New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Okay Mystic, Rot'nApple, Wigglesworth, I'm not finding the Firefox browser nor "crome" (sic) in the App Store. Oh, and Google Chrome doesn't show up either. I know that Opera is available, however that's one of three, not a good percentage.

Now I have no interest in jailbreaking my iPad, so let us know where we can find Firefox and Chrome for iPad in the App Store.

Or stop trolling, which incidentally violates the terms and conditions of use of AppleInsider.com.

Thank you.

You were technically correct on specific pieces of information, but still, the spirit of the conversation is that you can try other browsers, which is also true, without jailbreaking too.

Not sure why Rot'nApple is in your list there, he noted that Chrome and Firefox wasn't available, basically agreeing with you on the very facts you were contesting. Wigglesworth was also being factually correct too, there are other browsers, even if those named by other people aren't available on a stock iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 131
    Interestingly, you can still access the site with Safari on the iPhone. I guess that their app is an iPad-only app.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Actually, the initial point was that there are multiple browsers available for Apple devices to view this content.

They never said that only Firefox and Chrome would do it.

Hence the word 'OR'.
  • Reply 24 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This won't last long, I give it 3 weeks.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Seriously? Weiner's rise and fall?
  • Reply 26 of 131
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If you have part of your site behind a paywall,. a paid app or IAP is one great way to let people buy that content.

To charge for stuff that you can get for free on your laptop? No. The ?wall" should be in the same place for everyone.

(Hulu does something similar. But I know they have content owners to deal with.)
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Yeah, it's that kind of rag. It hardly seems worth the discussion. All this might just be an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You were technically correct on specific pieces of information, but still, the spirit of the conversation is that you can try other browsers, which is also true, without jailbreaking too.

Not sure why Rot'nApple is in your list there, he noted that Chrome and Firefox wasn't available, basically agreeing with you on the very facts you were contesting. Wigglesworth was also being factually correct too, there are other browsers, even if those named by other people aren't available on a stock iPad.

Oh, I was well aware that other iPad browsers work.

If I am to be corrected, at least I'd like my detractors to use examples that are actually valid. If you permit trollers to mindlessly respond with incorrect examples, you dilute the quality/integrity of this forum.

Do as you wish. It's your domain.

I'm just trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Sure, why not? Publishers and newspapers are having a field day with this scandal. It's not their fault that a lying politician named Weiner decided to send pictures of his weiner to all sorts of women on the internet.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Oh, I was well aware that other iPad browsers work.

If I am to be corrected, at least I'd like my detractors to use examples that are actually valid. If you permit trollers to mindlessly respond with incorrect examples, you dilute the quality/integrity of this forum.

Do as you wish. It's your domain.

I'm just trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here.

I understand the sentiment. Still, I'm not seeing where anyone "corrected" you by repeating that Firefox and Chrome were available on iPad. I can see how you might read them into those comments, but I didn't see that when I read them. I think this is more a big misunderstanding than active trolling.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If you have part of your site behind a paywall,. a paid app or IAP is one great way to let people buy that content.

To charge for stuff that you can get for free on your laptop? No. The ?wall" should be in the same place for everyone.

(Hulu does something similar. But I know they have content owners to deal with.)

A newspaper isn't a content owner?

And it's odd how few people complained when the US TV networks blocked GoogleTV from displaying their content, but god forbid a newspaper should do it to iPad users.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

And it's odd how few people complained when the US TV networks blocked GoogleTV from displaying their content, but god forbid a newspaper should do it to iPad users.

Maybe we'd see more complaints if GoogleTV was successful.

I recall that the TV network content wasn't discriminating against just one company, they blocked other TV set-top box makers from doing the same thing, Boxee is another one they try to block, I think there others too. A parallel for NYP would be if they blocked every tablet.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    NY post failing utterly to survive in 3...2...1...

later morons. no one cares anyways.

happy phailing!

• Reply 34 of 131
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    To call the NY Post a newspaper is like calling Fox New, news.

Last year they were giving the paper away for free and people were walking away.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Atomic Web Browser for iPad.

Set to spoof desktop browser. Also, adblock included!

'Nuff said.

Moving on...
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Maybe for 99 cents per month, but even that's a stretch.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

To call the NY Post a newspaper is like calling Fox New, news.

Like it or not, the New York Post is most certainly a newspaper and Fox News is most certainly a news station. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased news source and Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source. That includes much of the mainstream media and even news sources like the BBC, which some people incorrectly label as being unbiased. Everybody has their agenda, and that also includes certain comedy channels.

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Like it or not, the New York Post is most certainly a newspaper and Fox News is most certainly a news station. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased news source and Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source. That includes much of the mainstream media and even news sources like the BBC, which some people incorrectly label as being unbiased. Everybody has their agenda, and that also includes certain comedy channels.

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

If by "leftist propaganda" you mean the truth supported by facts.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think i just threw up in my mouth...

A lot of mainstream media is slanted and biased, but Murdoch and co take it to the extreme. Much of the content on Fox News is ignorant, divisive, xenophobic, morally righteous bullshit...
  • Reply 40 of 131
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    How tragic... now less people will be able to read their garbage.