Apple releases Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 205
    garibagariba Posts: 9member
    "Compound Clips allow complex compositions to be simplified into a single clip."

Is this Shake?

Or Shake will appear in one of those two empty boxes at FCX in App Store, later?
  • Reply 22 of 205
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I'm not an expert on available software, but this seems to be one of the most powerful and feature rich programs available for this price point?? Software in general just seems to have jumped a magnitude in capability in the last 3 years. Mostly IMO, due to Apple. Or perhaps I'm drinking too much Apple cool-aid?

When Apple introduced the Mac in 1984, MacWrite was priced at $125 vs over $500 for DOS word processors at the time. A price variance that Jobs pointed out during the launch, as well as, iterating that that was the way of the future.

As evidenced in 1985, Microsoft launched Word and Multiplan for Mac, at $125 each, well under their DOS programs, as well as Wordperfect and Lotus 1-2-3.
  • Reply 23 of 205
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Any upgrade pricing?

Sure. $299.99.
  • Reply 24 of 205
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am disappointed Apple still has no provisions for trial periods in apps even though their FairPlay DRM already has the ability to kill content (e.g., iTunes movie rentals) after a set time. This isn't a big deal on a 99¢ or $4.99 app, but for $299 I would like to test it out first.

This is professional video program which is the industry standard. It had been $1000. If you hadn't tested it out before at that price, it probably isn't for you or your not a pro. Most everyone else should be happy with the price as is.
  • Reply 25 of 205
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

I am disappointed Apple still has no provisions for trial periods in apps even though their FairPlay DRM already has the ability to kill content (e.g., iTunes movie rentals) after a set time. This isn't a big deal on a 99¢ or $4.99 app, but for $299 I would like to test it out first.

I just checked and they have not put it up yet (much to my surprise, you'd think they'd have had it up bright and early this morning), but the new FC X from rippletraining.com should be an excellent way to get a remote look and feel. From the few snippets that leaked out they did a very good job.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

This is professional video program which is the industry standard. It had been $1000. If you hadn't tested it out before at that price, it probably isn't for you or your not a pro. Most everyone else should be happy with the price as is.

All professionals will get this without a second thought (I'd think). The last few upgrades cost way more than this let alone the initial buy in price. I can see sales of Mac Pros and high end MBP i7s just to get this, it is almost a give away to sell hardware ... in fact it is! Having said that, soli's comment is applicable to the pro-sumer market as now they will see FC as a possibility just for fun. They are of a different mind set of course, thinking this is still a costly item just to play with ... which I guess it is. Dentists will be first to buy as usual
  • Reply 26 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure. $299.99.

Well explained. Funny how people always want more isn't it? If it had been free some would have felt a rebate was in order to upgrade.
  • Reply 27 of 205
    Looks like Apple is doing away with educational pricing as well.
  • Reply 28 of 205
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgraphix View Post

Looks like Apple is doing away with educational pricing as well.

Because the FULL PRICE is currently LESS THAN education pricing USED TO BE.

People are disgusting.
  • Reply 29 of 205
    Quote:

People are disgusting.

Certainly not the most admirable species evolution came up with, that's for sure!
  • Reply 30 of 205
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Sure. $299.99.

(sigh)
  • Reply 31 of 205
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gariba View Post

"Compound Clips allow complex compositions to be simplified into a single clip."

Is this Shake?

Or Shake will appear in one of those two empty boxes at FCX in App Store, later?

Shake is dead a while ago I believe that the source code was even available there for a bit. Motion is it now, or else you have AE as a comparison app from adobe. Still both are no flame/ flint or mudbox
  • Reply 32 of 205
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well explained. Funny how people always want more isn't it? If it had been free some would have felt a rebate was in order to upgrade.

Quote:

People are disgusting.

Yes, people are. Thanks for the demonstration.
  • Reply 33 of 205
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Or worse, they buy Tom Tom and find out for fifty bucks it doesn't work nearly as well as cheaper competitors like Navagon. The Dark Vader and Homer Simpson voices are cool though.

Quote:

For instance, I bet a lot of people just don't know how great TomTom for iPhone really is because they aren't willing to fork over the $50+ to try it.

• Reply 34 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I'm not an expert on available software, but this seems to be one of the most powerful and feature rich programs available for this price point?? Software in general just seems to have jumped a magnitude in capability in the last 3 years. Mostly IMO, due to Apple. Or perhaps I'm drinking too much Apple cool-aid?

Forgive the marketing-speak, but Final Cut Pro does seem to be a quantum leap in capabilities/interface. But part of that is due to the previous Final Cut being so out of date Like jumping from 2005 to 2015.

In terms of the rest of software, I think it's awesome what Apple is doing with the iOS and Mac App Stores. I'm oversimplifying - but before, you either had to get software from the big companies (Microsoft, Adobe) or risk getting a virus from some random website you found online. The App Stores provide quality, security, and ease of download/licensing to hundreds of millions. It also levels the playing field. If I can write a great app, I can sell it and distribute it at no cost to myself (OK, a one-time $99 fee).

You get apps like the $30 Pixelmator that does 90% of what Photoshop does (for most people) for 10% of the cost. Final Cut Pro (+Motion and +Compressor) goes for $400 instead of $1,000. OS upgrades for $30.

So what you get is a platform that is profitable, competitive, level (sort of), and secure. I think that's what's behind the recent renaissance in apps that we've been witnessing.
  • Reply 35 of 205
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Ok, so we know what the minimum system requirement is for running FCP-X, but what about a recommended setting? The only "recommended" spec they mention is 4GB of RAM. Besides that, there's nothing. I take this to mean that the sky is the limit when it comes hardware configurations and the software will just use whatever is available. What I'm trying to decide is whether to get a top-of-the-line iMac (will 4 cores and 16GB of RAM give good performance?) or do I wait until after Lion and new Mac Pros are released. Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 36 of 205
    Playing around....

Looks intuitive -- FCP with an iMovie-style UI -- haven't used help or docs, yet!

Real plus: FCPX can now view and selectively import AVCHD Archives (Copy of the AVCHD card) ala iMovie -- instead of expanding/importing first. This one thing allows you to store an 8 GB AVCHD card on HDD as 8 GB -- as opposed to expanding it to about 57 GB (saves time and HDD storage)

One no-like: When you import Events (clips) as above, you can't use a "/" in the title -- just like in iMovie... Hey guys, Apple resolved the "/" conflict in filenames in OS X 10.1.
  • Reply 37 of 205
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I think most people will be very receptive to this update. The shitstorm that is about to erupt on the cinematography blogs will be a sight to behold however. They really don't like change those geezers.

Maybe, but this was very well received when it was demoed at NAB and while they were probably TV editors rather than movie editors, looked to me like they were very happy, especially with the magnetic timeline functionality, which makes incredible sense.
  • Reply 38 of 205
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

If you don't know that you need or want FCP, a trial period won't help. This isn't meant for an amateur to toodle around with, even at its really low price.

What I'm wondering about is what's happening with their $299 FCE? There is no place for it in the pricing schedule now, and I haven't read if they're continuing it at a lower price, or just letting it go.
  • Reply 39 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Playing around....

Looks intuitive -- FCP with an iMovie-style UI -- haven't used help or docs, yet!

Real plus: FCPX can now view and selectively import AVCHD Archives (Copy of the AVCHD card) ala iMovie -- instead of expanding/importing first. This one thing allows you to store an 8 GB AVCHD card on HDD as 8 GB -- as opposed to expanding it to about 57 GB (saves time and HDD storage)

One no-like: When you import Events (clips) as above, you can't use a "/" in the title -- just like in iMovie... Hey guys, Apple resolved the "/" conflict in filenames in OS X 10.1.

Sounding good. Just watched the online demo vid and it looks awesome.

Would love to hear any comments about audio adjustments (I've used Soundtrack Pro for editing voice recordings).
  • Reply 40 of 205
    Quote:

Sure. $299.99.

How about upgrade pricing for those of us who own FC Express?