• Reply 41 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

or the best.

Who has a more simple ecosystem, then?

Quote:

Hackintosh. people sell those even

Not since Psystar was sued into oblivion.

Quote:

, so no reason to say "i can't make one"

Make? Sure. Sell? Illegal.

Quote:

you can talk about how "but sometimes it windows" but aren't there computer SET UP to be able to run windows fine...?

I don't recall ever having such bad grammar or ever talking about that subject.

Quote:

or as i sum it up, if Steve Job's could have Apple design a computer/tablet that when you turned it sideways it would be impossible to see, he would.

So would I. I'm fine with my electronic devices being the width of one electron. That just means they can be larger, rolled up, embedded anywhere, or more portable.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    dbdukesdbdukes Posts: 12member
    Apple Store appears to have completed updating. All references I've seen now refer to 2TB and 3TB. And pricing is $299/$499 for 2TB/3TB.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The Time Capsules have always been a rip off.

Why not buy an Airport Extreme Base station and attach a hard drive of your choosing via USB, granted it's not as elegant but you still get the excellent base station hardware and software whilst saving lots of cash.

Works well for me.

2nd that. I have a time capsule. 2nd one, first melted its capacitors as they often do. Apple may have replaced it but hey it was their design fault and no offer to save my data. Ok no big deal this time but all they have to do was pull out the drive and mirror it. The least they could do after designing such a junkheap. I would and will go the separate drive and router way next time. Elegant is not worth it is your data isn't safe!
  • Reply 44 of 77
    I think $299 is not a bad price for the 2GB one. I wonder if there is any difference between this model and the previous model (except the part number).
  • Reply 45 of 77
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those are tech sexy!
    Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.

From what I have seen, iTunes servers only work with non-DRM content, so no video. The product spec page for the QNAP product says nothing about video, only music. Chances are, for most people, something like this would not work for their entire iTunes library.

-kpluck
  • Reply 46 of 77
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I would just love for the new TC to run iTunes. I wouldn't have to leave my computers on just to stream movies. And hopefully a thunderbolt port for additional storage.

If you have newer Macs, set them to Wake on Wifi. The Airport and TC have Bonjour proxy, so it'll wake your Mac up automatically.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

There is a market out there for the Time Capsule but I doubt any of us are in that group of customers. Those who buy a Time Capsule are not tech savvy and just need somewhere to back files up to through their Macs.

Careful about your assumptions there tech boy!

Thanks, but I get all the technical stimulation I need taking care of the server at work, not to mention the router and its lovely and intuitive web browser interface.

I'm more than happy to have a TimeCapsule for our home network. Range and throughput are quite good, cable management needs are reduced, and the TimeMachine backups from my MBP are always there with no effort on my part. That's all worth money to me. If my TC died today I'd be home with a replacement before cocktail hour.

Not the high capacity version though. Apple thinks a bit too much of itself with that one.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    everyone here complaining about costs, i can share some 'real world' experience.

I have had terastations, readyNas's and windows home servers from HP. they have all come and gone , however, the 2 TB Time Capsule always remains.

why?

because it works perfectly with my 3 macs in my house. nothing else even comes close if you want to use Time capsule for backing up and restoring a mac.

all the others advertise they will work... well they don't. just try to restore a mac book pro booting from a DVD looking for a time capsule that is not really a REAL time capsule.

I will pay $500 seven days a week and twice on Sundays for a real backup solution.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    I have the original 1TB Time Capsule and haven't had a single issue with it. I love it. Super easy to set up and I don't ever have to think about it. If I was in the market for another, I'd have no worries jumping on one of these new models. Does that make me a tech illiterate or an Apple fan boy? I don't know, but it sure gives me ease of mind with no worry.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do hope the rumours about an iOS based Time Capsule-like product are true, but I hope they are as an Apple Home Server where it being iOS-based makes a lot more sense.

the time capsule was created for a singular purpose -- backups. Yes some more tech savvy folks have figured out they can use it a file server but that is not what it was made for. And it doesn't need iOS etc for its intended purpose.

If you want a server, you get a server and proper server software. Especially now that it is only $50 rather than $500 (or will be in a few more weeks). You'll have proper server software and not something cobbled by iOS's lack of a universal file system or direct file access.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

From what I have seen, iTunes servers only work with non-DRM content, so no video. The product spec page for the QNAP product says nothing about video, only music. Chances are, for most people, something like this would not work for their entire iTunes library.

-kpluck

I purchased a 2x1TB Dlink NAS for just over $200. it wasn't plug and play but really not that difficult to set up. I can access it from my IPad but I have never got the Itunes server to work.

The connected PCs on the other hand are a PITA. They attempt to mount network drives before connecting to the network (both hardwired and WiFi). Google found lots of people with the same problem but no solution.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The Time Capsules have always been a rip off.

Why not buy an Airport Extreme Base station and attach a hard drive of your choosing via USB, granted it's not as elegant but you still get the excellent base station hardware and software whilst saving lots of cash.

Works well for me.

Plus the power supplies had a horrible record of dying.

Apple give you a new TC but you lose your backup history.

I would not upgrade my 500GB to a higher size TC, just plug in a hard drive and be happier that the next power supply that goes won't take my data with it.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    I have a hunch that there may be some hidden features in Time Capsules, waiting to be unlocked with 10.7...
  • Reply 54 of 77
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Careful about your assumptions there tech boy!

Thanks, but I get all the technical stimulation I need taking care of the server at work, not to mention the router and its lovely and intuitive web browser interface.

I'm with you there.

When I'm done working for the day, the last thing I need is tech problems to solve at home.

My consumer tech should just work and that includes best practice such as backup.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I think $299 is not a bad price for the 2GB one. I wonder if there is any difference between this model and the previous model (except the part number).

I have tried to upgrade the old 1 GB version with a 3 GB hard drive and it didn't work out. So I suppose the new models feature a firmware/chipset that can cope with hard drives >2,2 TB.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Plus the power supplies had a horrible record of dying.

Apple give you a new TC but you lose your backup history.

I would not upgrade my 500GB to a higher size TC, just plug in a hard drive and be happier that the next power supply that goes won't take my data with it.

You can back up your Time Capsule to another drive which, if you don't have an off site back up, you should probably be doing anyway. Back the TC up a couple of times per month and move the drive to another location in case of theft or fire, etc.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281

-kpluck
  • Reply 57 of 77
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

There is a market out there for the Time Capsule but I doubt any of us are in that group of customers. Those who buy a Time Capsule are not tech savvy and just need somewhere to back files up to through their Macs.

+1

Apple will have to pry my Raid-5 array out of my cold dead hands, but if I was going to setup a backup solution for a totaly clueless friend who used mac I'd probably give recommend the time-capsule thingy.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

-kpluck

Works fine, it actually appears in iTunes as a shard library. If you have DRM content you just have to authorise your machines to play it. It works fine but for DRM content you still have the 5 machine limitation.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    h0pperh0pper Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I have a hunch that there may be some hidden features in Time Capsules, waiting to be unlocked with 10.7...

I agree!!!!
  • Reply 60 of 77
    I would love to buy one, and I will just as soon as they add a bandwidth monitor to their software. Honestly, with the prevalence of data caps, even with so-called "unlimited" plans, I cannot understand why this is not a standard feature in all routers and other such devices. I regularly make use of my entire monthly allotment of bandwidth, and my Linksys router flashed with Tomato firmware is the only way I can know how close I am to my limit.