FCC outs upcoming refresh of Apple's AirPort Extreme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new filing with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has revealed an updated AirPort Extreme wireless base station from Apple is forthcoming.

The new hardware was outed this week by the FCC and discovered by Engadget. The filing, made by Apple on June 16, shows a 3x3 802.11n access point, dubbed model A1408.

The label includes mention of AirPort IDs in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz range, as well as an Ethernet ID. The hardware carries an FCC ID of BCGA1408.

The documents do not reveal what may have changed in the new hardware model, but it's likely the new hardware is set for imminent release given the timing of the FCC filing.

In 2009, Apple's then-unannounced Magic Mouse was revealed by the FCC, just after AppleInsider revealed it would be a multi-touch device. A few weeks later, the Magic Mouse was made available by Apple.

Last week, Apple updated its AirPort Utility, and the software contains references to a new fourth-generation Time Capsule and fifth-generation AirPort Extreme. No mention of a new Time Capsule was made in the latest FCC filings, but given that stock of the hardware has run dry along with AirPort base stations, it's a likely candidate for a refresh as well.

Various rumors have claimed that Apple may shift its base stations to run iOS. This transition could allow for more robust features, like print and media streaming services, integration with iCloud, and cached wireless software updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does the FCC filing show Apple's submission and request for privacy until a certain date?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    admadm Posts: 6member
    The implementation of dual networks - an internal (private /encrypted), and an external (unencrypted / guest network) was an excellent idea (and made me buy the basestation for that sole feature).

The current implementation however is flawed: it assumes you do not have any dns servers inside your internal network. I hope this will finally be corrected.

In the current Apple design, both networks (internal and guest) share the same DNS configuration (how stupid) as configured in DHCP.

If you do have a private DNS inside your network, and you do not allow the guest network to connect to internal addresses (which is exactly why you would have dual networks), then the guests can't reach your internal DNS and need to configure manually an external DNS server, which is too much hassle or too complex for most "visitors".

I have submitted bug reports and service requests, but after more then 3 years Apple still hasn't found this setup important enough to provide a solution.

Apple should open-source the firmware or at least provide details on how to configure the airport over snmp v3 as the current administration and logging options are really too limited.

--

Peter

(somewhere in Switzerland)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new filing with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has revealed an updated AirPort Extreme wireless base station from Apple is forthcoming.

The new hardware was outed this week by the FCC and discovered by Engadget. The filing, made by Apple on June 16, shows a 3x3 802.11n access point, dubbed model A1408.

I wonder if 3x3 is a reference to its physical dimensions?

The current AppleTV is 4"x4" so this would be even tinier.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I wonder if 3x3 is a reference to its physical dimensions?

The current AppleTV is 4"x4" so this would be even tinier.

I believe it's a reference to the antenna design.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Quote:

No mention of a new Time Capsule was made in the latest FCC filings, but given that stock of the hardware has run dry along with AirPort base stations, it's a likely candidate for a refresh as well.

Could this be a sign that Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme are merging into one product?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Looks like it won't be released today since it's already 9am on the East Coast and the store is still up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Could this be a sign that Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme are merging into one product?

The Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme Base Station with a built in HDD.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

"The new AirPort Extreme is the perfect wireless solution for home, school, and small business."

$179.-
  • Reply 8 of 19
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adm View Post

I have submitted bug reports and service requests, but after more then 3 years Apple still hasn't found this setup important enough to provide a solution.

Apple doesn't really do this enterprise high-end stuff. It makes consumer products.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    now suppose the new airport extreme runs on ios

given the fact that apple's airprint feature in ios is not supported on many printers

would it not be very logical to make the airport extreme a "airprint print server"?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jackberger View Post

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

"The new AirPort Extreme is the perfect wireless solution for home, school, and small business."

$179.-

I don't see what's new about it. I think that is the same statement that has been there for the past year.

The Time Capsule pages have been updated to show 2TB and 3TB for $299 and $499 respectively. However, as of this posting the Apple Store still has yet to be updated to reflect this change.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Yes, the Airport Extreme has been updated. This has a model number of MD031AM/A, while the previous model was MC340AM/A, which I ordered, then returned, a few weeks ago. They've also dropped the price by $20, as noted by Jackberger.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 13 of 19
    shaggyshaggy Posts: 42member
    No QoS = No Dice.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This changes everything.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    megamega Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe it's a reference to the antenna design.

3x3 means the number of streams that you can run. You can choose many antennas(for diversity) to transmit those streams but the throughput cannot cross more than 450 mbps.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Various rumors have claimed that Apple may shift its base stations to run iOS. This transition could allow for more robust features, like print and media streaming services, integration with iCloud, and cached wireless software updates...

...and AppleTV !!!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    admadm Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Apple doesn't really do this enterprise high-end stuff. It makes consumer products.

Airport base stations may be targeted at schools and small business. My setup is no high-end requirement - I used cheaper devices before that offerd site-to-site VPN and more configuration options on the firewall.

Example: Imagine a small hotel where administrative staff wants to access the internal servers and where an internal dns is configured. Visitors are on the public network.

The correct solution for apple would be to have separate nameserver fields for the guest and internal dhcp configurations.

and

Allow DHCP to be activated independently on both networks. Currently DHCP is either on or off on BOTH networks. That again makes no sense.

I have an internal DHCP ( open source: dnsmask) which allows much finer control over the settings that Apple offers, but it can't be used because airport base station needing DHCP on its external network.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

I believe that the TC has a built in APE already, no?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    According to the FCC reports, there is a significant difference in the power output of the g/n radios at both 2.4 and 5ghz.

Follow the following links, then select the "Report" for each.

Previous Version...

http://goo.gl/B8PIu

Current Verison Version...

http://goo.gl/3yKRl

Previous model...

freqency range mode output power dbm output power watts

2412-2462 802.11b 24.57 286.42

2412-2462 802.11g 21.56 143.22

2412-2462 802.11n(ht20) 21.17 130.92

5745-5825 802.11a 23.07 202.77

5745-5805 802.11n(ht20) 22.17 164.82

5755-5795 802.11n(ht40) 21.44 139.32

New Version...

2412-2462 802.11b 24.10 257.04

2412-2462 802.11g 24.88 307.61

2412-2462 802.11n(ht20) 24.11 257.63

5745-5825 802.11a 25.14 326.59

5745-5805 802.11n(ht20) 25.28 337.29

5755-5795 802.11n(ht40) 25.94 392.64

This should mean a fairly significant increase in range with the new model. I would imagine these changes would be consistent with the Time Capsule as well.