New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The New York Post has setup a new paywall targeting mobile Safari users on Apple's iPad and directing them to download the publication's app through the App Store.

Content on the website for the New York Post is no longer available to iPad users outside of the publication's official App Store app, paid Content reported Saturday. Navigating to the NYpost.com site in Safari on the iPad results in a landing page directing prospective readers to the App Store. Previously, the site displayed an interstitial ad promoting the app before allowing users to continue on to the website.

Links from the Post's own Facebook page visited also result in the landing page for iPad users on Safari. Meanwhile, the website appears to still be enabled for users of other iPad browsers, such as Skyfire or Opera Mini.

"Thanks for coming. NYPost.com editorial content is now only accessible on the iPad through the New York Post App," the landing page reads. The page goes on to encourage current subscribers to download the app, where they can access the website through the the Index feature.

Subscriptions through the app run $6.99 per month, $39.99 for six months or $79.99 for the year, with no option for single-issue digital purchases.

While the Post is by no means the first major outlet to enact payrolls for its content, the decision has quickly drawn criticism specifically "blocking the web for a subset of users." "This is breaking the web," wrote blogger Dave Winer.

Apple unveiled the in-app subscriptions feature for iOS earlier this year, drawing heavy criticism for rules that were deemed anticompetitive. Last week, Apple backed down on a rule that required in-app prices to be "at the same price or less" than those offered outside the app.

Despite initial hesitation, a number of big name publishers and publications have begun offering in-app subscriptions. Bloomberg Businessweek was one of the first magazines to initiate in-app subscriptions, saying it was "pleased with Apple's terms" and remained focused on the iPad as "the most important place to be right now."

Condé Nast, which publishes titles such as The New Yorker, Wired and GQ, began offering in-app subscriptions in May, while Hearst has promised that three of its magazines will add support for in-app subscriptions starting by July: Esquire, Popular Mechanics, and O, The Oprah Magazine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    Not surprising. I love this paper, but it run and managed by complete fools and buffoons. A retarded quadraplegic monkey with no eyes could run a newspaper better than these fools. I should know. I had the hauling contract and the delivery contract to deliver this paper. Complete incompetent fools.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    so use firefox or Opera or crome, or...
  • Reply 3 of 131
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    How many of those browsers run on the iPad?

You did read the original article and note that this was about iPad web browsing, yes?
  • Reply 4 of 131
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

How many of those browsers run on the iPad?

You did read the original article and note that this was about iPad web browsing, yes?

Did YOU read the article?

Quote:

the website appears to still be enabled for users of other iPad browsers, such as Skyfire or Opera Mini.

• Reply 5 of 131
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    New York Post? The National Enquirer of world events? No loss.
  • Reply 6 of 131
    Subscriptions through the app run $6.99 per month, $39.99 for six months or $79.99 for the year, with no option for single-issue digital purchases.

Fail
  • Reply 7 of 131
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Another way for me to *not* read the New York Post?

Where will I go, what will become of me?

It is pretty sleazy. This move, I mean. Since there are many who would say that about the New York Post from stem to stern, this is no big surprise.
  • Reply 8 of 131
    gromitgromit Posts: 37member
    No great loss.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    cvades doesn't know that other browsers run on ipad
  • Reply 10 of 131
    Wow you mean that I might have to use an online proxy.. or my computer, or my iPhone... or other browsers, oh wait.. it's the New York Post.

They don't want me to read the way I want, then I guess that means it's a good thing that I don't want to read their rag.

Maybe Apple should disable the New York Post App from accessing the New York Post network sites, then everyone will be blocked.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Really lame, show the landing Page but let me close it and go to the full web site.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I checked on five browsers I have on my iPad, not opera or chrome, but those that I have pulled up nypost just fine for now. Safari didn't as AI article says.

Man... Post had article that Clarence Clemons, sax player of Bruce Springstein's E-Street Band, passed away from his stroke... RIP Clarence!
  • Reply 13 of 131
    Isn't this exactly the sort of stuff that should be disallowed?

Singling out one set of users for exclusion from content.

I'm fine with them putting up pay walls for everyone but to single out one device/browser hardly seems right.

It won't effect me but I hope this is not a slippery slope.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wigglesworth View Post

cvades doesn't know that other browsers run on ipad

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
  • Reply 15 of 131
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wookie01 View Post

Isn't this exactly the sort of stuff that should be disallowed?

It won't effect me but I hope this is not a slippery slope.

If it becomes common place Apple could just provide a way to let you spoof your browser identification as a desktop safari. They could even let you maintain an auto-spoof list of which sites you wanted to lie to about your browser.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Okay Mystic, Rot'nApple, Wigglesworth, I'm not finding the Firefox browser nor "crome" (sic) in the App Store. Oh, and Google Chrome doesn't show up either. I know that Opera is available, however that's one of three, not a good percentage.

Now I have no interest in jailbreaking my iPad, so let us know where we can find Firefox and Chrome for iPad in the App Store.

Or stop trolling, which incidentally violates the terms and conditions of use of AppleInsider.com.

Thank you.
  • Reply 17 of 131
    jsdjsd Posts: 1member
    I don't read Murdoch papers, so I couldn't care less about this (actually, fewer people reading his publications is a good thing). But I just tried this on my iPad -- www.nypost.com does indeed redirect to "download the app", but m.nypost.com works just fine. An oversight, I assume, that they will correct when they notice it.
  • Reply 18 of 131
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Pay for the New York Post? What's next? Paying to have the toilets in your home flow backwards?
  • Reply 19 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Okay Mystic, Rot'nApple, Wigglesworth, I'm not finding the Firefox browser nor "crome" (sic) in the App Store. Oh, and Google Chrome doesn't show up either. I know that Opera is available, however that's one of three, not a good percentage.

Yep, you are right and they are wrong, I don't know why they were busting your balls, because they don't know what they are talking about. There are plenty of browsers available for iPad, but there is no Firefox and there is no Chrome.
  • Reply 20 of 131
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Lets see, blocking the ipad with safari and nothing else. Oh THIS is a good idea. idiots. I don't own an iPad, but then again, I don't read the Post either, so no great loss. Hmmm, wonder if blocking one device and one browser is even legal.