Rumor: Apple's new Mac Pro, Mac mini with Thunderbolt coming by August

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    joebjoeb Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The E7 series Xeon is too expensive and the E3 series is too slow (E3-1260L would work great in a Mini though). This leaves either the 5000-series or the upcoming E5 series due in October (which they may get early access to). There doesn't seem to be anything to replace the entry quad though.

Right now, they use the following Westmere chips:

E5620 2.40GHz 4c/8t 80W = $387

X5650 2.66GHz 6c/12t 95W = $996

X5670 2.93GHz 6c/12t 95W = $1440

There's nothing to replace the E5620 but they could use the following that came out in Q1 '11:

E5649 2.53GHz 6c/12t 90W = $774

X5675 3.06GHz 6c/12t 95W = $1440

This could bring the 12-core $4999 model down to $4499 so that the pricing is $2499, $3499, $4499. This isn't Sandy Bridge though, which arrives in October.

I guess the current Westmere chips get dropped down to the $2499 and $2999 models and replace Nehalem but this means going from a quad 2.8GHz Nehalem to a quad 2.4GHz Westmere.

If it was the intention to do this, Thunderbolt and Lion must have been the delaying factors or possibly a new chassis design. There needs to be PCI 3.0 in this one too. It'll be interesting to see how they integrate the TB ports on the MP when it uses PCI GPUs.

I'd say two Thunderbolt ports. HDMI can be achieved with a Mini-DP -> HDMI adaptor leaving a TB port free for storage or some external MXM graphics card that NVidia/AMD ought to be making.

The Mac Mini can come as soon as Lion arrives as well as the Pro if they use the above processors. The MBA, not until the new Toshiba NAND but that could be July too.

New dates would be:

July/August = Mini, dual core i5/i7 with Intel graphics, Thunderbolt, possibly SSD

July/August = Macbook Air, Macbook discontinued, double SSD capacity, dual core-i ULV, Intel graphics, Thunderbolt

July/August = non-Sandy Bridge Mac Pro with above CPUs, TB etc

August/September = iPhone, same design, A5 chip

October/November = Sandy Bridge Mac Pro, 8-cores per CPU for high-end to reach 16-cores, 32-threads, PCI-3.0, new design, Thunderbolt

January 2012 = Ivy Bridge, starting with MBP refresh again in Q1

better to put some kind of video card on the unused pci-e x8-12 lanes that will go unused with TB ports maybe if they feed the TB chip with all X16 lanes so 3-4 TB ports can get there max use as having a TB video card can eat up the X4 pci-e lanes to the TB chip on it's own and still be not at it's max.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Mainly for the better GPU performance relative to Sandy Bridge. Of course if they go SB with an external GPU that would be even better.

That being said I do wonder what the hold up might be. Maybe this is all BS and the hardware will come with Lion.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Do you guys think we will see a Thunderbolt Thumb Drive, I would really like to have that. Possibly an iPhone cable supporting thunderbolt would be great too.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeB View Post

sill need USB for stuff like keyboards and mouse

Adapter. Simple.

Quote:

E-net is also needed!!

Adapter. Even more simple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Do you guys think we will see a Thunderbolt Thumb Drive

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT.

Quote:

Possibly an iPhone cable supporting thunderbolt would be great too.

As much as we need it, we'll never have it. We have Wi-Fi sync now. Know what that means? When 802.11ac hits draft status around mid 2013, we'll start seeing it included in all Macs and iDevices, as well as whatever the AirPort family has evolved into. That'll be fast enough for any syncing, really, even though by then we'll have 100Gb Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Mainly for the better GPU performance relative to Sandy Bridge. Of course if they go SB with an external GPU that would be even better.

That being said I do wonder what the hold up might be. Maybe this is all BS and the hardware will come with Lion.

this make you any happier?

i would hope for that... i have a Lenovo laptop, which i bought solely because it has better GPU.... (instead of Macbook) and than i have a 8 year old Imac >.<

AMD= $500 Mac Mini + better graphics + equal, or not better than current CPU?

i wouldn't mind the i7's graphics (its okay, if you want to run light gaming) but the reality is that Mac Mini isn't a gaming machine....
  • Reply 46 of 131
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    What about the rumor that the revised Mac Pro will be slimmer, so it will fit easily in standard computer racks?
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Waht do you think - will the new MacPros be able to start in 10.6 SnowLeopard?

I can't work with Lion because i need Rosetta and FRREHAND......

If is won't boot in 10.6 i'll have to buy a 2010 MacPro until the new ones are shipping.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

Waht do you think - will the new MacPros be able to start in 10.6 SnowLeopard?

Of course not.

Quote:

I can't work with Lion because i need Rosetta and FRREHAND......

Or a program updated in the last five years.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    cashawwcashaww Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

My current Mac Pro is great at a lot of things, but the 667 MHz Bus and Memory are killing me. It's also unable to boot into the 64-bit kernel, though it handles all the 64-bit apps well. My 30" Cinema Display is still going strong and I see no sense in replacing it. That all said, this new Mac Pro might just entice me to upgrade. I just don't know if I'm willing to part with that kind of money for a computer that I only use at home. I never thought I'd get to the point where my current Mac was actually good enough to handle everything I needed without being slow. There's no way I'd ever downgrade to a Mac Mini, and the iMac includes a screen when I already have the 30". I'm stuck.

I use my new iMac with my old Cinema DIsplay, works beautifully.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    @ Tallest Skill:

Are you sure the new MacPros only work with Lion?

Why you think this will be so?
  • Reply 51 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Things I would like to see in a new Mac Pro are:

- Sandy Bridge (obviously)

- SATA III on the internal drive bays

- Some cleaner way to use 2.5" drives, other than an adaptor in a 3.5in bay

- An option for a weakling fanless video card, so you can combine it with SSDs only, for a very quiet box.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:

@ Tallest Skill:

Yeah.... I'd like an answer to that as well. Who has said that any new Macs can't be downgraded to Snow Leopard?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not.

Or a program updated in the last five years.

Re: FreeHand and your slap-in-the-face reply:

There are many of us that standardized within companies and even industries and continue to use far superior software that was, in this case, illegally included in a buy-out by Adobe. THEY failed to upgrade it, OR make their favored Illustrator software, any better than it was before they bought the competition's better product.

IF Adobe updated FreeHand, their would be an estimated 10-15,000 upgrade sales practically over night. But as we all know too well, Adobe has become complacent with many of their products, and can't seem to properly engineer anything right theses days.

FYI: I'm personally responsible for 3.5+ million Freehand files for assorted packaging printers. We've been on Illustrator now since CS4, and currently CS5. Unfortunately, many older FH files won't open, and when they do they are mangled, until we open them in the last version of FH and do some trickery (mostly ungrouping objects).

While I have the luxury of having many machines at my disposal, at least of which one will stay on SL so that I can VPN or Screenshare to use FreeHand, well... not everybody does.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot to like about Lion and getting my clients and assorted freelancers to upgrade should not be a hassle. However, the lack of Rosetta will make it a bit tougher.

NOTE: as I understand it from another thread, it's not Apple's fault, because they were licensing Rosetta in the first place. IBM bought that company, and refuses to license Rosetta in the future. Can anyone confirm this?

Suggestion: Why don't you head over to Macworld and witness the dismay of the people that use an older version of Quicken for similar reasons , and try your trite comment out on them?
  • Reply 53 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Yeah.... I'd like an answer to that as well. Who has said that any new Macs can't be downgraded to Snow Leopard?

I am pretty sure Apple limits the minimum OS, for a machine, to the current version that was out when the machine was shipped out. This is why one cannot take their 10.6.0 retail DVD and install it on a Mac that shipped with 10.6.3; one has to buy a newer version or use the DVD that came with the computer.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

On the other hand, I think that 100% black is nice. I like the look of my black macbook. This doesn't really matter much to me, since I'm not looking to get one, but it would be cool if Apple made the mini 100% black, just like they did with Apple TV. And I agree with you on one point, I also never did like the look of those 50/50 Apple laptops, which featured unmatched colors. They should keep it simple, all one color.

Leave it alone. An all black server would be cool.

And focus on many new Virtual smart instruments fio logic too like richest and many, hundereds if styles.

Then they need to fix the CPU fiasco. No way a 2009 2.93 keeps up with some newer chips and come out with 8 core so 2 is=16 cores, 4=32, that would really dent PromTools TDM as native would be fine and make logic have a Pt skin so anyone that knows Pt the short cuts would work. They really do need to talk to

Intel and get faster chips. And last, for now, if they could build some type of arranger that could build a song out of a (example), piano melody, that would be revolutionary.

They COULD DO IT. Start by buying out Band In A Box and go from there.

Peace ALL!!!
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

And focus on many new Virtual smart instruments fio logic too like richest and many, hundereds if styles.

Say WHAAAAT?
  • Reply 56 of 131
    +1 to those who think the old FreeHand is still better than the newest Illustrator. FreeHand was just better software, period.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benthic View Post

It would depend on the Mac Mini. It's probably too much to hope for but here's my wish list:

1) Core i7 (mobile version)

2) up to 16 GB RAM (4x4GB SODIMM)

3) Thunderbolt AND USB3.0 (need at least USB2.0 of course, for my mouse/keyboard)

4) Radeon 6000 series mobile GPU, preferably as an MXM module that's upgradeable later

Of course since I'm wishing here I might as well add a pony to the list ... :-)

Is is okay to day dream.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not only is this information old though, it comes from Seth Weintraub who is a complete idiot and often wrong.

Mr. Weintraub is not an idiot. He is reasonably well-connected and sometimes right. He is also making a living off that track record, which I understand makes some people envious.

Name-calling belittles you more than those you insult. May I suggest you try diplomacy, which will earn you some respect. Overall, your game is not strong and you could gain from a sabbatical, professor, to refine it. For example, you could refine your logical arguments (see thread on Apple and Samsung executives meeting).
  • Reply 59 of 131
    Quote:

@ Tallest Skill:

Because not a single Mac that has ever been released can work with a version of the OS that was created before said Mac's release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Apple over the last two decades.

Quote:

buy-out by Adobe.

I take it all back. I apologize. You're completely justified in continuing to use software that actually works.

We need a new Illustrator alternative in the vein of Pixlemator...
  • Reply 60 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because not a single Mac that has ever been released can work with a version of the OS that was created before said Mac's release.

Apple over the last two decades.

To back this up, consider that new HW needs new drivers and any new Macs would need the drivers that came with the restore disc/stick as the retail version likely won't contain them.

Now it's possible that the drivers KEXTs in the Lion for new Macs will work with SL, perhaps some even working very well, but this would be a hack, not something supported by Apple. You may even have to jump through hoops to get a retail version of SL installed on any new machines even if it does have acceptable drivers.