Apple to ban iPhone Concert Filming?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...g-filming.html

WTF? Does anyone know about this? It sounds like it's bunk to me. If true, I can see a revolt among iPhone users. One has to wonder if this isn't just Apple's attempt to placate recording companies and artists by saying "hey! we're doing everything we can!". Some credence to that theory is lent below:

Quote:

The leading computer company plans to build a system that will sense when people are trying to video live events ? and turn off their cameras.

A patent application filed by Apple revealed how the technology would work.

If an iPhone were held up and used to film during a concert infra-red sensors would detect it.

These sensors would then contact the iPhone and automatically disable its camera function.

People would still be able to send text messages and make calls.

The new technology is seen as an attempt to protect the interests of event organisers and broadcasters who have exclusive rights to concerts.

The companies are often left frustrated when videos of shows appear online via websites such as YouTube which let users watch them for free.

Apple filed for the patent 18 months ago ? and it is thought if successful it will help them negotiate deals with record labels to sell content through iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's a patent they just got that details software that can recognize certain things that shouldn't be being recorded and stops recording them.

No actual software exists that can do this. It's nothing more than a few images in a patent. Leave it to the media to claim it's not only real, but imminent.

I remember reading this a few weeks ago and then seeing a picture of a concert in action being displayed on screen at the WWDC Keynote. It made me laugh. Apple won't do this at all.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a patent they just got that details software that can recognize certain things that shouldn't be being recorded and stops recording them.

No actual software exists that can do this. It's nothing more than a few images in a patent. Leave it to the media to claim it's not only real, but imminent.

I remember reading this a few weeks ago and then seeing a picture of a concert in action being displayed on screen at the WWDC Keynote. It made me laugh. Apple won't do this at all.

I can't imagine that happening either. I hadn't heard about the patent. I also agree that there is no software I know of that can do this in reality. As amazing as my iPhone is, it can't even shoot in low light much less figure out it's at an Insane Clown Posse concert and turn it self off.

*Note: No, I don't actually go to ICP concerts.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I can't imagine that happening either. I hadn't heard about the patent. I also agree that there is no software I know of that can do this in reality. As amazing as my iPhone is, it can't even shoot in low light much less figure out it's at an Insane Clown Posse concert and turn it self off.

*Note: No, I don't actually go to ICP concerts.

Apple has a couple of recent patents that involve remote monitoring of what you're filming, even who you're communicating with.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=126432

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of Apple taking an undue interest in what you're doing with your own phone, and having the ability to stop it if they feel it's somehow improper.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    No way this will show up anywhere, ever. Imagine going to your kids' Christmas pageant, and the software "thinks" you're filming a live concert. Also, if Apple does this, all anyone else would do would be to use a different device. It's not like HTC and all of the others are going to follow suit or something. I call it FUD, fabricated to make the "closed garden, Apple wants to control your phone" idiots cum in their pants.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Apple is planning to stop you from filming concerts with your iPhone because they want to flog you their own ? DRM-ed! ? 'video registrations' of it.

When they do Apple will defacto have crippled/broken YOUR iPhone!

Still think Apple are 'the good guys'...?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    LOL please it's just a patent filing. If Apple actually does that many people will be dumping their iPhones for Android. Thanks for playing.

There's no way the organisers can stop concert recordings with phones. What people should invent is something kinda like what Apple patented - an app that detects what concert you are recording and then (up)sell you value-added things you can buy with one click when you're hyped up during the concert. Like merchandise, videos, etc. Or have apps that interact in real time with the concert performance and integrate with social networks.

For example, when I am at a DJ gig I want to be able to see the track list of the set as the DJ plays each track. One-click FB or Twitter postings of the track and my response to it would be cool too.

Clubs could have some sort of thing to allow for augmented reality... Imagine waving your phone around and seeing labels pop up like where the bar is, toilet locations, drink specials, mini-drinking/social party games. The social aspect could be implemented within the club itself... For example during each track everyone in the club can vote on it in realtime, vote on upcoming tracks, and there could be even a little "matchmaking" game for people with the same interests, proximity detection, etc.

It's all coming soon and probably some of my ideas are already being investigated, I'm just tapping into the global stream of consciousness.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL please it's just a patent filing.

'Just a patent filing'? They don't file patents for nothing. Patent filing is a tad too expensive for frivolity!

Besides, consider what Apple has done in the past with patents they filed!

(Or with patents that others filed, for that matter... )

Quote:

There's no way the organisers can stop concert recordings with phones.

The organisers can't, perhaps, but Apple can! The next step after face recognition is scene recognition. That just needs to be coupled to 'tune recognition' (which we already have: Shazam), and when there's a match iOS refuses to record video. Simple.

Quote:

What people should invent is something that detects what concert you are recording and then (up)sell you value-added things you can buy with one click when you're hyped up during the concert. Like merchandise, videos, etc. Or have apps that interact in real time with the concert performance and integrate with social networks.

That is exactly what Apple is planning. And it helps Apple a lot to sell you 'official registrations' if you can't record the gig yourself, doesn't it? It would be your only alternative.

Apple will have to 'break'/cripple your iPhone/iOS to make that happen, though!

They can, and they will, if we, the users/the public/the people, surrender 'Net Neutrality' to the big corporations (which includes Apple) as they, and the US, EU, and Oz governments are secretly scheming to do (ACTA!) as we speak!

Obama recently signed an executive order making the negotiations about ACTA secret! We, the users/the public/the people, are to be kept uninformed/in the dark about what ACTA will mean for us until after it has been agreed upon by the governments and big business, and set in stone. International treaties overrule national law, after all!

So much for Obama's 'transparent administration'...

Oh, and FYI: ACTA will pertain to all Operating Systems! Buying Android, Symbian, Cydia, or RIM, etc., won't work to circumvent DRM if ACTA is effected!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Apple is going to prevent you filming concerts

You're the guy that recently said Apple make's 80% of their money from.... software!

Why should we take anything you say seriously?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

'Just a patent filing'? They don't file patents for nothing.

Fortunately, they only use about a third of the patents they DO file.

Quote:

Oh, and FYI: ACTA will pertain to all Operating Systems! Buying Android, Symbian, Cydia, or RIM, etc., won't work to circumvent DRM if ACTA is effected!

You realize, of course, that it's likely there will be applications for every single OS that circumvent this nonsense, provided it even does get passed?

Parttimer, have you ever considered a job as a tech analyst? You're incredibly good at the 'making crap up' part of their job, and the rest (being able to write complete sentences) seems to be a cakewalk for you. Look into it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Apple is planning to stop you from filming concerts with your iPhone because they want to flog you their own – DRM-ed! – 'video registrations' of it.

When they do Apple will defacto have crippled/broken YOUR iPhone!

Still think Apple are 'the good guys'...?

Still think this rumor is real? You're either really stupid or really biased or both if you believe it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

You realize, of course, that it's likely there will be applications for every single OS that circumvent this nonsense, provided it even does get passed?

Of course! And you realize, of course, that using, and probably even posessing, any of those applications will be a felony, don't you?

Quote:

Parttimer, have you ever considered a job as a tech analyst? You're incredibly good at the 'making crap up' part of their job, and the rest (being able to write complete sentences) seems to be a cakewalk for you. Look into it.

Naah, I couldn't ever compete with you. I'm never going to catch you. You're 2,331 posts ahead of me! I defer to the master.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    It's clear that few people actually looked at the patent application. This does NOT use image or scene recognition, but adds an infrared sensing capability to the camera, and uses it to search for "encoded data". The device that then do something (or not do something) based on the data.

The technology to do this is pretty simple, much like a TV remote control, or a Wiimote. What is new here is that it couples the infrared sensing with a visible-light camera. These would enable new applications. People can tag reality with infrared transmitters.

One possible function would be for concert producers or movie theaters to have a "do not record" signal. This in itself would probably not be high-value, as cameras would not universally comply. Anyone who really wanted to record would just buy another camera.

What is more valuable would be making more information available to users (like retail customers) without any significant visual display.

It struck me that the transmitter part was not covered in the application. However, I don't see how it would be fundamentally different from a TV remote transmitter or other infrared beacons (e.g., Roomba, Wii).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

cameras would not universally comply. Anyone who really wanted to record would just buy another camera.

Dream on: under ACTA recording and distributing copyrighted material will be a federal felony and an international crime. Whatever hard- and/or software one uses.

NO ACTA - Stop the Kraken

ACTA - Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

New ACTA Leak Confirms Major Threat to Internet Freedom, Privacy
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Dream on: under ACTA recording and distributing copyrighted material will be a federal felony and an international crime.

And this is something you expect to actually pass, is it?

And... isn't that already the case? Pirating crap is illegal.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

And this is something you expect to actually pass, is it?

If we let it slide, yes.

And we, public opinion, is letting ACTA slide at the moment!

While Obama has very recently signed an executive order to keep the state of negotiations secret, which means that both congress and public are to be kept in the dark about what they are planning for us.

What is he hiding from us?

Quote:

And... isn't that already the case? Pirating crap is illegal.

In those countries where it is 'illegal', as you call it, it is now a 'mere' misdemeanor. If ACTA is signed, between the governments of the US, EU, and Oz (and dozens of other countries – not for nothing a.k.a. 'client-states' after all – will latch on), it will be an international treaty. International treaties overrule national law. So the parliament or congress in anyone signatory country can vote against ACTA provisions all they want, it still is the law because their country is bound by international treaty.

And when it is it's not just a misdemeanor anymore, but a federal felony and an international crime punishable with long term jailtime sentences.

It's like punishing debatable illegal parking with two years in jail (and a broken career). A totalitarian disproportionality.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I found this on the UK site, but I think it came from the US originally (hard to figure out their timestamps).

http://www.viceland.com/wp/2011/06/a...he-week-apple/

Valid points, or more pointless Jobs-bashing? Can't say I'll ever switch back to PC because of stuff like this, it always seems so intangible. Are people right to get pissed off with Apple? Do we have any moral responsibility to halt Apple's ubiquity, or is that just a sign of its own (fairly-won) success?

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Interesting piece, Vern. Thanks. Sadly Zach Pontz is one of just a few waking up to reality. Most have stardust in their eyes.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    SkyNews condensed this evil Apple plan in 150 seconds video.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

...punishing debatable...

"Hmm. I don't own a copy of this movie. Guess I'll just download it for free instead of paying for it."

If you think that's debatable, there's something wrong with you.