Apple releases Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Final Cut Pro X, which it touted a "revolutionary new version" of the video editing software, for $299.99 on the Mac App Store, along with Motion 5 and Compressor 4 for $49.99 each.

Final Cut Pro X (iTunes link) features a "Magnetic Timeline" that lets users edit on a flexible, trackless canvas. It also boasts "Content Auto-Analysis" that categorizes content upon import by shot type, media and people.

New background rendering also allows users to work without interruption. The software, available only on the Mac App Store in Mac OS X, is built on a modern 64-bit architecture.

"Final Cut Pro X is the biggest advance in Pro video editing since the original Final Cut Pro," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing. "We have shown it to many of the world?s best Pro editors, and their jaws have dropped."

Final Cut Pro X's "Magnetic Timeline" is a trackless approach to editing footage. It allows users to add and arrange clips wherever they want them, while other clips instantly slide out of the way.

"Clip Connections" can be used to link primary story clips to other elements like titles and sound effects, so they stay in perfect sync when they are moved. Related story elements can be combined into a "Compound Clip" that can be edited as a single clip.

The new "Auditions" feature also allows users to swap between a collection of clips to instantly compare alternate takes.

"Content Auto-Analysis" will scan media on import and tag content with useful information. Final Cut Pro X then uses that information to dynamically organize clips into "Smart Collections," so the clips can easily be discovered by close up, medium and wide shots as well as media type and the number of people in the shot. Parts of clips can also be tagged with Range-based keywords to add custom search criteria to media.

Completely rebuilt from the ground up, Final Cut Pro X is a 64-bit app that takes full advantage of the latest Mac hardware and software, and even provides performance enhancements with 4K video. Final Cut Pro X uses multi-threaded processing and the GPU for faster background rendering and real-time playback performance. Additionally, a ColorSync-managed color pipeline ensures color consistency from import to output.

Final Cut Pro X also includes tools for audio editing and color correction, and is complemented by two companion apps, Motion 5 for professional motion graphics and Compressor 4 for advanced media encoding, available from the Mac App Store for $49.99 each.

"I?m blown away by what Apple has done with Final Cut Pro, said Angus Wall, Academy Award-winning film editor. "Final Cut Pro X is incredibly modern and fast, but most importantly it lets you focus on telling your story in the most creative way, while it actively manages all of the technical details."

Features

Application

64-bit architecture to take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM

Background rendering using GPU and CPU

ColorSync-managed color pipeline

High-precision floating-point render in linear-light color space

Uses Grand Central Dispatch to tap into all available processors

Full-screen, real-time preview playback of SD, HD, 2K, and 4K media on main screen or an attached LED Cinema Display

Customizable keyboard

Full Unicode support

Editing and Timeline

Magnetic Timeline automatically keeps material in sync, prevents clip collisions, and eliminates gaps.

Clip Connections keep secondary material in place while trimming and moving the Primary Storyline. Choose to hide or display Clip Connections in the timeline.

Compound Clips allow complex compositions to be simplified into a single clip.

Auditions combine multiple clips into a single clip to see alternative takes, color grades, or effects in context.

Duplicate a clip inside an Audition for comparison of different effects on the same clip

Edit while importing media in the background.

View material in Filmstrip or List view with a mini-filmstrip and metadata columns.

Skimming functionality enables fast viewing of large amounts of material.

Skimmable projects in Project Library enable viewing before loading.

Mix frame sizes, frame rates, and formats in the same timeline up to 4K in real time.

Edit at 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, or 60 fps.

Create the correct project setting with the first edit.

Insert, Overwrite, Replace, Append, and Connect with keystroke or drag and drop.

Extend edit to Skimmer position.

Split edits with J and L cuts in the timeline.

Top and Tail in a single keystroke for news and documentary editing.

Direct access to iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, and Aperture through Media Browsers.

Timeline Index for timeline navigation and the selection of items based on text searches and other important metadata.

Position tool for moving and deleting media in the timeline and leaving gap.

Clip Markers that include to-do items that can be checked off when tasks are completed

Snapping to Playhead, Skimmer, Clips, and Markers.

Replace with Gap

Lift from Primary Storyline

Create Storyline to consolidate B-roll into a single unit

Insert Placeholder

Insert Gap

Numeric entry of precise clip durations

Blade tool for adding edits

High-quality, real-time vectorscopes, waveforms, and histograms

Record Audio tool for adding narration

Six Clip Appearance presets for timeline display

Multi-Touch gesture support

Trimming

Inline Precision Editor allows skimming of media around the edit before trimming.

Basic timeline trimming

Trim tool for advanced timeline trimming functions

Ripple and roll

Slip and slide

Lift and ripple delete

Dynamic 2-Up trimming with Show Detailed Trimming Feedback enabled

Keyboard and numeric moving and trimming

Effects

Shared Render Engine with Motion and Compressor

Add multiple effects and transitions within a range selection.

Multistream real-time effects in SD and HD formats

Alpha-channel support in real time

Integration with Motion for advanced motion graphics work

Use ?Open in Motion? on any effect, modify in Motion, and save as new in Final Cut Pro.

Numeric and keyframe control for precise animation and effects

Copy and paste motion and effect attributes to multiple clips.

Access music, sound effects, transitions, filters, color looks, and generators through Media Browsers

Over 160 advanced 2D and 3D title templates

Over 90 high-quality transitions

Over 125 sophisticated animation templates with video drop zones created by a top Hollywood effects company

Over 110 filters, keys, blurs, and color looks

28 backgrounds, elements, solids, and textures

Trim, crop, and Ken Burns effect

Distort tool with keyframes and onscreen controls

Transform tool with keyframes and onscreen controls

Stabilization effect in real time after background analysis

Rolling Shutter correction to improve DSLR video

Spatial Conform to make different aspect ratios fit into a project seamlessly

Retime tool for speed changes controlled in the timeline for entire clips or selected ranges

Rewind, Instant Replay, and Speed Ramp in a single click

Three Retime quality settings: normal, frame blending, and optical flow

Preserve audio pitch when changing speed

Find and Replace Title Text

Show Title/Action Safe Zones for positioning titles and effects

Audio

Subframe audio keyframing

Support for audio samples up to 192kHz

Real-time Mac OS X Audio Units and Logic plug-in effects included

Support for 64-bit third-party Audio Units plug-ins

Keyframable audio levels and effects

Adjust audio filters in real time during playback

5.1 surround monitoring and keyframe control for panning

Preset animations for 5.1 surround panning such as Back to Front, Rotate, Create Space, and more

10- or 31-parameter EQ built into each audio clip

Match Audio for smoothing out EQ from different microphones

Audio enhancements for volume normalization, background noise removal, and hum removal for both 50Hz and 60Hz

Audio analysis during import option to remove serious background noise and flag medium-level issues for enhancement

Over 1300 royalty-free sound effects included as a separate download

Individual audio channel control for enable/disable and configuration

Audio skimming with pitch preserved

Fade handles at the head and tail of each clip

Audio pan controls

Disable and solo controls

Audio waveform display in viewer and timeline

Logarithmic audio fades

More than 100 audio filters

?Show Reference Audio Waveforms? preference to see original waveform height when adjusting volume in the timeline

VU meters that expand as needed

Color Correction

Unique Color Board with controls for saturation, exposure, and color

Match Color for precise shot matching in one click

Balance Color instantly improves skin tones, removes color casts, and expands dynamic range of bright and dark regions of the image.

Keyframable masks with size, rotation, and softness adjustments

Adjust inside or outside of color mask

Unlimited numbers of color corrections per shot

Save and reuse color settings presets

20 Color Board presets

Over 20 advanced color Looks in the Effects Browser

Supported Formats and I/O

Apple ProRes family, a 10-bit, full-width VBR codec that supports all major frame sizes and frame rates from ProRes Proxy to ProRes 4444

Resolutions supported up to 4K frame sizes

Background transcode original media to ProRes 422 or ProRes Proxy for better performance

Create Camera Archives from any folder of media for importing into Final Cut Pro.

Import Camera Archives from third-party video capture cards and software.

Import from Apple devices including iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad 2.

Import projects and Events from iMovie.

Sony IMX, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM HD422 import supported with additional Sony software

FireWire device control for streaming capture for tape-based HDV, DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD

Export presets for Apple devices, including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Export presets for YouTube, Podcast Producer, Facebook, Vimeo, CNN iReport, and email

Export and burn DVD, AVCHD disc, and Blu-ray disc.2

Apple-designed menus for DVDs and animated menus for Blu-ray discs

Export as Image Sequence

Export as HTTP live streaming for Internet streaming to cellular, Wi-Fi, and broadband.

Export audio as AAC, AC3, AIFF, CAF, MP3, and WAVE files.

Native editing support for:

H.264 from GoPro and iFrame cameras

H.264 from DSLR cameras

Broadcast Wave Format

DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD

HDV

Panasonic AVC-Intra, including AVC-Intra 100 and AVC-Intra 50

Sony IMX, XDCAM HD, XDCAM HD422, and XDCAM EX

JVC-created XDCAM EX

Canon XF MPEG-2; ingest supported with additional software

AVCHD, including Panasonic AVCCAM and Sony NXCAM

Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit SD and HD

Apple Intermediate Codec

Still images including PSD, BMP, GIF, RAW, JPEG, PNG, TGA, and TIFF

Compressed audio including AAC, AIFF, BWF, CAF, MP3, MP4, and WAV

Media Management

Content Auto-Analysis attaches useful metadata during import.

Range-based keywords for creating custom searchable metadata

Create Smart Collections for automatically organizing clips based on selected criteria.

Keyword Collection created by importing a folder of media

Mark ranges as Favorites or Rejects for sorting and sifting.

Media management tools for moving and copying media

Render file deletion per project

Move and Merge Events functions

Consolidate Project Media for moving media to another system

Extensive search, sort, and sift capabilities in the Event Browser

Transcode Media function allows a choice between optimizing to ProRes 422 or creating ProRes Proxy media in the background while editing.

Group clips by creation date, date imported, reel, scene, duration, or file type.

Group Events by year or by year and month.

Show date ranges in the Event Library.

Arrange clips by name, take, or duration.

Reveal clip in Finder or Event Browser.

Custom comment fields

Preference for connecting to proxy or original high-resolution media

Send-to-Compressor integration

System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better

2GB of RAM (4GB of RAM recommended)

OpenCL-capable graphics card or

Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later

256MB of VRAM

Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher

Mac OS X v10.6.7 or later

2.4GB of disk space

Pricing and Availability

Final Cut Pro X is available today for $299.99 from the Mac App Store. Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are available today for $49.99 each from the Mac App Store. Full system requirements and more information on Final Cut Pro X can be found at apple.com/finalcutpro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 205
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I am disappointed Apple still has no provisions for trial periods in apps even though their FairPlay DRM already has the ability to kill content (e.g., iTunes movie rentals) after a set time. This isn't a big deal on a 99¢ or $4.99 app, but for $299 I would like to test it out first.
  • Reply 2 of 205
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Checked out the overview video on Apples website. Looks like they have made the whole program simpler to use whilst still providing all of the high end editing features.
  • Reply 3 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am disappointed Apple still has no provisions for trial periods in apps even though their FairPlay DRM already has the ability to kill content (e.g., iTunes movie rentals) after a set time. This isn't a big deal on a 99¢ or $4.99 app, but for $299 I would like to test it out first.

I'd go to the Apple Store and spend as much time as you need to with it before buying.
  • Reply 4 of 205
    Quote:

Good point. From a different perspective, though: This software is both a whole lot more powerful and a whole lot cheaper than the first version (the one I bought) was. Something to be said for the value there (contrast what Apple's done with this compared with, say, Photoshop over the same time span).
  • Reply 5 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'd go to the Apple Store and spend as much time as you need to with it before buying.

We need to band together and do a 2 week trial "sit in" to get Apple to add trial version option to their App Stores.
  • Reply 6 of 205
    Quote:

So how did you test it before when it was $999 for FCS?

I would suggest you go into an Apple Store and take it for a whirl, you might be able to watch some online tutorial videos to get a good feel, and after all that you should phone Apple to see what other options they can provide you.
  • Reply 7 of 205
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I think most people will be very receptive to this update. The shitstorm that is about to erupt on the cinematography blogs will be a sight to behold however. They really don't like change those geezers.
  • Reply 8 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Good point. From a different perspective, though: This software is both a whole lot more powerful and a whole lot cheaper than the first version (the one I bought) was. Something to be said for the value there.

I have qualms about its value for those that know they need it. My position on this is that Apple and 3rd party devs could benefit financially from allowing App Store trial versions.

For instance, I bet a lot of people just don't know how great TomTom for iPhone really is because they aren't willing to fork over the $50+ to try it. Yet if they were given a grab period I bet a good portion of those buyers would keep the app. Since your purchases are recorded on their servers Apple would know if you attempt to "try" it again for free with that user account. I think it's a win-win for Apple, devs and consumers.
  • Reply 9 of 205
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I'm not an expert on available software, but this seems to be one of the most powerful and feature rich programs available for this price point?? Software in general just seems to have jumped a magnitude in capability in the last 3 years. Mostly IMO, due to Apple. Or perhaps I'm drinking too much Apple cool-aid?
  • Reply 10 of 205
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Any upgrade pricing?
  • Reply 11 of 205
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

So how did you test it before when it was $999 for FCS?

I would suggest you go into an Apple Store and take it for a whirl, you might be able to watch some online tutorial videos to get a good feel, and after all that you should phone Apple to see what other options they can provide you.

I am not against trial versions, but FCP is a pro app that will take more than a few whirls to be able to truly assess. If you are a serious video editor but not pro and you want to step up from iMovie, you'd be well advise to take a course which would pro ably cost you at least twice the price of the software.

Hopefully FCP express will become an option.
  • Reply 12 of 205
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Any upgrade pricing?

Upgrade pricing is now pretty much standard pricing for everyone.
  • Reply 13 of 205
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Odd thing about the price: quick check of the Apple Store USA versus Japan, hardware is actually a tad cheaper here, yet FCP is a bit more expensive in Japan than the US. Wonder why.

FCS at current rates should (or could) be 24,000 yen, yet it's 35,000. I guess this is due to the rather slow updates to apps versus hardware. It would be harder to adjust the price for a fluctuation in the exchange rate. So in Japan it costs $437.

Would have hoped that it had been closer to 24,000 yen but it looks like a great app. I will hold off a little until I get a few hardware upgrades/replacements in place. Things aren't easy here in Japan at the moment and prices on many things are going up, not to mention a likely doubling in sales tax coming soon to cover reconstruction costs. If this had been released pre-tsunami, I wouldn't have blinked. Life is a bit different now.

Personally, I need DVD Studio Pro for work (and not FCP as we work with animation)), but as it wasn't released I wonder if it has been EOLed...
  • Reply 14 of 205
    hohlecowhohlecow Posts: 50member
    Is FCP required to use Motion? I've often just pulled clips ino AE for simple editing while compositing and for $50 it would be awesome if I could replace my aging copy of AE with Motion.
  • Reply 15 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Upgrade pricing is now pretty much standard pricing for everyone.

Thanks. As I've been reading on other sites, this is not an upgrade anyway. It's a totally separate program. Supposedly, project files from earlier versions cannot be opened with FCP X. It's early, but initial indications are that there is no RS422 support or 'log and capture'. According to the MacWorld site, this version is "not for Pros".
  • Reply 16 of 205
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I suspect that Apple will introduce a "trial period" later.

This is a rather large app (1.43 GB) and a slew of announcement-day downloads could belly-up Apple's servers.

I am downloading now -- it took several attempts to start the dload.

You could say Apple is catering to the buyie-loos at the expense of the lookie-loos.
  • Reply 17 of 205
    ...but it will import your iMovie events/projects.
  • Reply 18 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a rather large app (1.43 GB) and a slew of announcement-day downloads could belly-up Apple's servers.

I am downloading now -- it took several attempts to start the dload.

Just wait until millions of SL users are forking over $30 to download the 4GB Lion upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 205
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

Is FCP required to use Motion? I've often just pulled clips ino AE for simple editing while compositing and for $50 it would be awesome if I could replace my aging copy of AE with Motion.

Apparently not!

If you go to the app store and click the Motion icon it will link to an info page that lists the requirements -- FCPX is not among them.
  • Reply 20 of 205
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Thanks. As I've been reading on other sites, this is not an upgrade anyway. It's a totally separate program. Supposedly, project files from earlier versions cannot be opened with FCP X. It's early, but initial indications are that there is no RS422 support or 'log and capture'. According to the MacWorld site, this version is "not for Pros".

I suspect the lack of 'Log and capture' has more to do with the way tape based media is heading. I haven't edited from tape in about 2 years.

I am, however, upset that I can't open previous FCP projects when iMovie is supported.