, 5000 or even 10,000 of something wouldn't you want a bulk discount?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

if you were buying 1000, 5000 or even 10,000 of something wouldn't you want a bulk discount?

Want? Not really. Expect? Certainly not. Find pleasant if offered? Sure.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Great artists steal!!!! LOL!!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 47
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I generally view VL for software as compensation for the scenario where software gets installed on more workstations then it's actually getting used on regularly. That makes sense for applications, but not for an OS.

I suspect however that this is largely a technical limitation of the app store distribution channel. I suppose there are still ways of accomplishing VL discounts, promo codes or a seperate discounted product download... I don't know of any App Store apps affecting that scenario though.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peter5nine View Post

The MacRumors article begins with "Apple today released a PDF documenting (PDF link) how large business and educational customers with many Macs will upgrade to Lion via the Mac App Store."

That's true though. Apple didn't publish it as AI says. They just grabbed the PDF from MacRumors and I guess assumed it was on their site somewhere. (It isn't).