Apple releases Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 205
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I think most people will be very receptive to this update. The shitstorm that is about to erupt on the cinematography blogs will be a sight to behold however. They really don't like change those geezers.

FCS already has almost 50% of all the pro editing market. This will just mean that it will go over 50% this year, or early next. The upgrade is so vast in scope. The only thing I'm wondering about is how the color correction tools compare to Color in my older version. I'll find out later today, after I get this and have some time to play with it.
  • Reply 42 of 205
    I would assume that it does based on the statements that FCP X won't open old FCP files, but was just curious if both the old and new program operated as separate "stand alone" programs.

Thanks.
  • Reply 43 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have qualms about its value for those that know they need it. My position on this is that Apple and 3rd party devs could benefit financially from allowing App Store trial versions.

For instance, I bet a lot of people just don't know how great TomTom for iPhone really is because they aren't willing to fork over the $50+ to try it. Yet if they were given a grab period I bet a good portion of those buyers would keep the app. Since your purchases are recorded on their servers Apple would know if you attempt to "try" it again for free with that user account. I think it's a win-win for Apple, devs and consumers.

Sol, this is a very well known, and very popular pro grade program. It isn't for playing around with. There are numerous books on all the older versions, and will soon be for this. There are already a couple out. In order to learn what this program can do, you really need to go to a seminar at Apple, or a third party, buy at least one book, and preferably, join the FCP user group.

Don't compare this to the Tom Tom app in the app store. Heavy duty professional programs aren't "tried out" before buying. You find out what program you are expected to need, and you go and learn how to use it. Then you do. This is awfully cheap for a program at this level, much cheaper than any other program that's in any way comparable. Most video editing Pro's wouldn't even think before laying down the cash for this sight unseen.
  • Reply 44 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Any upgrade pricing?

From what? FCS had cost $999, as Apple had lowered the price several times over the years. The upgrade from one version to the next had cost even more than this early on, and then dropped to $300. That makes this price an upgrade price, and all the later versions, if Apple keeps this pricing, the same price as an upgrade.if they later decide to integrate Motion and Compressor, then it will be an even better bargain.but this price is already a stunning drop.
  • Reply 45 of 205
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeatherguyNH View Post

How about upgrade pricing for those of us who own FC Express?

Just like the auto industry does.

You could sell your FX Express. Used is going for $120. If you get anyone to buy it, I have a bridge for sale.
  • Reply 46 of 205
    $399 for FP, Motion and Compressor is a super price! I don't know why so many complainers! I can see more and more kids creating some neat stuff! good equipment is less expensive to get, hardware is getting more powerful at reasonable prices,and software like this is coming down in prices...

I have a studio, my associates and I give a huge standing ovation to apple for another great decision!!

:-)
  • Reply 47 of 205
    Quote:

Thanks. As I've been reading on other sites, this is not an upgrade anyway. It's a totally separate program. Supposedly, project files from earlier versions cannot be opened with FCP X. It's early, but initial indications are that there is no RS422 support or 'log and capture'. According to the MacWorld site, this version is "not for Pros".

That's incorrect. Where did you read that in Macworld. I didn't see it. But several older standards have been going by the wayside recently. One of those is RS422. I don't know about log and capture yet.
  • Reply 48 of 205
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Any upgrade pricing?

$299US.

Which oddly enough is roughly what a previous FCP update would have been.

Or $99 more than the old version of FCE.
  • Reply 49 of 205
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Playing around....

Looks intuitive -- FCP with an iMovie-style UI -- haven't used help or docs, yet!

Real plus: FCPX can now view and selectively import AVCHD Archives (Copy of the AVCHD card) ala iMovie -- instead of expanding/importing first. This one thing allows you to store an 8 GB AVCHD card on HDD as 8 GB -- as opposed to expanding it to about 57 GB (saves time and HDD storage)

One no-like: When you import Events (clips) as above, you can't use a "/" in the title -- just like in iMovie... Hey guys, Apple resolved the "/" conflict in filenames in OS X 10.1.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of the machine you are running it on?
  • Reply 50 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hopefully FCP express will become an option.

Nope. As per the last public preview exposition of FCPX, there will be no Express version.

iMovie for amateurs, FCPX for serious work.

Heck, FCE 4 was $200 (and you can get it from Amazon now for $180). It's gone from the Apple Store already.
  • Reply 51 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Or worse, they buy Tom Tom and find out for fifty bucks it doesn't work nearly as well as cheaper competitors like Navagon. The Dark Vader and Homer Simpson voices are cool though.

I use Motion X Drive on my iPad2. Fantastic app, and really cheap too.
  • Reply 52 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Ok, so we know what the minimum system requirement is for running FCP-X, but what about a recommended setting? The only "recommended" spec they mention is 4GB of RAM. Besides that, there's nothing. I take this to mean that the sky is the limit when it comes hardware configurations and the software will just use whatever is available. What I'm trying to decide is whether to get a top-of-the-line iMac (will 4 cores and 16GB of RAM give good performance?) or do I wait until after Lion and new Mac Pros are released. Decisions, decisions.

As it uses Open CL and Grand Central, it will be able to use whatever you've got. The more the better. A really fast storage subsystem will be helpful for projects with HD.
  • Reply 53 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I'm wondering about is what's happening with their $299 FCE? There is no place for it in the pricing schedule now, and I haven't read if they're continuing it at a lower price, or just letting it go.

It's gone. The recent public demo mentioned that it won't exist; iMovie at the bottom, FCPX for the high end.
  • Reply 54 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weatherguynh View Post

how about upgrade pricing for those of us who own fc express?

$299.
  • Reply 55 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeatherguyNH View Post

How about upgrade pricing for those of us who own FC Express?

I don't think that's an upgrade path. I don't even know if they will keep FCE in the product line, or if they do, at what price. They may have more information on that in the coming days.
  • Reply 56 of 205
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

As it uses Open CL and Grand Central, it will be able to use whatever you've got. The more the better.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured.

Quote:

A really fast storage subsystem will be helpful for projects with HD.

A Drobo with Thunderbolt would be nice.
  • Reply 57 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

It's gone. The recent public demo mentioned that it won't exist; iMovie at the bottom, FCPX for the high end.

Yeah? Too bad. They should have kept it at $79, the same price as Aperture in the App Store is now. There would have been a market for it.
  • Reply 58 of 205
    Quote:

I don't think that's an upgrade path. I don't even know if they will keep FCE in the product line, or if they do, at what price. They may have more information on that in the coming days.

Just checked the Apple online store.

It's gone. Mentions of it are being expunged, too.
  • Reply 59 of 205
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am disappointed Apple still has no provisions for trial periods in apps even though their FairPlay DRM already has the ability to kill content (e.g., iTunes movie rentals) after a set time. This isn't a big deal on a 99¢ or $4.99 app, but for $299 I would like to test it out first.

How is this any different than their $999 software with a 'no returns on open software' policy.

It's not. So you do what you did then. You go hang out at the Apple Store for a hour or so and try out the software.
  • Reply 60 of 205
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

That's incorrect. Where did you read that in Macworld. I didn't see it. But several older standards have been going by the wayside recently. One of those is RS422. I don't know about log and capture yet.

Which of my statements is incorrect? I assume you mean the statement about the program not being "pro". You are correct, Gary Adcock did not say that in his piece found on MacWorld.com

http://www.macworld.com/article/1606...1/06/fcpx.html

He said it later in this forum

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/2522

Sorry about the mixup.