Verizon rumored to begin tiered data plans July 7 starting at $30 for 2GB

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Sprint just got a life line from Verizon......

I hope Sprint can handle the mass exodus from Verizon as people's contracts expire or they need to upgrade their phones....

AT&T plans are not much better, but they might pick up a lot of people from Verizon as well...
  • Reply 62 of 79
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If you signup with T-Mobile today for an unlimited data plan, and then AT&T buys T-Mobile, do you end up with a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for your iPhone?

You can't...T-mobile Ditched Unlimited data a month ago. Your too late.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Looks like I'm never getting on this smart phone bandwagon.

We only have Verizon here for all intents and purposes.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Apple Inc. should just open their own cellular company!
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Problem solved with pdanet on iphone (jailbroken) or android. Use the existing $30 mo unlimited plan and have tethering with no caps or bs fees. This bs will eventually push people to jailbreak, it's inevitable.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Winsness View Post

Apple Inc. should just open their own cellular company!

Abject nonsense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

Problem solved with pdanet on iphone (jailbroken) or android. Use the existing $30 mo unlimited plan and have tethering with no caps or bs fees. This bs will eventually push people to jailbreak, it's inevitable.

Tell me, good sir, how does one acquire an unlimited data plan via jailbreaking once it is impossible to actually have an unlimited data plan?
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Abject nonsense.

Tell me, good sir, how does one acquire an unlimited data plan via jailbreaking once it is impossible to actually have an unlimited data plan?

Verizon has an unlimited data plan that you use for web browsing, etc on your phone for $30 mo. pdanet uses this, not a separate tethering account. Hence the pdanet tether uses your existing unlimited data. Is it violating tos, maybe.

You can go on vz right now, the $30 unlimited data plan is still available.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

where do you live? please save all of us who being held captive by verizon.

Europe . Sorry.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    There's a changing dynamics in a way we handle our calls, multimedia & browsing usage. Taking example of Google Chromebook: a laptop with no hard drive, no software programs on board, no files or folders, no traditional operating system. All it does is connect to the Web. files, programs, e-mail and photos are all ?in the cloud,? meaning ?on Web sites?.

Then there?s Apple?s new iCloud initiative. These are not the only mega-trends. There're enormous shifts going in TV and movie watching. Those, too, are raining down from ?the cloud?. And for phone calls, more and more people avoid using up their cellular minutes by relying on the Internet to carry their voices, using apps like Skype and Line2.

All of these mega-trends consume enormous amounts of bandwidth. All of that uploading and downloading, all of that syncing, all of that cloud computing assumes you have a fast & infinite access to the Internet. These are all great and exciting and money-saving.

And that means that they?re about to run into another, far less exciting mega-trend: data caps. We can understand the cellphone carriers? point of view. All of these iPhones and Android phones use enormous amounts of wireless cellular capacity, and it was slowing down the connections for everyone. Caps are necessary.

AT&T has done it. Verizon is doing it. The point is how are we supposed to enjoy our cloud if we?re allowed only selective access to it? How is the bold new world of online computing going to take off if the meter is racking up punishing overage charges every time we look at our photos? But that?s not the worst mega-trend. The worst is caps on home data plans. That?s right: Time Warner, Comcast and other broadband providers are putting limits on how much data you get every month, even at home.

It's the collision course out there.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Hari5 (whoever) posting just above me has a 'good eye' on things

And is only one I noticed to mention this ...

iCloud - just as it's ready to go, here comes bullshit from Cell Phone Folks

Whether or not they are 'bastards' or 'basterds'

For damn sure they're Bass Turds

All the 'Hopes and Dreams and Future Promise' of iCloud

Shot to hell by greedy ass Middle Men

Least in the 'short run'

We'll see about the 'long run'

Just hope it won't take another 10 to 20 years to get there

• Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:

Verizon has an unlimited data plan that you use for web browsing, etc on your phone for $30 mo. pdanet uses this, not a separate tethering account. Hence the pdanet tether uses your existing unlimited data. Is it violating tos, maybe.

You can go on vz right now, the $30 unlimited data plan is still available.

That doesn't answer my question at all.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    greeng4greeng4 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Abject nonsense.

I don't think Apple possibly starting a cellular company is abject nonsense. Think about the fact that Apple like to control the entire user experience adn the only major negative to that exerience are the wireless companies. I don't think they are planning on implmenting one any time soon, but if the wireless carriers keep limiting data so greatly, Apple may just decide to pull the trigger on it.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

I don't think Apple possibly starting a cellular company is abject nonsense. Think about the fact that Apple like to control the entire user experience adn the only major negative to that exerience are the wireless companies. I don't think they are planning on implmenting one any time soon, but if the wireless carriers keep limiting data so greatly, Apple may just decide to pull the trigger on it.

Seventy billion dollars doesn't even begin to pay for building archaic cell towers with a ten mile range that cover the entire planet. Don't kid yourself.

And that's just hardware. They'd also need bandwidth licensing in every single country.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

That doesn't answer my question at all.

They've never said anything about getting rid of unlimited data, this just concerns tethering data plans. If they ever cut unlimited data then pdanet will be no better than using the tethering plans. If they cut unlimited data though, you might as well kiss the icloud experiment goodbye and skype, social gaming, facebook, etc etc anything that uses much data.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:

They've never said anything about getting rid of unlimited data, this just concerns tethering data plans. If they ever cut unlimited data then pdanet will be no better than using the tethering plans. If they cut unlimited data though, you might as well kiss the icloud experiment goodbye and skype, social gaming, facebook, etc etc anything that uses much data.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20...at-30-for-2gb/

"Data plans:

2GB ? $30/month

5GB ? $50/month

10GB ? $80/month

If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

Data plans w/ tethering:

4GB ? $50/month

7GB ? $70/month

12GB ? $100/month

If you go over your purchased amount of data, it will cost you $10 per 1GB."

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20...start-in-july/

It was NOT that hard to find links refuting your claim of no mention.

They've been talking about tiered data since late last year, and now we know they are launching.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20...at-30-for-2gb/

"Data plans:

2GB – $30/month

5GB – $50/month

10GB – $80/month

If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

Data plans w/ tethering:

4GB – $50/month

7GB – $70/month

12GB – $100/month

If you go over your purchased amount of data, it will cost you $10 per 1GB."

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20...start-in-july/

It was NOT that hard to find links refuting your claim of no mention.

They've been talking about tiered data since late last year, and now we know they are launching.

Also in there.....

We have even heard mention of current customers being allowed to upgrade to a new device after July 7 though, and continue to keep their unlimited data, but are awaiting further clarification on that.

As I've said before, ending unlimited data really calls into question the viability of smart phones and cloud based computing in my opinion. With HD videos you can easily tear through 2gb in a few hours. I believe at some point if a plan like this goes through you could expect apple to turn the screws on vz

As a side note, this would basically kill the chromebook.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:

If they cut unlimited data though, you might as well kiss the icloud experiment goodbye

Except iCloud doesn't sync over 3G anyway.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:

Except iCloud doesn't sync over 3G anyway.

True, initially it wont. I don't believe it will stay that way. Some people don't have wifi and wont pay for a tether to get it. I expect a 3g sync as an option eventually.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:

Also in there.....

We have even heard mention of current customers being allowed to upgrade to a new device after July 7 though, and continue to keep their unlimited data, but are awaiting further clarification on that.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21...ers-and-lines/

As far as we're concerned, yes grandfathering will take effect. It's not official but it's something, and most material such as this ends up manifesting as truth from the Droid sites.

Quote:

existing customers may be able to keep their current pricing and data plan when renewing or upgrading as long as they are locked in prior to 7/7. And from what we?ve been told, that?s a forever type of thing ? as in, you can upgrade a year from now and still hang out with your best friend, the unlimited data plan.