New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Like it or not, the New York Post is most certainly a newspaper and Fox News is most certainly a news station. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased news source and Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source. That includes much of the mainstream media and even news sources like the BBC, which some people incorrectly label as being unbiased. Everybody has their agenda, and that also includes certain comedy channels.

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

If any news source resembles a propaganda machine it's fox news. They pioneered and perfected that whole pundit newsertainment with an agenda schtick. Roger Ailes is a genius. But not the good kind.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    Sorry - off topic but store is down. Odd for a sunday?
  • Reply 43 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

• Reply 44 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybumps View Post

Sorry - off topic but store is down. Odd for a sunday?

It's weird. It's usually some re-jig of something or other, I would be surprised if there are new products.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    Just checked out NYP on my iPad and noticed that there was a slight delay in the redirect.

Well, what do you know, they are using javascript for browser detection and redirection. Simply turn off javascript in the Safari settings to get around it.

Amateurs. :P
  • Reply 46 of 131
    New York Post? Trash for semi-illiterates.

Though have to give it to them for their "Weiner Pulls Out" headline.

Ignorance can be fun in small doses.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Okay Mystic, Rot'nApple, Wigglesworth, I'm not finding the Firefox browser nor "crome" (sic) in the App Store. Oh, and Google Chrome doesn't show up either. I know that Opera is available, however that's one of three, not a good percentage.

Now I have no interest in jailbreaking my iPad, so let us know where we can find Firefox and Chrome for iPad in the App Store.

Or stop trolling, which incidentally violates the terms and conditions of use of AppleInsider.com.

Thank you.

'stop trolling'... How about start comprehending what you read?! And I qoute... From my post... "I checked on five browsers I have on my iPad, not opera or chrome, but those that I have"

I didn't say you'd find Firefox or Chrome in the app store. Nor did I claim at any time that they were available. I merely pointed out that the browsers I do have, for now, are not blocked from pulling up website in question is all. Jeez!
  • Reply 48 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I think i just threw up in my mouth...

A lot of mainstream media is slanted and biased, but Murdoch and co take it to the extreme. Much of the content on Fox News is ignorant, divisive, xenophobic, morally righteous bullshit...

Yes, thank God for the unbiased Ed and factually balanced Rachel. Where would we get real news if not for the MSNBC talking heads?
  • Reply 49 of 131
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsd View Post

I don't read Murdoch papers, so I couldn't care less about this (actually, fewer people reading his publications is a good thing). But I just tried this on my iPad -- www.nypost.com does indeed redirect to "download the app", but m.nypost.com works just fine. An oversight, I assume, that they will correct when they notice it.

That is very perceptive of you. And for a first post, I am looking forward to your next post, as this one is informative.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    whytoiwhytoi Posts: 43member
    Pay for view of NYT I can understand, but for New York Post? Mad?
  • Reply 51 of 131
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Oh, I was well aware that other iPad browsers work.

If I am to be corrected, at least I'd like my detractors to use examples that are actually valid. If you permit trollers to mindlessly respond with incorrect examples, you dilute the quality/integrity of this forum.

Do as you wish. It's your domain.

I'm just trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here.

If you are aware that other iPad browsers work then why do they need to be listed? Your first sentence basically makes your second sentence irrelevant!

The only "noise" I hear is coming from you and your mischaracterization of what I posted!

You want examples?... Atomic Web, iLunascape, Sleipnir, Offline Pages, and Browser... Those are the five browsers on my iPad that I tested before I posted. I'm not sure of all the 540 that the app store pulled up when I typed in "Browser" in the search field.

My favorite quote from the 'Pearl Harbor' movie, "Tora, Tora, Tora"... "You want confirmation? (as the attack is in progress)... There's your confirmation!".
  • Reply 52 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

To call the NY Post a newspaper is like calling Fox New, news.

Last year they were giving the paper away for free and people were walking away.

Keep in mind that the NY Post and FOX News are both owned by Rupert Murdoch.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, thank God for the unbiased Ed and factually balanced Rachel. Where would we get real news if not for the MSNBC talking heads?

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    Who cares? There's so many news and information sites that aren't so greedy that it's no real loss. For those who really "must" have this rag, get Puffin or some other web relay site. Then you can get Flash, too.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    As bad as NY Post is, I want to highlight one good thing. Their iPad subscription price is about half of the home delivery price. So at least they're offering it at a competitive price. It really disgusts me when companies are charging MORE for the online version than the print version.

Not that I'd subscribe to the Post either way, though.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As bad as NY Post is, I want to highlight one good thing. Their iPad subscription price is about half of the home delivery price. So at least they're offering it at a competitive price. It really disgusts me when companies are charging MORE for the online version than the print version.

Not that I'd subscribe to the Post either way, though.

I noticed that, too. They have the pricing right.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe we'd see more complaints if GoogleTV was successful.

I recall that the TV network content wasn't discriminating against just one company, they blocked other TV set-top box makers from doing the same thing, Boxee is another one they try to block, I think there others too. A parallel for NYP would be if they blocked every tablet.

Is the point that they're blocking it only on the iPad, or is the point that they're blocking any devices?
  • Reply 58 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.

Unfortunately that represents a population of over 75 million to draw from. Fortunately, most can't read.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Who cares? There's so many news and information sites that aren't so greedy that it's no real loss. For those who really "must" have this rag, get Puffin or some other web relay site. Then you can get Flash, too.

We all should. Most original news sources come from a relatively small number of major news agencies like Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press, to name a few.*

And unless the customers, i.e., the mass media, are viable, they too will decline; and the bent will continue to become more hard core and lean more towards highest payer.

I would suggest that the days of any true 'free', if there were any content as we knew just a few years ago via the internet, are going fast. Copy & Paste are becoming the norm. And most of it is just plain FUD

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_agency
  • Reply 59 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Unfortunately that represents a population of over 75 million to draw from. Fortunately, most can't read.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

We all should. Most original news sources come from a relatively small number of major news agencies like Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press, to name a few.*

And unless they have the mass media are viable, they too will decline and the bent will continue to become more hard core and lean more to to highest payer.

I would suggest that the days of any true 'free', if there were any content as we knew just a few years ago, are going quickly. Copy & Paste are becoming the norm. And much of it is just plain FUD

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_agency
  • Reply 60 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't like MSNBC and I don't like Fox News, I loathe them both. They're both bad bad punditry, and they do seem to be equally ideologically driven, and frankly, bad politics, really pushing the boundaries of civility. They're more about getting your base fired up and less about trying arrive at meaningful solutions. I think it would be a false equivalency to think that FNC is a counterbalance to, say, CNN. At least CNN seems mildly balanced, center-left, most of FNC's pundits are pretty hard-right in my opinion. Not to say that I'm defending CNN or other network news, they are all pretty lame now, just that FNC and MSNBC seem to be the worst of the lot by far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Is the point that they're blocking it only on the iPad, or is the point that they're blocking any devices?

I guess I don't know that one. But blocking a device category seems a lot fairer than blocking one device, so I don't think your GoogleTV example is equivalent.