New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's a horrible argument, how the heck do you know what they were saying back then? Besides, I didn't see you say that back then, so does that mean you weren't complaining either?

Also, it's not just one rag that's tried to do it, there were others that tried, the New York Times is a higher profile case in trying to do a bizarre paywall scheme.

Okay, it was my poor way of expressing that Microsoft with Internet Explorer was a much greater thread to the web envisioned by Sir Tim Berners-Lee than Apple encouraging use of standard HTML 5. Fortunately Explorer is becoming more compliant with web standards.

The issue here is the creation of a paywall which artificially limits a particular device rather than other examples which limit any device from accessing content before payment.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    hiker275hiker275 Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Seriously? Weiner's rise and fall?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, it's that kind of rag. It hardly seems worth the discussion. All this might just be an ill-conceived publicity stunt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sure, why not? Publishers and newspapers are having a field day with this scandal. It's not their fault that a lying politician named Weiner decided to send pictures of his weiner to all sorts of women on the internet.

This joke is the kind of thing you would expect to see on Letterman, or Leno, or The Daily Show. It's not the kind of thing that one would expect to see in any legitimate or serious newspaper or journal or magazine, or other serious news media outlet. Of course they would publish the story, but a headline like that would not be on the WSJ, or Time Magazine.

Reminds me of one of those pseudo famous quotes.... and I can't find the source for it. Sorry.

"When you can't get a real journalism job, there's Fox News" -unknown

But hey! The Post and Fox News are both owned by.....
  • Reply 103 of 131
    hiker275hiker275 Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just don't feed the trolls at all. He has one post. His account has no meaning.

Not to say I agree with the posts from vxhbnft in any way, but I do disagree with your assessment concerning the # of posts. You should evaluate what somebody says on the merit of their argument, their logic, and if the facts presented are correct. It doesn't matter if somebody has 1 post or 1000 posts.

If The Woz created an account today and his first post was verbatim what vxhbnft, would you argue that he is full of it based on "he has one post. His account has no meaning?"
  • Reply 104 of 131
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vxhbnft View Post

Anyone who buys an iPad is a gullible person. So of course people will try to take them for a ride. Who else would pay $500 to $830 for a "computer" that doesn't have a USB port? Apple's insistence on banning Flash and Java from its iPhone OS has also forced users of its products to go through the App Store to view many web sites. Apple has made this a common occurrence. So, anyone who purchases an iPad really deserves to be ripped off for funding unethical companies like Apple and for failing to fully think through what they were doing.

Alternative 1. Hope someone on the subway leaves a copy of the NY Post on their seat.

Alternative 2. Find a fish store that still wraps fish with newspaper.

Alternative 3. Retrieve a copy of the NY Post used to pick up dog poo.

You are an idiot with persecution complexes. If you could "fail to fully think through what you were doing" you could have a half a brain, let alone two cents.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.

Jon Stewart LIVE On Fox News, Tells Host 'You're Insane'

The Daily Show's Jon Stewart entered the proverbial lion's den, appearing live on Fox News Sunday to debate "media bias" with host Chris Wallace.

Early in the interview, Wallace flashed a previous quote of Stewart's calling Fox News a "relentless agenda-driven 24 hour news opinion propaganda delivery system," and asked Stewart, "Where do you come up with this stuff?"

Stewart responded, "Uh, it's actually quite easy."

Later, when Wallace argued that a clip about Sarah Palin from the Daily Show was political commentary, Stewart told Wallace, "You're insane... Here's the difference between you and I. I'm a comedian first. My comedy is informed by an ideological background, there's no question about that. But the thing that you will never understand...is that Hollywood, yeah, they're liberal, but that's not their primary motivating force. I'm not an activist. I am a comedian."

"Do I want my voice heard?" Stewart continued later. "Absolutely, that's why I got into comedy. Am I an activist, in your mind? A partisan ideological activist?" Wallace responded, "Yeah." "Okay, then I disagree with you," Stewart said. "You can't understand, because of the world that you live in, that there is not a designed ideological agenda on my part to affect partisan change because that's the soup you swim in. And I appreciate that, I understand it. It reminds me of in ideological regimes, they can't understand that there is free media other places because they receive marching orders."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_879964.html
  • Reply 106 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Not to say I agree with the posts from vxhbnft in any way, but I do disagree with your assessment concerning the # of posts. You should evaluate what somebody says on the merit of their argument, their logic, and if the facts presented are correct. It doesn't matter if somebody has 1 post or 1000 posts.

Exactly. Except his post is full of trolling crap and he obviously created the account to troll and waste people's time.

I'd have a similar reaction to someone saying that Apple does no wrong.

Quote:

If The Woz created an account today and his first post was verbatim what vxhbnft, would you argue that he is full of it based on "he has one post. His account has no meaning?"

Sure. Because the content is completely wrong.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

I thought all Apple users got their news directly from Steve Jobs. That way the distortion field stays in affect for all you magical apple experiences.

Here's yet another piece of the real internet unavailable to Apple lemmings.

If the NY Post is a piece of the real internet you can wallow in it like a pig in excrement. You deserve your "world" and I am glad you are not a part of mine.
  • Reply 108 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Okay, it was my poor way of expressing that Microsoft with Internet Explorer was a much greater thread to the web envisioned by Sir Tim Berners-Lee than Apple encouraging use of standard HTML 5. Fortunately Explorer is becoming more compliant with web standards.

The issue here is the creation of a paywall which artificially limits a particular device rather than other examples which limit any device from accessing content before payment.

OK. I don't get where HTML 5 comes into this discussion though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Youre right that everyone has to start somewhere. I don't think Woz would troll like that though, and I think that's a very key difference here. Someone that comes in with their frst post with demeaning comments really deserves to be considered a troll and ignored.
  • Reply 109 of 131
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Looks like you've made the same error in reasoning as the author of that piece. There's more web traffic today than in 2000 -- and probably more ftp traffic than in 1990 -- despite the fact that it's a smaller proportion of the overall. And, a lot, if not most, of that video traffic is probably served from web sites. It would be nice if a certain amount of thought went into the things people write.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And, a lot, if not most, of that video traffic is probably served from web sites.

Most of that video traffic is basically Netflix. Nobody is bigger and streams more video in North America.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa..... ANYONE dumb enough to actually pick up this pile of garbage, much less read something in it deserves to have to pay Rupe for trash.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I expect this to be common once ipad gets ios 5 with the feature that turns articles into an easy to read ebook like form. Once the media companies get wind of whats possible, they will all do this...this is all about ad revenue and the browser feature as demonstrated in the public WWDC keynote may in my opinion, killing the views for those ads...

This is the next war, just like DRM vs the users over the last 10 years, the next war is written content creators vs the companies that defeat the advertising headaches they foist on us...
  • Reply 113 of 131
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa..... ANYONE dumb enough to actually pick up this pile of garbage, much less read something in it deserves to have to pay Rupe for trash.

You sound like a real genius. Do you care to share which newspapers you read, if you read any at all?
  • Reply 114 of 131
    aquia33aquia33 Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I think i just threw up in my mouth...

A lot of mainstream media is slanted and biased, but Murdoch and co take it to the extreme. Much of the content on Fox News is ignorant, divisive, xenophobic, morally righteous bullshit...

So now even "morally righteous" is wrong I guess morally corrupt is the new in thing. xenophobic, not me, just the ones here illegally, working or not, paying taxes or not.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vxhbnft View Post

Exactly. It's just an end in itself. There is no purpose in owning one aside from looking cool. It's a status symbol, just like every other product Apple makes.

Of course that answer is not quite in fitting with what you think you are agreeing with. He said the iPad was the latest and greatest technology, agreeing with that does not lead to your second point.

Quote:

Flash can do far more things than HTML, CSS, and JavaScript can. So, obviously you are the one with a simplistic view of things. Maybe if you actually knew anything about how the Web works you'd agree.

No it can't.

Quote:

I actually make about $40,000 a year providing technical support for a large web site. And you?

Also, I doubt anyone who buys one is "Extremely intelligent" given they're paying hundreds of dollars for a product that can do far less than a regular computer can. You essentially have to ask permission from Apple to install anything on one and they're extremely difficult to repair, among other disadvantages.

In general you are the kind of guy who doesn't like Apple. Poor, not very bright, very little technical nous, and not really understanding what is going on. The product - the iPad - is at the forefront of mobile technology, and can do pretty much what a computer can do, which given it's price, is amazing. For every degree of portability we gain we have to lose, for now, some processor power. The 3.5 quad core Ghz iMac - which apparently is the world's fastest computer when running windows: booted from boot camp - is not going to fit in a mac book pro, and the mac book pro chip is not going to fit in a tablet.

The iPad has the fastest mobile chip and SOC, and amazing graphics cards. It is top of the range.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    paxpax Posts: 1member
    I'm not an Apple user but this move by the NY Post will hopefully have serious legal ramifications. Sadly, part of the problem here is Apple (something not mentioned in the article). They are partly responsible for these kinds of move and continue to laugh all the way to the bank at the expense of their users.

I really don't expect Apple to change anything to combat this since companies like the NY Post are their true customers.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pax View Post

I'm not an Apple user but this move by the NY Post will hopefully have serious legal ramifications.

What legal ramifications could possibly apply here? The website has no legal obligation to give out any free content.

Quote:

Sadly, part of the problem here is Apple (something not mentioned in the article). They are partly responsible for these kinds of move and continue to laugh all the way to the bank at the expense of their users.

I really don't expect Apple to change anything to combat this since companies like the NY Post are their true customers.

If Apple users dont like it they can move on. If the NYPost makes money on this they will do the same on an Android tablet. Openness wont save that. Clearly the NYPost has decided it is not making enough from ads on free websites, something a lot of content producers now feel.

The cost is a bit too much, but like print, some news papers will be free and totally ad supported, some will cost and be partially ad supported, and some will get most of their revenue from paying customers. That last model is rare in print, but will become more common in digital.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    vxhbnftvxhbnft Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In general you are the kind of guy who doesn't like Apple. Poor, not very bright, very little technical nous, and not really understanding what is going on.

Boy, that means a lot coming from someone who can't speak English!

Quote:

Of course that answer is not quite in fitting with what you think you are agreeing with. He said the iPad was the latest and greatest technology, agreeing with that does not lead to your second point.

He said it was the latest, not the greatest.

Quote:

The product - the iPad - is at the forefront of mobile technology, and can do pretty much what a computer can do, which given it's price, is amazing. For every degree of portability we gain we have to lose, for now, some processor power. The 3.5 quad core Ghz iMac - which apparently is the world's fastest computer when running windows: booted from boot camp - is not going to fit in a mac book pro, and the mac book pro chip is not going to fit in a tablet.

1. The fastest Mac is actually the Mac Pro. Apparently, you don't know much about Macs.

2. The top ten fastest desktop computers are all PCs. Ironically, most are cheaper than a Mac Pro. You can buy a quad-core HP with 6 GB of RAM for $600: link.

3. I built my computer for $200. It has a dual-core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, a nice graphics card, etc. You're obviously too lazy and stupid to do something like that. You'd rather pay Apple $1500 than read a book on building your own computer? I've tried OS X. I've installed it on my PC. Windows is so much better, so I deleted the OS X install.

• Reply 119 of 131
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:

In general you are the kind of guy who doesn't like Apple. Poor, not very bright, very little technical nous, and not really understanding what is going on.

Well, I am well into 6 figures, not poor or ignorant and I support tens of thousands of apple products. You sir are a perfect example of why new customers don't want anything to do with many apple fans and you give fans a bad name.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koofka View Post

Only a matter of time before they adjust the browser detect to also block the other IOS primary browsers...The iPad itself is a paywall to Internet content that has been primarily free for a decade. Like it or not - its time to reap what you boys have sowed. - Koof

No they won't Koof because the other browsers have settings to emulate Firefox or Safari desktop - which is exactly what Apple should be doing with it's mobile browser. As for your clueless soap box comment, go back to banging your Windows box and stroking your Android bar.